Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
INTP
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... or just Catholics INTPs in general?

Cut to the chase: I'm interested in connecting and discussing theology, something I'm excited about but not interested in debating with the possibility of being spit in the face. I like 1-on-1 conversations since it's easier to respond to and handle the flow of the conversation.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was raised Catholic. I found the theology of the church and especially the dogma in practice very challenging, and the priests (even the Jesuits) unwilling to discuss my theological problems. I was always basically told I was a bad person for even questioning those things. Needless to say, the day after my Confirmation I stopped all practice immediately. I converted to Judaism as an adult, in large part because there is much more curiosity and openness to questioning.

Happy to talk (I still find theology fascinating) but I wanted you to be warned about my position ahead of time. :)

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Seems the Catholics here are mostly INFPs I've noticed. Any particular theological interests?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am catholic. I don't really go to church that much (mostly because I just don't like sitting there during mass). I do however attend a Christian Bible study group. This is to understand my faith more.

If you want to talk about anything, let me know.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I was a devout Catholic up until I was 14, then I jumped into the rabbit hole (aka the History of Christianity) and I never looked back.

Though I will say I still go to church every Sunday because I live in the same house with my mom and grandma who are are very devoted Catholics. I still haven't told them yet I'm a non-believer, maybe when I graduate and get a job I'll get around to it.

Reactions: Snakecharmer

·
Registered
INTP
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the show of hands

I've noticed a trend on forums that seems to indicate a decline in Catholicism, particularly in online communities, like there are all these people who were Catholic and now have, what's the phrase, "fallen away" or lapsed into a kind of disinterest with the church. Hence, I was kind of wondering if maybe there were some devout folks just hiding in the woodwork.

As for my theological interests: deep stuff. The truths I've been reading about and discovering are amazing, and its sad most of no-one hears about because people just don't bother reading it. There's all kinds of stuff available on the Vatican website and EWTN (but God knows if you can navigate the EWTN website, you can navigate on Jupiter - it's that crazy - ... so I use Google, lol).
I've been reading more of the encyclicals of the popes, so in my conversations, I would like those to be the topics of discussion. Of course, I'll still probably end up discussing the basics for people, since there is a real need to have questions answered.

If you do have any questions about Catholicism, I'd be happy to answer them for you from the best of my knowledge, but like any good INTP, I'll admit I don't know everything.

Reactions: jadevignette

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
If you do have any questions about Catholicism, I'd be happy to answer them for you from the best of my knowledge, but like any good INTP, I'll admit I don't know everything.
Is God's love unconditional? Also how do Catholics see the Old and New Testament? Does one get more emphasis? Are some of the messages mutually exclusive? Also is the stuff/rules/guidelines the Bible lays out mainly allegorical or literal? Or both? And if both who gets to choose which is which?

·
Registered
INTP
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Fredward - I meant something you can't Google. lol jk

Here's it in brief:

1) yes
2) correctly (with the right study, at least)
3) no
4) no
5) literal (at least, what I'm thinking of atm is)
6) no
7) God
:)

·
Infractionated
ENTP. 7w8 sx/sp. pm me Dune memes.
8,945 Posts
I've been Episcopal for about 2 years, but I've been thinking about catholic or Greek Orthodox...

·
Infractionated
ENTP. 7w8 sx/sp. pm me Dune memes.
8,945 Posts

·
Banned
732 Posts
Thanks for the show of hands

I've noticed a trend on forums that seems to indicate a decline in Catholicism, particularly in online communities, like there are all these people who were Catholic and now have, what's the phrase, "fallen away" or lapsed into a kind of disinterest with the church. Hence, I was kind of wondering if maybe there were some devout folks just hiding in the woodwork.

As for my theological interests: deep stuff. The truths I've been reading about and discovering are amazing, and its sad most of no-one hears about because people just don't bother reading it. There's all kinds of stuff available on the Vatican website and EWTN (but God knows if you can navigate the EWTN website, you can navigate on Jupiter - it's that crazy - ... so I use Google, lol).
I've been reading more of the encyclicals of the popes, so in my conversations, I would like those to be the topics of discussion. Of course, I'll still probably end up discussing the basics for people, since there is a real need to have questions answered.

Why do Catholics differ from each church?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
INTP
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ThoughtfulThinker -

? Odd question...? What do you mean? Why do they differ from parish to parish? Or How do they differ from other Churches? In the case of the latter, the theology is different in certain regards. One of the main differences is that mainstream Protestantism says you are going to heaven if you just believe "Jesus is Lord" whereas Catholicism says you only go to heaven if you choose to go there, which is done by faithful obedience to God. After all, heaven is being with God, and God won't make anyone be with Him if they don't want to be.
It's hard to make a comparison with Protestantism though. Catholicism is strict in what it is, but in Protestantism, you can believe just about anything you want so long as there is a God and "Jesus is Lord" in some way. Heck, some Protestants don't even believe Jesus is God and man. Although if I had to summarize mainstream Protestantism, I would say it would be this:
1) Believe in God
2) Believe in God's "son" (this does not necessarily mean a real person) who died for the sins of the world
3) Believe that if you believe in Him, you will go to heaven (whatever heaven may be)

Catholic beliefs, on the other hand, could, I suppose, be summarized as such:
1) Believe everything professed in the Nicene Creed (multiple points; too much here to summarize)
2) "Believe everything Holy Church proposes for our belief" - says a priest I know
3) Believe that the Eucharist is in fact the real body and blood of Jesus Christ

... uh... I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Point 2 sounds pretty dictatorial, especially to INTPs, but it's not as if anything new and weird comes from this. It's more of a rehashing or a deeper exposing of the mysteries expressed in the Creed, amongst other old teachings. Even the Catechism of the Catholic Church says there is nothing new to be added to the "deposit of faith", no new novelty. i.e. God isn't changing His plan.

Reactions: jadevignette
1 - 20 of 36 Posts