Personality Cafe banner

Any choleric INTP's?

[INTP] 
16K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  lww23 
#1 · (Edited)
After looking over "the 4 temperaments", and even taking some of the tests I found out I am actually choleric. I am also very sure I am an INTP. On a first glance, INTP's fit better with melancholic, I think. Any other choleric INTP's?

I am a choleric melancholic, apparently.

Description:

The Strategist is more detail oriented than the other Cholerics. They initiate change. They usually operate from a well-thought through plan. They have creative ideas. They will often use very direct, forceful and persistent methods to get results or promote their ideas. They want to be in charge because of confidence in their ability to make things happen the "right" way. They like to solve problems and make decisions¾and are actually quite able to do so. They usually have well thought-out goals and are very independent in an attempt to carry them out. They need to know exactly what is expected before they can function efficiently. They can be very forceful and very sensitive. They speak with authority and are usually very productive. When working on a project they exhibit sensitivity and strategy that reveals penetrating insight. To be highly motivated they need freedom, the opportunity for advancement, information that will help them get results and the chance to make something better. They dislike weakness.
This seems to fit INTJ, but mutatis mutandis, I think INTP fits as well.

#3 ·
what do you mean for choleric?
The main reason I relate to the choleric temperament is the constant mood swings. It's also one of the reasons I thought I wasn't at all an INTP for a lot of time (when I was younger I thought there was something wrong with me and that I was going crazy).

Other than that, I relate a lot to the choleric-melancholic description, which I gave in my first post. I get angry quite a lot, and am also very confrontational (intellectually more than physically) and am very, very competitive, while I hate to lose etc. Overall, I find that I fit in that description, minus the commanding speech part (I am usually very polite and avoid making demands because I hate them). I'm also not much of a leader, but somehow I seem to inspire others at times.

I tend to be one of those annoying justice warriors you see everywhere, sometimes.

#9 ·
if it helps, like @SilverFalcon, I score fairly equal among enneagram 5,6,9,4. (5,9 at 7 points, 9,4 at 6 points, rest below 4 in last test made.)
When I mentioned balance, I meant the 4/6 wings. I have strongest 5, slightly weaker 9 and than a bit of gap towards 4/6.

I believe the 5 is highly melancholic, 9 is highly phlegmatic, 4 might be choleric and 6 choleric/melancholic.

#10 · (Edited)
phlegmatic = calm
-- having an unemotional and stolidly calm disposition.
synonyms: calm, cool, composed

san·guine == optimistic
optimistic or positive, especially in an apparently bad or difficult situation.
synonyms: optimistic, bullish, hopeful, buoyant, positive, confident, cheerful, cheery; informalupbeat

chol·er·ic -- bad-tempered or irritable.

melancholic = sadness

Just in case people like smaller words.

edit: interesting how i didn't call the theory wrong but that's what I was thinking. To do that, I would have had to think about it and I didn't. I'm leaving this here as punishment to myself for making the mistake. ((not so happy anymore :sad: .. ok, now i'm better. Something about over-reacting to it that seems silly))

#14 ·
phlegmatic = calm
-- having an unemotional and stolidly calm disposition.
synonyms: calm, cool, composed

san·guine == optimistic
optimistic or positive, especially in an apparently bad or difficult situation.
synonyms: optimistic, bullish, hopeful, buoyant, positive, confident, cheerful, cheery; informalupbeat

chol·er·ic -- bad-tempered or irritable.

melancholic = sadness

Just in case people like smaller words.
Those smaller words are such an reductio ad absurdum, that it loses most of its positive meaning.

#11 ·
After looking over "the 4 temperaments", and even taking some of the tests I found out I am actually choleric. I am also very sure I am an INTP. On a first glance, INTP's fit better with melancholic, I think. Any other choleric INTP's?

Description:

It is very strange for an INTP to identify with choleric traits, it would fit much better with ExTJs and maybe ESTPs.

INTP fits the phlegmatic temperament the most(low-key, unemotional, and easygoing), melancholic is much more IxxJ.

#15 ·
It's true it is odd/rare, but they are 2 different things, at the end of the day, so there isn't a contradiction necessarily.

#12 ·

Description:

I'm a choleric INTP. BTW, poor Daniel Craig!

Reactions: Noir
#23 ·
I gotta do this whole process because now i'm a freaking troll?!?

I seen big words that I did not know. sanguine (which i only recognized from morrowind), choleric, melancholic and phlegmatic. Phlegmatic? I doubt anyone who hasn't researched the temperaments knows that word and still may not know it's definition. I like small words. I find them more accurate. Take begnin begnin troll ... an agreeable troll? A friendly troll? I'd have to guess that you meant harmless troll... I don't like to guess what people mean when simpler and smaller words can describe it very well. agreeable, friendly, harmless ... smaller words. I've only seen it used with noncancerous stuff.
So anyways, big words that I don't know the definitions. I look them up. I think that this could save others time and do a post of the definitions. When doing that post, it reminded me of the "smart" people that like big words because they think it makes them look smart. Note that I did NOT look up the Four temperament theory yet. I ONLY looked up the words. When I did look up the theory, this is how I saw it.

Four Temperaments

Sanguine

The sanguine temperament is traditionally associated with air. People with this temperament tend to be lively, sociable, carefree, talkative, and pleasure-seeking. They may be warm-hearted and optimistic. They can make new friends easily, be imaginative and artistic, and often have many ideas.[14][15] They can be flighty and changeable; thus sanguine personalities may struggle with following tasks all the way through and be chronically late or forgetful.[16]

Pedagogically, they can be best reached through awakening their love for a subject and admiration of people.[16]

Choleric
The choleric temperament is traditionally associated with fire. People with this temperament tend to be egocentric and extroverted. They may be excitable, impulsive, and restless, with reserves of aggression, energy, and/or passion, and try to instill that in others. [14][15]

They tend to be task-oriented people and are focused on getting a job done efficiently; their motto is usually "do it now." They can be ambitious, strong-willed and like to be in charge. They can show leadership, are good at planning, and are often practical and solution-oriented.[14] They appreciate receiving respect and esteem for their work.[16]:20

Pedagogically, they can be best reached through mutual respect and appropriate challenges that recognize their capacities.[16]

Melancholic
Main article: Melancholia
The melancholic temperament is traditionally associated with the element of earth. People with this temperament may appear serious, introverted, cautious or even suspicious. They can become preoccupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world and are susceptible to depression and moodiness. They may be focused and conscientious. They often prefer to do things themselves, both to meet their own standards and because they are not inherently sociable. [15][14]

Pedagogically, they can be best met by awakening their sympathy for others and the suffering of the world.[16]

Phlegmatic ... said a bunch of stuff that I didn't read because my eyes scanned ahead to .....

When the concept of the temperaments was on the wane, many critics dropped the phlegmatic, or defined it purely negatively, such as the German philosopher Immanuel Kant,

I was like, i'm not even going to look at that type because I don't want to get involved in a discussion that's been going on for hundreds of years about something I really don't care about.

I'm an introvert and the only introvert catergory is the Sad one. I tried to find something in my life that fit that description and I tried to play along, to keep everyone getting along without arguments. Seriously, do I give the impression that I'm enjoying this?

Anyways, I get attacked by someone using faulty logic and jumping to a conclusion (the logic itself might be called overgeneralizing). This wore on me for a long time. Both faulty logic and then attacking my logic using that faulty logic. That's a double whammy on how to annoy me. it's probably a symptom of being INTP.

Eventually I did read that Phlegmatic temperament that kant didn't like and that's generally where I live. Now I actually like the labels of the four temperaments even less. Normally the group title (temperament) should include ALL of it's characteristics. Than I see Melancholic and well, this group just has the best chance of being melancholic. So the domain of the group is actually larger than the group label would indicate. That's bass ackwards! Also I remembered seeing a Five somewhere in the documents. Turns out it's in the very next line after kant. When I thought there were only three left; turns out to be five. I seriously don't care about this and wish I had never defined four words. My attitude toward the theory is probably corrupted due to being attacked in the thread.

Now, this all started because someone read stuff into what I was saying, then said I was wrong for saying it. Let's analyze! If you look, I only used the WORD. Then if you look up the word's definition, it's what is pasted. Word definition with Word. Here is what it would look like if I wanted to use temperament definitions (i'll use the one that I didn't read till late in this who annoying scene)

Phlegmatic - The phlegmatic temperament is traditionally associated with water. People with this temperament may be inward and private, thoughtful, reasonable, calm, patient, caring, and tolerant. They tend to have a rich inner life, seek a quiet, peaceful atmosphere, and be content with themselves. They tend to be steadfast, consistent in their habits, and thus steady and faithful friends.[14][15]
Pedagogically, their interest is often awakened by experiencing others' interest in a subject.[16]
People of this temperament may appear somewhat ponderous or clumsy. Their speech tends to be slow or appear hesitant.
**** in case your thinking that "OH, he didn't use the word temperament in the WORD part" the definition clearly says it.

Now i have to keep defending myself.. this sucks.
I had thought I was around people of like minds and could let my guard down. Man, was I wrong.:frustrating:

#27 ·
Melancholic-Choleric.
During my college years, I was more Choleric. During the years of deep anxiety, I was more Phlegmatic. I have almost never been Sanguine.

Theoretically, NTs should all have some sort of a Choleric temperament in them. Why? NTs tend to be highly inquisitive, unconforming, and creative. Questioning and challenging the establishment (not necessarily launching a revolution or something like that) is a signature of NTs. When Muse comes to the NT, they will try to make it come true. To be Choleric does not necessarily refer only to having a hot temper, but rather, it means having ambitions, wanting to achieve, and having clear goals. Cholerics tend to be assertive and strong in character. In a conflict or an argument, they are unlikely to compromise.

It's not surprising for an INTP to be Choleric. I guess due to introversion, most Ti doms are secondary Choleric.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.