Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a job, and fast. My dad lost his job because he did something very stupid and very illegal, so he won't be able to support me much longer. I'm currently receiving $440 a month from him (which is enough because my grandparents are letting me stay in a condo that they own but aren't living in for free and I don't eat much), but the last time I'll receive that money will be on January 24th. After that, I'm on my own. But I just don't know what to do. At first, I was just like, okay, I'll get a job in fast food or retail because it doesn't require experience and it's easy and I'll only be doing it until I have kids anyway because I wanna be a stay at home mom so I can home school my kids. But now no place like that is hiring near me. And I'm not very good with people anyway because being raised by autistic parents stunted my social skills. I just feel like I won't be able to do anything and nobody would hire me, and everything I've seen on Indeed that doesn't require talking on the phone (I really hate talking on the phone) requires a degree and/or experience. Except for tutoring and pet sitting, but I don't know how to tutor someone and all the pet sitting jobs are only for, like, a week.

There are plenty of things I'd LIKE to do, but the fact of the matter is that they're impossible for me. I thought about working for the CPS because I really want to be able to help other kids who were abused (I was abused until my grandparents convinced my dad to let me live with them when I was 15) and there's a program that pays for everything as long as you agree to work for the CPS in that state for at least three years after getting the degree, but I would probably start crying when interviewing kids or going into their homes and that wouldn't be good, and I don't think I can handle college anyway. I couldn't even handle one class. I thought about being a counselor, but there's still the issue with not being able to handle college. And I can't get a scholarship because I did poorly in high school. And it would take me 12 years to get that degree because I obviously can't afford to go to college full-time. And I'm not good with people anyway. I wanted to be an artist for a while because I'm really good at drawing, but I'm too slow. I wanted to be a first grade teacher, but again, college. Same goes for being a translator, which I wanted to do because I did so well in Spanish class. And being a psychiatric technician. (I considered that because it doesn't take as much school as being a counselor but I would still get to help mentally ill people.) I used to want to be a writer, but I stopped writing after eighth grade, partly because I thought I wasn't any good and partly because depression caused me to lose interest in that and many other things. I'd really love to be a singer, but I would have to be very lucky to be able to make a living doing that.

I seem to have a natural talent for sewing, but I would have to take a class to learn all the techniques needed for a career in that. I was a transcriptionist for nine months, but that didn't work out because I sometimes couldn't concentrate well enough to get enough work done. I wanted to do freelance transcription after I lost that job because I was good at it and I thought that something where I get paid for the amount of work I do instead of how long I work would be a good fit so I wouldn't get really stressed if I took longer than usual to do the work, but the websites I signed up for hardly had anything I was "qualified" to do and I couldn't make enough money from it. I wanted to be a proofreader because I have good grammar (other than these really long sentences, but this is casual conversation, so I think it's okay) and I often notice errors in things I read, but my grandparents told me not to take the self-paced online class I found for it. They said that almost all online classes that aren't from actual colleges are scams and there's no way to tell which ones are and which ones aren't. Obviously a college class isn't an option, so that's another thing that's completely impossible.

So yeah. Basically everything I want to do is impossible. Any suggestions? Because to me, it seems like I'll never be able to get a job because nobody in their right mind would ever hire me and I'll probably end up homeless or something and then I won't even be able to afford the medications that keep me from being so emotionally unstable that anything could trigger a suicide attempt. Even if I survive not having my medications, nobody will want to marry an extremely unstable homeless lady, so even getting married and being a mom will be impossible. *crying*

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
You're not a polished gem, holy crap!!!! Don't worry social skills just take time, most of us have a little natural charisma anyway. So we can be a little weird, but get away with it.

Things you need to know.

Number 1: You must DO.

Number 2: Anything, do anything.

You got spunk kid. Be a waitress. The tips will be well above minimum wage, you can practice socializing, and you can meet many different contacts. Believe it or not, people like to help genuine people, especially ones with genuine dreams.

If they say they aren't hiring, tell them great, I would like to still like to fill out an application. Go to every restaurant in town. Ask to speak to the manager when you go back and hand them all in, don't wait on a phone call Or email.

Pursue the other side jobs after, but you can easily make a living at a restaurant. Fast food is a joke. Feeling anxiety while going to these places? Bring a friend or family member. Just remember everything you do during this time is going to make your life a lot better.

Experiencing new things can be scary, but experiencing nothing new..well that is far worse.

·
King of Swing
8,790 Posts
You could try sales. You just walk up to people and talk to them. The product speaks for itself, and you just have to learn how it works, what it does, and look after your customers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're not a polished gem, holy crap!!!! Don't worry social skills just take time, most of us have a little natural charisma anyway. So we can be a little weird, but get away with it.

Things you need to know.

Number 1: You must DO.

Number 2: Anything, do anything.

You got spunk kid. Be a waitress. The tips will be well above minimum wage, you can practice socializing, and you can meet many different contacts. Believe it or not, people like to help genuine people, especially ones with genuine dreams.

If they say they aren't hiring, tell them great, I would like to still like to fill out an application. Go to every restaurant in town. Ask to speak to the manager when you go back and hand them all in, don't wait on a phone call Or email.

Pursue the other side jobs after, but you can easily make a living at a restaurant. Fast food is a joke. Feeling anxiety while going to these places? Bring a friend or family member. Just remember everything you do during this time is going to make your life a lot better.

Experiencing new things can be scary, but experiencing nothing new..well that is far worse.
Uh... *looks up the definition of spunk to make sure I'm not confused* What makes you say I have spunk? Also, I'm not a kid. I'm 20. And I'm kind of confused by your first sentence? And it's more than just that I'm socially awkward. I often offend people without meaning to. If I get a job as a waitress, I'll probably offend someone and then I'll get fired. *crying again* I also have a very hard time smiling when I don't feel like it, so it's pretty dumb that I was even considering a job where I would be expected to do that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could try sales. You just walk up to people and talk to them. The product speaks for itself, and you just have to learn how it works, what it does, and look after your customers.
Walking up to people and talking to them is hard. I can barely even do that with my friends.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Oh you're not a polished gem. Yeah no one expects you to show up and be a rock star at your job, you will need "polishing" no matter what field you enter. That's all I meant. Was on an old time movie binge earlier, they always say ya got spunk kid. Just keep your determination to find a job, even though you'll be super uncomfortable.

One thing I have learned though, working on your weaknesses will benefit you greatly. And you know your strengths. Becoming self reliant, especially for me, was Very satisfying. Don't worry about offending people, I think it's better than always trying to please people. But customer service blah blah blah...search thoroughly, and be good at what you do..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh you're not a polished gem. Yeah no one expects you to show up and be a rock star at your job, you will need "polishing" no matter what field you enter. That's all I meant. Was on an old time movie binge earlier, they always say ya got spunk kid. Just keep your determination to find a job, even though you'll be super uncomfortable.

One thing I have learned though, working on your weaknesses will benefit you greatly. And you know your strengths. Becoming self reliant, especially for me, was Very satisfying. Don't worry about offending people, I think it's better than always trying to please people. But customer service blah blah blah...search thoroughly, and be good at what you do..
What makes you think I'm determined? It's so overwhelming that I usually just sit at home wasting my time playing Neopets. I barely eat and the condo is a mess.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I should've posted this in the Advice Center. I posted it here because I figured that people would take my personality type into consideration if I posted here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts