Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come one, come all!

I did a quick search and couldn't find a similar thread for ENTPs but let me know if there is one :)

I recently helped out a week long event just painting, showcasing artworks and teaching people how to draw/paint. I thought I could bring it here, bounce ideas off each other, show your work or have it criticised. Tell me your experiences, inspiration and challenges.

I have been sculpting, sketching and painting since I was a kid and I love creating things so I've finessed many techniques but I'm still learning. A year ago I had some problems focusing and I had artists' block. When I start an artwork I need to have it finished even if I've been painting for the whole day, I just can't put the brush down just in case I lost that spark. One big thing I've learnt is patience and I apply it to my social life so I can deal with difficult people. I love to create things but I haven't stuck to a particular style because I'd get bored, any of you get that?

I'll post some art once I get my external hard drive back. Until then, post away! :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I usually only end up taking photographs with my phone outside of my house when the clouds and sun are creating a really nifty effect. Unfortunately without the proper equipment, it just turns out poorly. I probably should have just stepped out of the car for the rest ;)

Reactions: Jamaia

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I usually only end up taking photographs with my phone outside of my house when the clouds and sun are creating a really nifty effect. Unfortunately without the proper equipment, it just turns out poorly. I probably should have just stepped out of the car for the rest ;)
:laughing: That's awesome @Desthro! "Any ENTP artists around?" "Why yes, I for one like to take photographs. With my phone, from my car."

I used to like drawing and painting a lot when I was younger. I think the last thing I drew was a portrait of a cat twelve years ago. Looking forward to seeing your work, @HerpDerpette!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I used to draw a lot until I was like 12 or 13, which is when I completely stopped (if you don't count doodles on the sides of my schoolwork). I've drawn three proper pictures since 2008. I might as well share two latest ones, they took 4-5 hours each including breaks.

Friend asked me to draw her cat (March, last year, if I remember correctly):

The background annoys me, but it looked worse when it was empty

About a month ago I wanted to do something with colors, but didn't have any so being a resourceful ENTP I decided to use makeup instead (used a ballpoint pen for eyelashes and a few outlines). Do not try that if you don't want to lose your mind and resist the urge to set the paper on fire every five minutes. Model choice was made based on irony.

I messed up the shadow and lost my interest during the shirt. It also isn't completely finished (and will never be), I got sick of the technique and decided to let it be. This one looks way better in nature due to the shimmery qualities of some makeup I used.

I don't draw a lot because it annoys me that I could be way better if I hadn't stopped for several years. I still like it though, because my process includes the work looking like absolute shit for most of the part until it magically starts looking satisfactory (the big picture takes no more than an hour or two, the rest is for fine tuning). It's also sort of calming if I'm able to focus.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha that reminded me of this at 6:00, good show

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@draculaoverlord I like it! I'm a cat lady though haha and I'd experiment with different mediums, I did the opposite and used paint because I ran out of makeup. I tried not to set my face on fire :laughing:
Oh yes practicepracticepractice I always say.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
I actually based it on the Streets rainbow paddle pop :Smilies:
Rainbow -> illusory promise of treasure (faith)
+ Praying (faith) mantis -> sneaky predator

= The treasure is a trap and I shouldn't believe in promises.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I'd like to see someone psycho-analyse this hahaha: View attachment 520746
Well first off preying mantis are well known for their mating habits in which the female which is much larger and stronger than the males rips the heads of the males and eats them even while still in the act of mating.

An ice pop is a sweet sticky dessert consumed by licking.

lollipops are known to be sexually symbolic suggestive

I would argue than an ice pop can be even more sexually suggestive because of it's wet messiness and because it's consumed most often in the summer time and so is associated with memories and images of girls and boys in skimpy bathing suits.

The preying mantis encased or on display on the ice pop and especially the cartoonish nature of them in contrast to the realistic hand seems to indicate that the preying mantis aren't meant to be real preying mantises, but rather symbolic and thus they especially emphasize the sexual symbolism of the ice pop and the mantis: That within that sweet enticing sexuality it is bursting with a vicious, selfish, survivalist nature. Further emphasized by the mantis grasping the fly presumably to consume. Also flies represent decay and dirtiness...the mantis grasping the fly may thus be represent of a willingness to sink to any low to satisfy one's sexual desire.

The fact that the preying mantis extend beyond the ice pop seems to represent that that primitive selfish survivalistic nature is more than just symbolism... it is breaking the fourth wall of that symbolism....further emphasized by the cracked background representing the destructive effect that bound up sexual survivalism has the potential for and perhaps has had and is currently unleashing.

The women's hand holding the ice pop from the first person point of view gives the impression that this is what she sees or perhaps rather feels and/or thinks of when she looks at an ice pop. As stated before, an ice pop is very symbolic of sexuality, so when this women thinks of her sexuality she is confronted w/ an animalistic survivalistic, destructive sexual nature that is willing to kill and even rip the head even her partner to satisfy her desires....which is bursting out of and just barely hidden by the outward appearance of her sexuality being something sweet and enticing.

...then again Feud said "sometimes preying mantis ice pops are just preying mantis ice pops" ;)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts