Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've recently taken an interest in entrepreneurship, trying to implement my ideas. I'm at university at the moment and I've been looking to join the enterprise society, getting my ideas out there and taking part in some competitions.

I was hoping you guys would be able to give an account of your experience getting your ideas known? How did you come to conceive your idea and what were the main hurdles that you faced? Any tips?

A little summary of your accomplishments to date perhaps.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Yaaaaay, would you be able to tell me a little bit about your journey to get you where you are now?
Right now I work for a large clinic\corporation in their IT department and absolutely hate it. That's my motivation to stake it out on my own. Corporate life sucks the life out of an ENTP and when you work for a completely dysfunctional corporation, it's living hell.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now I work for a large clinic\corporation in their IT department and absolutely hate it. That's my motivation to stake it out on my own. Corporate life sucks the life out of an ENTP and when you work for a completely dysfunctional corporation, it's living hell.
Ahh, good on you. Yeah the ENTP that I know always tries to implement his ideas when he helps out at his friend's company, much to the annoyance of the boss who prefers everything to pretty much stay as it is, and prefers to be aware of exactly what's going on.

I'm looking to enter a couple of competitions with my ideas soon and hopefully I'll be the boss of my own company in 5-10 years.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Ahh, good on you. Yeah the ENTP that I know always tries to implement his ideas when he helps out at his friend's company, much to the annoyance of the boss who prefers everything to pretty much stay as it is, and prefers to be aware of exactly what's going on.

I'm looking to enter a couple of competitions with my ideas soon and hopefully I'll be the boss of my own company in 5-10 years.
The problem with remaining stagnant is you WILL lose your competitive advantage. Technology is progressing at such a rapid rate and you need to keep up and utilize technology as much as possible to remain as efficient as possible. If you don't, someone else will become more efficient and their overhead will be way lower. Also, markets change so you need to readily adapt to meet the needs of the market or eventually if you keep thinking it's 1995, nobody will want your product.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem with remaining stagnant is you WILL lose your competitive advantage. Technology is progressing at such a rapid rate and you need to keep up and utilize technology as much as possible to remain as efficient as possible. If you don't, someone else will become more efficient and their overhead will be way lower. Also, markets change so you need to readily adapt to meet the needs of the market or eventually if you keep thinking it's 1995, nobody will want your product.
Yeah absolutely. I had a few ideas and was checking to see if anyone had the same and turns out the people who invented it won a competition with the idea a few months ago, young entrepreneurs. So I'm keeping informed about the latest technology, reading up on finance and business things like that.

But I'm confident things will work out, I'll move if necessary, get my ideas out there and what not.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
There are two Entrepreneurial related shows on CNBC now: "The Profit" and "Shark Tank."

Both of those could give you ideas on how to start your own business.
Harness the Ne-Ti and observe everyday life. Find something that is inefficient and make a solution that makes it more efficient. Make sure there's a lot of people who want that given thing to be more efficient and you're golden.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harness the Ne-Ti and observe everyday life. Find something that is inefficient and make a solution that makes it more efficient. Make sure there's a lot of people who want that given thing to be more efficient and you're golden.
Yeah I'm gonna do some market research soon. Stand in my town center and ask people what areas of their life they think needs improving and general nuisances/things they would like to see changed just to get some ideas. Most of my thoughts have revolved around different types of alarms, friendly health monitors and generally focused in the direction of making things a little more easy.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Yeah I'm gonna do some market research soon. Stand in my town center and ask people what areas of their life they think needs improving and general nuisances/things they would like to see changed just to get some ideas. Most of my thoughts have revolved around different types of alarms, friendly health monitors and generally focused in the direction of making things a little more easy.
Don't ask people. Just observe. Better yet find something that frustrates you personally and then observe if other people have this same issue. Once you've identified a problem by yourself, then maybe talk to people. You're going to get all over the board answers if you just randomly ask people who frustrates them about life.

If you are looking to do mobile apps, take a random roadtrip somewhere like 500 miles away or even the first biggest non-familiar city. It's easy to grow in our comfort zones and draw on our knowledge of the known. Cross over in the unknown and find what sort of app would make doing X task easier and essentially give you the information you need that you would normally take for granted in somewhere you're familiar with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had two failed attempts at starting a company if that counts.

This is a very helpful website/magazine Business News & Strategy For Entrepreneurs | Entrepreneur.com And national business newspapers usually have some kind of start up or small business section Startup Journal - Wall Street Journal - Wsj.com Personally I'd advise against watching shows like Shark Tank because it's more entertainment than accuracy. Newspapers and magazines will almost always be more reliable sources of information on anything than TV shows, unless it's something like this Elon Musk Profiled: Bloomberg Risk Takers: Video - Bloomberg

What kind of a company is it? If it's tech then you should definitely read about angel investors and venture capital.

Learning how to write a good business plan is a must Amazon.com: FT Essential Guide to Writing a Business Plan: How to win backing to start up or grow your business (The FT Guides) eBook: Vaughan Evans: Kindle Store and in the case of tech startups you could make a pitch deck (Powerpoint) instead.

Success seems to be based on a mix of: finding an idea there is (or will be) demand for, unwavering determination, the ability to motivate people, and learning the jargon and BS so many potential investors expect you to know.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had two failed attempts at starting a company if that counts.

This is a very helpful website/magazine Business News & Strategy For Entrepreneurs | Entrepreneur.com And national business newspapers usually have some kind of start up or small business section Startup Journal - Wall Street Journal - Wsj.com Personally I'd advise against watching shows like Shark Tank because it's more entertainment than accuracy. Newspapers and magazines will almost always be more reliable sources of information on anything than TV shows, unless it's something like this Elon Musk Profiled: Bloomberg Risk Takers: Video - Bloomberg

What kind of a company is it? If it's tech then you should definitely read about angel investors and venture capital.

Learning how to write a good business plan is a must Amazon.com: FT Essential Guide to Writing a Business Plan: How to win backing to start up or grow your business (The FT Guides) eBook: Vaughan Evans: Kindle Store and in the case of tech startups you could make a pitch deck (Powerpoint) instead.

Success seems to be based on a mix of: finding an idea there is (or will be) demand for, unwavering determination, the ability to motivate people, and learning the jargon and BS so many potential investors expect you to know.
Awesome, thanks for your input and advice. I'll definitely get some books. I think the most important thing right now for me is trying to find out the best place to look to know what the latest inventions are, what's new? What do people want? What will people want?

Yes it's tech. I have a few ideas floating around that I jot down when I get the chance.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts