Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ENFPs

Ever since I was little I wanted to be an architect. However, after researching a bit, it seems like this profession requires A LOT of patient paperwork and going over details many times.

As an ENFP I have come to realize that I need diversity in my work, and am a bit afraid to end up being bored as an architect.

So! To all you architects out there: How much creative work do you actually get to do, and do you recommend it for an ENFP?

Thanks to all generous people who reply :happy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey ENFPs

Ever since I was little I wanted to be an architect. However, after researching a bit, it seems like this profession requires A LOT of patient paperwork and going over details many times.

As an ENFP I have come to realize that I need diversity in my work, and am a bit afraid to end up being bored as an architect.

So! To all you architects out there: How much creative work do you actually get to do, and do you recommend it for an ENFP?

Thanks to all generous people who reply :happy:
Hey Tulsi,

In 3 weeks I'll be graduated as an Architect, so after 6 years of college and some internships, I can give you my opinion: in short:

I wouldn't do it again. There's some things intrinsic to the architectural profession that were far from ideal for me as for most ENFP's, I guess.

Yes, there is a creative part to architecture, but it's by far not the only part, and really not the most important part. I think quite some people think architecture is sketching or building models all the time, and let you're gut feelings decide how things should look, and then TADAAA building. That couldn't be more wrong. Architecture, especially in education, is more about how buildings function than how they look. This is very logically driven, so expect A LOT of Te/Ti here. I didn't even start talking about structural mechanics which you need to know. Designing something that you just happen to like doesn't happen, it needs to have a reason ( in fact: good architects always have at least two reasons for all the important things in their designs). Then you're communicating most of the time with your computer to realize that (Expect weeks, months of sitting in front of the computer) and architecture is very time intensive anyway, expect regular all-nighters, insane deadlines and workload, making a huge amount of drawn and conceptual progress every week because yeah, you go from nothing to complete building in usually 8-10 weeks. Judging types are of course way better in this than perceiving types.

And yes, many details. You're busy making a building from scratch all the way to the door knobs. Also expect that you're intuition doesn't match reality when you draw it out so you're cramming over every detail at least two times to let it look and function reasonable. At which point another detail isn't matching you're first detail and you have to redesign that one, at which point it is dubious if your concept is not at stake because of all the redesigning, etc. etc. You catch my drift?

And yes, you're busy with this all day every day. don't expect a lot of unicorn loving bubbly ENFP's in the design studio. All this is way more Ni than Ne. way more Te than Fi. and more J than P.

Likewise, all of architecture school is full with INTJ's/ENTJ's/ they excel in the creative reasoning approach that is architecture in its core. If you're a creative feeler, arts or design are probably way more your thing. shorter time span, more personal value based, more on gut feeling, more communication with other people.

Good luck choosing!

Edit P.S.: If I were you I would visit an architecture school once and see how you like when you are there just observing people working for a few hours. Seeing how people work, how they communicate, etc. Talking with some people about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Tulsi,

In 3 weeks I'll be graduated as an Architect, so after 6 years of college and some internships, I can give you my opinion: in short:

I wouldn't do it again. There's some things intrinsic to the architectural profession that were far from ideal for me as for most ENFP's, I guess.

Yes, there is a creative part to architecture, but it's by far not the only part, and really not the most important part. I think quite some people think architecture is sketching or building models all the time, and let you're gut feelings decide how things should look, and then TADAAA building. That couldn't be more wrong. Architecture, especially in education, is more about how buildings function than how they look. This is very logically driven, so expect A LOT of Te/Ti here. I didn't even start talking about structural mechanics which you need to know. Designing something that you just happen to like doesn't happen, it needs to have a reason ( in fact: good architects always have at least two reasons for all the important things in their designs). Then you're communicating most of the time with your computer to realize that (Expect weeks, months of sitting in front of the computer) and architecture is very time intensive anyway, expect regular all-nighters, insane deadlines and workload, making a huge amount of drawn and conceptual progress every week because yeah, you go from nothing to complete building in usually 8-10 weeks. Judging types are of course way better in this than perceiving types.

And yes, many details. You're busy making a building from scratch all the way to the door knobs. Also expect that you're intuition doesn't match reality when you draw it out so you're cramming over every detail at least two times to let it look and function reasonable. At which point another detail isn't matching you're first detail and you have to redesign that one, at which point it is dubious if your concept is not at stake because of all the redesigning, etc. etc. You catch my drift?

And yes, you're busy with this all day every day. don't expect a lot of unicorn loving bubbly ENFP's in the design studio. All this is way more Ni than Ne. way more Te than Fi. and more J than P.

Likewise, all of architecture school is full with INTJ's/ENTJ's/ they excel in the creative reasoning approach that is architecture in its core. If you're a creative feeler, arts or design are probably way more your thing. shorter time span, more personal value based, more on gut feeling, more communication with other people.

Good luck choosing!

Edit P.S.: If I were you I would visit an architecture school once and see how you like when you are there just observing people working for a few hours. Seeing how people work, how they communicate, etc. Talking with some people about it.
Are you still an architect? I wish I had known this before I graduated architecture school. I plan on going into real estate after I get my architecture license. I just want to help people transform their living spaces and imagine the potential of existing spaces.

·
Registered
8,342 Posts

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
@opsmuk. I think I hated my profession when towards the end of 6 years of school and an internship I was working to get my thesis ready, but luckily the job is really awesome, really versatile and that IS good for creative ENFPs, plus working with others, using knowledge, etc. I’m not an architect but those benefits seem somewhat alike to me. The most stressful time was the school part of it. So I hope your love for it returns!

As George Castanza says “There is nothing higher than architect!”

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
@Llyralen OP has a point, but I think ENFPs have a lot to contribute to architecture to make all its creations more human and fit for people. I will likely continue on in Urbanism though, since it caught my eye. It has a more social sphere and requires less hours of clicking on your mouse behind a laptop screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts