Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here working in those fields? I'm seriously considering pursuing psychiatry at some point and am curious to see what the experiences of other ENFPs have been in these fields.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm working on psychology. I wish a little that I had thought about med school earlier, but I feel like it's something that needs to be planned for and that window has closed for me. I don't know how being a therapist would suit me at this point in my life, but I find applied psychology/assessments interesting. I think I'll feel better about the therapy aspects later on - I just don't have the life experience right now. After working with psychiatrists, though, I also don't know that I would be thrilled to have a psychiatrist's job, but I saw them working with inpatients in crisis mostly. Working with/helping people definitely fits in with ENFP desires and motivations, so I think we'd be good at it and a lot of it may have to do with finding the setting that's right for you. I assume you know a bit about their job description but I would suggest searching on job websites just to scope out more specifics what can be done with a degree in psychiatry and see what sounds interesting! You can probably also look into shadowing them or interning, that might give you more information than anyone on here could

1,750 Posts
My first degree was in psych. I was going to double major in comp sci and work on cybernetically enhancing the brain... I'm sure you probably know what i'm talking about but if not I can give you some recent advances to read about: cool stuff :)

Anyways I decided my Jr year that I didn't want to be pent up in a lab for the rest of my life. So I did sales for awhile, then project management, then went back for a degree in coding. I'm really digging my work as a coder. But I loved studying psych! Fascinating stuff. I especially liked neuro and cognitive for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My degree would be translated in the rest of the world as a combination of Management/Business and general Social Sciences. So I had many psychology courses, and took additional ones as electives due to personal interest since school.
I have sometimes considered doing something in the field of I/O (industrial/organizational psychology), i.e. diagnosing and solving psychological issues in organizations. It is very similar to management consulting and can allow a practitioner to be independent as well as work in diverse environments, with many different people, etc.
I assume that element would be somewhat missing in one-to-one therapy or medicine for that matter. But correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I know that @Tridentus is studying psychology and loves it...
This is true..

I'm actually temping as a social carer atm which has reinforced my direction toward doing something like counselling, i find that line of work is extremely rewarding.
all psychology based fields require a huge amount of work to qualify, usually requiring a phd or some near equivalent.. a big shock to many people who do study it is the amount of statistics and advanced maths is involved; the idea being for a psychology degree to service the 95% of graduates who go on to do other things such as business and marketing, and therefore require data analysis skills, as well as those who will go on to become researchers. It is tough at times, especially if you hated maths at school, but if you bear through that stuff (no pain no gain right?) i can garauntee the degree will be really interesting- and the further along you get the better it gets until you eventually qualify, which is the ultimate reward.

ultimately, if you are a typical ENFP who is good at listening and gets a buzz off helping people then yes you will love it as a career, but don't get any illusions that it is easy to get there.
-btw psychiatry is a medical degree and is different from other psychology based fields in case you weren't aware, it's more of a doctoral field although i'm not sure what the exact differences are beyond that psychiatrists handle drugs.

But again, if you're torn between psychology and anything else choose psychology because chances are you'll be able to use a psych degree to get you into the other thing in any event

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I'm going into psychology as well. For the time being, I'm leaning toward a school guidance counselor.... Initially, I got a 2 year degree in art, but I went back to a 2 year college to pick up one in science as well. I'm going to start looking into schools fairly soon to transfer for a 4 year psychology degree. I may change my mind, but I'm on that track for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts