Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan is to eventually pursue a Master's Degree and get into some sort of mental health profession, but I'm heavily considering pursuing a brief enlistment in the USMC after I get my Bachelor's.

Before other ENFPs ask me why I, as an ENFP, would ever consider military service, here's why:

• Adventure, seeing the world
  • The opportunity to serve a cause larger than myself
  • The camaraderie. I would love to have the opportunity to make some real, deep, lasting human connections
  • I absolutely suck at discipline and unless I'm forced to, will probably always suck at it
  • Trying something outside the bounds of what some people would consider "average" or "normal"
  • Respect/Acknowledgement
  • Ironically my individualism as an ENFP. None of my family members ever served or display an interest in doing so, and few of my friends display an interest in serving. Never mind the hordes of other ENFPs who would never consider serving. It's an opportunity to set myself apart

I don't know for sure whether I will like the service, but the opportunity to learn more about myself, others, and the world than I ever would in a college classroom or regular civilian life just seems to good to pass up. However, I'm not here to just express my wishes. All of that being said, I'm actually wondering whether there were ENFPs here who are in or are familiar with the Marine Corps. What is your MOS? What do you like/dislike about it? What would be some good MOSs for an ENFP? Just because I would join up even if it ended up sucking, doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer to serve in a capacity that would suck a lot less.

All of your responses will be strongly appreciated. If, as you read this, you're tempted to post your anti-war or "I just can't see why an ENFP would want to join the military" comments, I genuinely respect your views and your honesty about them - but trust me, I've seen so many comments like that before and they have not dissuaded me from my own views about my future. Other than that, my sincere thanks to everyone who gave this thread a look!

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
You sound like you're in the "experience-seeking stage" of ENFPhood, where we branch out on our horizons in order to develop a stronger platform for the rest of our lives- in which case I say go for it!

My experience-seeking stage has consisted of a LOT of traveling, and I'm still in it now. I've not regretted any single one decision I've made with that perspective in mind, everything I go through, ESPECIALLY the more out of my comfort zone that it is, has given me a deeper, more complex and more well rounded perspective of life- things that are hugely important in being a mental health professional.

My advice would be that you probably don't EVEN KNOW HALF the things that experiencing the army might give you for future life and career. In my experience- you'll go in, gain some of the things you were looking for, won't gain some of the things you expected as well, but will gain a huge amount of life perspective that you weren't even expecting.

Ask yourself- will you gain anything to your life-perspective from not joining? which is no. Will you gain FROM joining?- which I think is a resounding yes. Even if you dislike parts of it, I think it would be worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tridentus, thank you for the post. I've yet to receive input from actual ENFP Marines, but my day was thoroughly made by your reply. It's the first time that, from an MBTI perspective, someone really encouraged me to "follow my dreams," so to speak. Your reasons for encouraging me to join are pretty much the exact reasons I have for joining, and yes, I was thinking that it'd be helpful later on in a career in mental health, especially if I come across situations where I'd have to treat veterans as I would have been in their shoes. It's more than the risks of giving up freedom or material things; it's the opportunity for me to gain a unique experience and perspective, to really put my manhood to the test. I'm very grateful for the fact that another ENFP sees why an ENFP like me would want to do this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts