Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel like they're in a constant state of anxiety when they have to do things that go against their INFJ nature?

I find that while I can cope with all of my life I think I experience anxiety more than others even though they can't tell because I've almost just learned to accept it. But even when things are good, fun, positive, etc. it's almost as if my nervous system is so sensitive that I'm still always a bit on edge.

So I guess I'm just curious if others feel this way and if they just learned to live with it and tame it like I have or if it's possible to just get rid of that edgy feeling altogether.

What I meant by going against our nature is having to socialize with many strangers, being in intense environments like with lots of noise and people especially alone, forcing yourself to not be calm as INFJs tend to be but be more fakey and peppy, stuff like that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You're not alone. Even in normal situations, I'm always a little anxious. It's become second nature to me so it hardly has an effect on me but it's there.

Reactions: Kharyzmatiq

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yes, and sometimes even when doing things that are within my nature because there will always be cause for anxiety regardless of how improbable the dreaded circumstances may be, or how fruitless the worrying may be. It's certainly not by choice that I'm so anxiety ridden.. it's just sort of always there.

It's at its worst when I'm doing stuff that everyone else I'm around seems to legitimately love but which makes me nervous. Especially when some of these people can be apathetic, incendiary assholes when they sense weakness lol.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Does anyone else feel like they're in a constant state of anxiety when they have to do things that go against their INFJ nature?

What I meant by going against our nature is having to socialize with many strangers, being in intense environments like with lots of noise and people especially alone, forcing yourself to not be calm as INFJs tend to be but be more fakey and peppy, stuff like that.
Yes. I run a computer repair business and I do accounting for people, plus have a regular accounting job. I'm anxious all the time, and I hate it.

I always want to quit doing computer repair, not because I'm that bad at it; it's just an anxiety thing. My main job I love and there's little to no anxiety there. I just want to do that more.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I have anxiety all the time. I don't remember when I was last properly relaxed. It just seems like either I'm worrying about something to do with my life or someone else's, or both. If there's no problem, I worry about things like the world ending or people I know dying.

It doesn't help that (thanks to hypoglycemia) I have a very bad memory and worry I haven't done something I need to (and I forget to make lists for things I need to do).

·
Registered
93 Posts
T_T Anxiety, I try not to worry about things and may seem like I don't to the external world, but on the inside, it just feels like there's too much to worry about sometimes, especially when others expect things of you that involve getting you out of your comfort zone, such as getting around to calling other people, forcing information out of them, starting conflicts and complaining.

·
Registered
603 Posts
no, but i used to. crowds just irritate me more than intimidate me nowadays.

on the other hand, doing things that break my moral code or cause me to lose touch with myself makes me feel literally sick.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think that's one of the core traits which we need to get used to with our anxiety. I tend to lose appetite, sleep, energy whenever I feel anxious. I especially felt anxiety hit me the hardest when I do not know what's going to happen next when my Ni-Ti keeps clouded me with suspicions or ominous thoughts.

However, if you try to view anxiety positively, you'll notice that perfectionism is stemmed from anxiety. That's probably why most INFJs try their best not to waste their time on meaningless relationships nor dreadful commitments. I know we tend to end up worrying the most pointless things, but that in turn make us more cautious in refining any task and relationship. Once we started worry excessively, it actually serves us better for the sake of self-protection--especially in avoidance or minimizing the possibilities of getting hurt.

The key is that we should not let anxiety to ruin our lives by being obsessed about it. And that we also need to learn how to give the benefits of doubts (especially toward the issue on trusting people) if we have limited cues through our Ni. Sometimes, I've often found trusting too much or relying on our own introverted intuition can lead us in paranoia or inaction.

I suppose the key is in moderation and don't let anxiety to swallow us entirely and affect our relationships with others or future goals. Keep focusing on thinking in the present may also help. Try to learn from our NF cousin (ENFP). Very often, having a good dose of optimism is the key of overcoming pointless anxiety.

·
Registered
407 Posts
General anxiety is second nature to me. I wake up everyday and experience it and even to this day since childhood, I find it hard to talk to people on the phone unless I'm pretty close and comfortable with them. It prevented me from learning how to drive early and finding a better job than what I am working now. I don't want it to run my life but I just find it hard to get over it and feel more confident in my own abilities. I can pick up on skills well and have the ability to learn quickly but I have such a confidence issue with it that I make myself so nervous that I have a greater tendency to screw things up.

I do tend to slightly hyperventilate from time to time where I have to catch some air that feel similar to panic attacks. Best way is to get away from the stimulus to that situation and tell yourself to keep taking deep breaths and clear your head of the thoughts that are getting to you.

·
Registered
179 Posts

I find that while I can cope with all of my life I think I experience anxiety more than others even though they can't tell because I've almost just learned to accept it. But even when things are good, fun, positive, etc. it's almost as if my nervous system is so sensitive that I'm still always a bit on edge.

So I guess I'm just curious if others feel this way and if they just learned to live with it and tame it like I have or if it's possible to just get rid of that edgy feeling altogether.

I can definitely relate to your experiences. There's this personality quiz on Facebook called MyPersonality that measures the Big 5 factors thought to comprise personality type. I scored extremely high (in, like, the 99th percentile) on neuroticism, or emotional instability. The quality entails frequent anxiety, mood swings, and general negative emotionality. I invited a bunch of my friends to evaluate me on the quiz, and the one friend who did actually take the inventory scored me in only the 25th percentile for neuroticism. So it would seem that my anxiety, too, goes largely unnoticed by my family and friends.

To tie this in with Jungian typology, I'd say this anxiety stems partly from our inferior Se. Se is the function that allows one to engage with the present moment and to "think on your feet", as they say. While we may shine here when it comes to dealing with people one-on-one, when forced to deal with many different people in a fast-paced or business environment we become overwhelmed. Se as our inferior is largely unconscious and we are thus ill-equipped for handling the loads of concrete details that one must both notice and act on when treading new and rapidly-changing territory.

Ni-Fe can also contribute to our anxiety. Ni is constantly trying to predict the future while Fe wants to accommodate the needs of everyone we meet, even if it comes at the expense of our own needs. Attempting to ascertain and fulfill the often conflicting desires of so many people is a lost cause, and we know it. The expectation of that impending failure in addition to the sheer stress of an introvert trying to use an extroverted function like an extravert will undoubtedly make for a state of perpetual anxiety.

Reactions: zenity

·
Registered
65 Posts
I feel the same way, does anyone else suffer anxiety attacks? I get a migraine then puke my guts out for about 10 hours straight. FUN!
Yeah, my first anxiety attacks that i can remember of happened when i was 5! Nowadays i just avoid stressfull activities. I've suffered from hyperventilation several times, the first time was very scary, loosing all feeling in my arms was a very traumatic experience (i was driving at the same time)...

In any case for anyone suffering from anxiety, relax, take time for yourself everyday, do some sports, avoid drinking too much coffee and smoking to many cigs. Weed can be a way to relax yourself, but smoking too much while being stressed led to panic attacks too...

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
other people can never tell, because...being a type 9...I appear so chill most of the time
Is that what that is? When I'm anxious, you will RARELY know. I become this actress who is cool, collected and confidant. In fact, I'm pretty sure that behavior increases my anxiety rush. On the inside, I'm all over the place.

Reactions: Lightlilly
1 - 15 of 15 Posts