Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, and fellow ESFJs. First post to the forum.

Recently started taking more interest in this whole MBTI stuff, and if I'm honest, I find myself becoming rather sceptical. There are various reasons for this, too many to list all at once, but for the purposes of this thread, I wanted to find out if there are any other ESFJ Engineers out there, specifically electrical and mechanical.

My reason for asking this was after looking at Truity.com. I noted on the 'Work & Careers' section for ESFJs, under ideal jobs it lists a whole load of jobs, every single one of which I would detest doing. Quite literally hate! Then, under unpopular choices it states that "Electrical Engineer", along with various other technical related jobs.

I have been working as an electrical engineer for 11 years now (after studying electronic and electrical engineering at university), and I absolutely LOVE my job. Honestly, I can't think of anything I'd enjoy more as a career. I also can't think of a better bunch of people to work with than other engineers, especially mechanical engineers (also listed as an unpopular choice) and civil engineers.

This further makes me question the accuracy and relevance of MBTI as anything other than a very high level assessment.

So... are there any other happy/content/budding ESFJ Engineers out there?

·
Registered
ESFJ
401 Posts
I wouldn't base being an ESFJ off of the career placement lists. I am in the design-build world and while I don't always enjoy all the technical parts, I like the creativity and seeing projects to completion and being built and working with different communities and people. What is it about engineering that you find so fulfilling? Maybe making a list of it will help you see that it's all somehow connected. The problem solving, completing tasks, creativity, working with others, improving other people's lives through your work, feeling competent, being organized and organizing the world around you, etc. We don't all have to be teachers and professional caregivers to be ESFJ. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi SummerRoads. Thank you for the response. Yeah, I’v pretty much dismissed that page now – it also managed to be somewhat inaccurate for my ISTJ partner.

Funnily enough, it’s the design and build world I am technically in at the moment - Specifically Water. I’m an electrical design engineer at heart, but have been branching out to gain commissioning experience as well of recent – I like the idea of being able to take a project from a blank sheet right through to handing the building keys over to the customer, or, as the case stands today, taking a ‘worn out’ site and mending/improving it.

Oppositely, it’s the technical elements of the design stage I thrive on the most, including the problem solving and, at times, creativity that goes with it. Project Management is the bit I tend to shy well away from, basically because it takes me away from the technical aspects. Various suggestions you gave also apply: completing tasks and improving other people's lives through my work. I also quite like the fact that there is an element of “everyday being a school day” to this career too.

Working with other like-minded (w.r.t. the job) is also an advantage, however, I’m also quite happy to work from home completely alone in our study (with the door firmly closed and a pair of noise cancelling headphones on) when I need to do something that requires a bit more concentration.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I personally don't know one. Most Fe dominants I know in my life are in careers where they organize people into groups, teaching, administrative, church etc. Creating and establishing NGO's, non-profits, organizing volunteer groups etc.

The only ESFJ I know who's not in a people oriented job used to be a paid member of a religious group but had to quit and now he's doing a technical trade. While he says it's a living for his family, I can see that he's consistently stressed and beat down. He craves being able to go back to what he used to do.

But, my dad's an ESTJ (civil engineer / project director) and he gets high on his work as opposed to you saying that it drains you. Project Management is for TJ's and they love doing it. It's what they live for. At the same time, he is also dedicated to people and loyal and charitable as well, and genuinely wants to improve human capital, but his approach is more directed towards human development through encouraging self-improvement (giving them jobs and advice on how to advance their careers pragmatically) as opposed to emotionally or in any other "spiritual" guidance sort of method which is something I've noticed more with ESFJ's. For example, my maternal grandfather was an ESFJ through and through and while he worked for the military during the day, he led a deeply spiritual life committed to his religion .. His idea of group harmony was to have parties at home and quite literally held religious functions.

My dad never even thought about something like that and he has a very pragmatic approach to religion. They were quite literally opposite in that way.

However, there's no reason why an Fe dominant wouldn't be capable of enjoying the line of work you're in. My INFJ mom is also a civil engineer, but she's more inclined towards documentation, environmental impact studies and writing reports and books. Her introversion is natural and her career followed the path of an introvert. While extroverts can remain isolated for a certain period of time, in effect they still derive their energy from the external world.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Reap

That's an interesting point:

The only ESFJ I know who's not in a people oriented job used to be a paid member of a religious group but had to quit and now he's doing a technical trade. While he says it's a living for his family, I can see that he's consistently stressed and beat down. He craves being able to go back to what he used to do.
That's a real shame and unfortunate circumstance to be in. I can only imagine the sort of 'trapped' feeling he'll probably be feeling - not wanting to do that job, but can't not do the job.

The question here I guess is how we fully define people oriented. In my job, the people orientation I guess is that I'm in an open plan office where we are all working TOGETHER toward the same goal. Aside general 'chit chat' and project meetings, the only interaction really is when we need to ask each other a project related question. I'll normally be working in a team, but where I'm doing my own part of the design, while others are doing their parts of the design, and then we all piece it together. Compared to the job roles you listed above for the ESFJs you know, I suspect I have a lot less pure people interaction. Managing people and the project, as I say, doesn't interest me as it pulls me away from the technical stuff i.e. the stuff I enjoy. Sadly this means I'll never be a rich engineer since project management is where £££ ($$$) is ha-ha

Your dad sounds like he's in the same/similar job position as my boss. I can't decide what his MBTI is - part of me wants to say ENTP, but I can't be sure. Your dad also sounds like a really fantastic person too putting his time and effort into this charitable work.

Out of interest, what do you work as, and does it align to stereotypes for your MBTI?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey,
Currently I am studying Chemical Engineering at the university and I almost got my bachelor and will start the master next year. I really like it and find it interesting to do. However, a few years ago, when I had to choose what I wanted to study, I was heavily in doubt. I always wanted to join the army but it was rather complicated to be accepted there, so eventually I chose the technical university. There was still a lot of choice like chemical engineering, physics, mathematics, mechanical or industrial engineering. I was not really sure what to do, but I chose the chemical departure. As I said, I do like it, but I think if I chose to do something else, I liked it even as much as this. It's just that I need to make a decision and then go for it. I've got a lot of motivation and wont give up easily. So I think that is what keeps me doing the things I am currently doing.

Working with other like-minded (w.r.t. the job) is also an advantage, however, I’m also quite happy to work from home completely alone in our study (with the door firmly closed and a pair of noise cancelling headphones on) when I need to do something that requires a bit more concentration.
I find this interesting, because that is really me. I like to be with people and have fun, like an ESFJ. But when I am working on school, I need a quiet place and if there are people around, they need to be like-minded. Sometimes if I will go too fast and they cannot keep up with me, they have to just shut their mouth, because I will get annoyed very fast, or will become rude..

·
Registered
ESFJ
401 Posts
My husband calls this "project mode" for me. When I'm in project mode, I'm very focused, quiet, getting stuff done, and honestly don't want to be bothered by others, especially if they're not working towards the same goal. I think this may very well be an ESFJ trait when we're really focused on completing a task.

Just because we like being around people, doesn't mean we ALWAYS need to be around people. I've found with myself (and have read somewhere else too) that ESFJs also enjoy their quiet nights away from social interactions because we need time where we don't feel that anyone is putting demands on us or that we have to do social "work." Nice to have some peace and quiet just for ourselves too.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey,
Currently I am studying Chemical Engineering at the university and I almost got my bachelor and will start the master next year. I really like it and find it interesting to do.
@addictedone Best of luck finishing your BA year. Glad you are enjoying it too. The ability to not give up easily, I think, is almost a must have in engineering IMO.

I find this interesting, because that is really me. I like to be with people and have fun, like an ESFJ. But when I am working on school, I need a quiet place and if there are people around, they need to be like-minded. Sometimes if I will go too fast and they cannot keep up with me, they have to just shut their mouth, because I will get annoyed very fast, or will become rude.
Haha, perhaps this is a unlisted trait?! Yeah when I need to really concentrate on something in work, I hate having people come up to ask me questions or, worse, pull one onto another task for a brief moment. I'll probably be a little rude too in the sense it will be obvious I'm not giving them 100% of my attention.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've found with myself (and have read somewhere else too) that ESFJs also enjoy their quiet nights away from social interactions because we need time where we don't feel that anyone is putting demands on us or that we have to do social "work." Nice to have some peace and quiet just for ourselves too.
@SummerRoads I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind it, however yes, I like to have a quiet night in, completely alone, from time to time. My partner (ISTJ) still enjoys going out to night clubs a couple of times a year with his friends. Call it age, but I can't think of anything worse than going out clubbing these days, so I'm quite happy for him to do to that while I sit at home and just completely chill out and relax on my own.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Your dad sounds like he's in the same/similar job position as my boss. I can't decide what his MBTI is - part of me wants to say ENTP, but I can't be sure. Your dad also sounds like a really fantastic person too putting his time and effort into this charitable work.
He's way to decisive to be a anywhere close to the P side of things. lol. I did have an ENTP boss once and he was great. Gave me the start in my career but I was a little more "do my own thing" kind of guy.

Out of interest, what do you work as, and does it align to stereotypes for your MBTI?
Currently doing a some random free-lance stuff. Business plans, marketing plans, social media marketing, Business Development consulting for small entrepreneurs. It's something I can do, but it's not really something I enjoy because the amount of planning required drains me. Being good at something doesn't always result in wanting to do it all the time. You know?

It wasn't really by choice but it just kinda fell into my lap through an office party I went to once. Some guy introduced me to another guy and I did some work for him and it just kinda went from there. I do about 3-4 projects a year and bring in some pocket money that way. My wife's got the more stable 9-5 job (She's an ISTJ - go figure).

I've always rejected the salesperson career, but I've always found myself going back to it and being good at it so maybe it's high time I finally accepted that this is what I'm born to do and just start doing it. I'm going for my real estate license and taking a gander at that.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
A friend of mine is an ESFJ going into nanoscale engineering and is also very interested in robotics. He seems to be mostly content with this too. I wouldn't worry too much about mbti as it relates to career choice. While certain personality styles can be more likely to share common interests, models can only be so accurate and interests/career choices are based on a lot of different factors outside of just personality type.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's way to decisive to be a anywhere close to the P side of things. lol. I did have an ENTP boss once and he was great. Gave me the start in my career but I was a little more "do my own thing" kind of guy.
Still getting the hang of what each MBTI is, but can I presume from your statement that, generally, an ENTJ would be more decisive than someone who is ENTP?

I've always rejected the salesperson career, but I've always found myself going back to it and being good at it so maybe it's high time I finally accepted that this is what I'm born to do and just start doing it. I'm going for my real estate license and taking a gander at that.
My cousin in Canada works in real estate. In fact he runs his own real estate agency, and, by all accounts, loves it! My younger brother is also in sales, despite having a Physics degree, and I'd say he falls into the same category as you in that it's just what he enjoys doing. If the sales environment is really what you enjoy, then I hope that all works out for you, especially with real estate.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
You were being contaminated and intoxicated by many NT people during your college. Initially must be very difficult but being ESFJ you have such strong will to continue, you can't back down or it hurts your image. And in the end of the day you may accept NT people and get along rather well. Then you content.

But as fully happy, i don't know. Maybe you are. Yet i can see higher probability that you may be even happier with the ones mentioned in the MBTI texts.

As for me, an INTP, i learned very well and end up from managing large group of project team to lastly a sales team. Quite strange right?. You know what, i enjoyed those rich corporate experiences but i found out no. Not really. I am not as happy as i wish i could be. Still feel like i am a misfit.

So now... i already quit and started enterpreneuring. Can't be happier.

Really sorry if my story couldnt make you happy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@contradictionary

Cheers for the interesting response.

You were being contaminated and intoxicated by many NT people during your college
Not entirely sure what you mean, plus as it was me, and me alone, who decided I wanted to do engineering after leaving high school, I don't see why this would matter even it were true? I basically chose engineering because I was always fascinated (even from a very young age) by engineering and all things electrical ("volts and amps"). Can you explain more?

Yet i can see higher probability that you may be even happier with the ones mentioned in the MBTI texts.
After looking through the suggested list (again), I'd disagree. Fitness Trainer was one of the suggestions that did make me giggle a bit. Much as I enjoy keeping fit, personally, the last thing I'd want is a fitness trainer who is highly SF (I realise I may be alone on that one).

I realise it is easy to look at a list and stubbornly dismiss it to "save face", but honestly, nothing stands out to me, and many I genuinely hate the thought of doing (School Teacher, Dietitian, HR manager to name but a few).

So now... i already quit and started enterpreneuring. Can't be happier.
Glad that worked out - what is it you are now doing out of interest? My partner (ISTJ) was also in a job he initially thought he'd love, and ended up hating it. He then went on to start his own business just over a year ago, which he genuinely loves doing and hasn't looked back. I enjoy it to on the occasions when I've helped out (ironically also not on the suggested list).

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
You were being contaminated and intoxicated by many NT people during your college
This is my deduciton to most probable reason you claim that can really enjoy your current job and your fellow engineers. You've exposed to many of them (NT people) long enough to accept them what they are, and vice versa. I also deduct, your early junior years in college will not be very fun, but nevertheless you've passed it with flying colors. So my kudos to you.

But deep inside,i supposed, by definition, ESFJ is more people oriented. So I predict, once you are in a position of managing these people you may learn it very fast you'll surprised yourself.

But then again I always only deducting and predicting. I may be wrong. Just my 0.07.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@contradictionary

I get you now...

You've exposed to many of them (NT people) long enough to accept them what they are, and vice versa
I suspect most of the folk I was friends with at uni were indeed NT types - definitely won't argue that one. I wouldn't say all the folk I work with though are. Funnily enough, since becoming more interested in MBTI, I do find myself occasionally in the office wondering what my fellow coworkers are in that regard.

On a separate note, I do find myself 'admiring' NTP (particularly ENTP) types. I haven't managed to figure this one out fully yet (and it is something I want to explore), but it is an observation I've made of myself since taking a greater interest in MBTI.

I also deduct, your early junior years in college will not be very fun
An element of truth there, but not because of the people. I did find the first couple of years stressful, but that was more because of the work load increase over what High School had been like. I'd imagine that was felt by a lot of people though.

So I predict, once you are in a position of managing these people
And this is where perhaps I won't come across as particularly ESFJ'ish - I don't want to go into management for 2 simple reason. 1. I don't want to manage people (at least not at a 'Project Management' level) and 2. more so, I don't want to be taken away from the technical role which is what I really enjoy.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
because of the work load increase over what High School had been like
Not to argue, mind you. I think this is the differnce.

College load is never fun, but if it is "your field" it will be rather enjoyable right away. As opposed to...

I guess you know where i'm heading. Anyway, success and keep up your good job!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts