Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm an ENFP and am considering making my own business.

I know everyone is different, regardless of MBTI type, but I was wondering if we could use the MBTI to help look for possible advantages and disadvantages of an ENFP running a business.

If any one here does run a business (ENFP or not) then chip in! I'd love to hear what you have to say about running a business :crazy:
Otherwise, what might you think an ENFP would find easy/challenging if one was to open their own business?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm an entrepreneur!
its just ebay but its enough for me to not get a boring real life job :)

uhh Idk if personality has much to do with it, I just saw an opportunity and ran with it. Most people didn't/don't believe me and my parents advised against it. It bugs me when people think of it more as a hobby because it's so atypical. My brother works as a busser and makes less money, so excuse me for wanting to stick with my silly entrepreneur thing.

Oh yea, I buy wholesale cell phones and unlock/hack them/ they end up better then stock. Then I sell it on ebay.
If you're not sure of running a business, try doing ebay for a short term and experience a taste of it for yourself!
Its not running a magazine or anything but you'll know what its like to be independent for just about everything.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It depends on the business. I would not recommend that an ENFP starts an online magazine without at least one business partner. Ebay is different because it doesn't require constant and consistent time put into it. You can leave your ebay business alone for a month and when you come back it will be perfectly fine without a mob of angry customers or a ton of unpaid bills. If you leave an online magazine alone for a month it will start to decline and you will loose subscribers.

I know an ENFP is capable of running a business but you have to ask yourself if you are going to get bored of the work after a while. My guess is you would enjoy the creative and exciting parts of the work, but you would dislike the routine tasks. An ENFP would probably have a ton of awesome ideas to improve the business, they just need an INTJ to follow through on the details.

What do you think?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're not sure of running a business, try doing ebay for a short term and experience a taste of it for yourself!
This is some great advice. Thank you!

What do you think?
And Einstein, you DO make a lot of sense!! :D Personally, I have trouble maintaining a project, but I get blinded to this fact by my excitement to initiate it. I think an ENFP would also appreciate not working alone (I would!) especially with someone as fascinating as an INTJ.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your welcome!
As long as you can think of a good ideas or one really great idea, it wouldn't matter what mbti you have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're still thinking about this, or doing it, contact me. I'm ENFP and have run an online magazine. Overall I wouldn't suggest it, but if you do there are ways to make it work much better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I WAS JUST WRITING A POST ABOUT BEING AN ENTREPRENEUR!

I am currently in business school, and plan to be an entrepreneur. I would say that my goals are a little too reaching, as in, I keep changing my business plan to include all these imaginative details, per say, and then I can never commit to a plan.

I dont have the excitement to jump in without planning all the details and intricacies, but doing so is definitely a deterrent as it gets too big for me to know how to jump in, aware of the details I would like later down the line. Then with no excitement I just dont start ever..

If that makes an sense

·
Registered
869 Posts
I know an ENFP who has her own graphic design business mostly websites, her work usually involves a month of doing nothing then serious deadline cramming the day the work is due.

I also do business process consulting and IT and finance project management independently.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this is post is old, but I want to have my own business so badly! I feel like I need to. I have so many ideas all the time I almost feel like I would be wasting the greatness if I never put any of my ideas into motion. I just need a solid team to support my ideas and keep the business going. I would never be able to do it all on my own since all I ever want to do is problem solve and contemplate how things can improve.

I am actually going to start up weekend in November to pitch one of my ideas for an online business.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a best friend who is probably an ENFP, and he is great at the "big idea" aspect of entrepreneurship, and at networking with other people (because people pretty much all love him right away).
The problem with him is that he isn't good at nitty-gritty details, and he changes his specific job direction every few months. So, for him to stick with something, it has to start working out very quickly after he starts. Otherwise, he figures "well, this isn't working, let's immediately try something else."

That wasn't really advice, so much as observations about an ENFP trying to start a career. Don't know if they'll help or not.

·
Registered
511 Posts
A mission helps me stay focused. My mission is to encounter, disciple, equip, and launch outcastes to be leaders and world changers. In order to do this i have a 3 stage plan:
1 - communication of truth through stories in all shapes and forms of media be it anime comic book or video game via a collaboration of talented geeky Christian individuals
2 - comic con/youth conference and establishment of online communities in order to connect in relationship with, invest in, and support each other in personal growth
3 - geeky Christian art tech schools to equip disciple and launch these guys to go out and change the world

I stick to this because it look effective, sounds cool, and fulfills a cause that I'm super passionate about and is super important to me

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hi! I'm an ENFP and am considering making my own business.

I know everyone is different, regardless of MBTI type, but I was wondering if we could use the MBTI to help look for possible advantages and disadvantages of an ENFP running a business.

If any one here does run a business (ENFP or not) then chip in! I'd love to hear what you have to say about running a business :crazy:
Otherwise, what might you think an ENFP would find easy/challenging if one was to open their own business?
Online magazine sounds cool. In my experience, enfps aren't great with finances and deadlines and quickly / efficiently taking decisions. Anything else we're good at ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
I went through a ten month simulation, and although I wasn't initially in charge, I somehow ended up at the top. And my God was it awful. I actually had no problem writing the business plan, handling the financials, or selling our services. What I found most difficult was managing a staff of 28 employees, especially because they all needed to be micromanaged. Now, according to most articles ENFPs have difficulty enforcing rules when it comes to their employees. I didn't find that to be true at all, I was quick to set rules, and quick to hand down punishments. Our numbers looked pretty good, after a round of earned demotions.

I think my main motivator was how much the success of my group depended on me, and how meaningful our success would be to our futures. And under those circumstances I felt obligated to get things done as soon as they needed to be done. All the stereotypical shortcomings of an ENFP were nowhere to be found -- in this part of my life. And I think that's because my failure had actual consequences for people other than myself.

I feel like that's an ENFP thing, but it might be just a 2w3 thing, or maybe just a me thing. But if it is MBTI related, then don't work alone. Find people to work with who has as much skin in the game as you do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts