Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You must be thinking, "WHUT?!" I've noticed that I quite like talking to people, though I think the main trait that stops me from being labelled an extrovert is the fact that I only like to talk to people when it's one on one, or a small group. In a big group, I feel suffocated, drained, smothered. In addition to that, I don't like to initiate conversations or approach people. I like to be approached. It makes me feel like I'm desired. :wink: For some reason, I also act a lot more extroverted when I'm around very shy people. Less pressure to blend into the crowd I guess. I noticed a lot of INFP's here are super introverted.... Just wanted to see if there were more people like me, or maybe I'm special... :blushed: Yay for the new emoticons. :cool:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I enjoy talking to people one on one as well. I get completely lost in large groups. I also really like to be approached, I often sit around hoping that someone will come up and talk to me. I'm also quite social, I like to go out and I enjoy parties, I also catch up with my friends regularly, usually once a week if I'm not swamped with work. I actually get very bored if I am by myself for too long, so I guess I'm a bit extroverted in that sense. But overall I am a strongly introverted person.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I enjoy talking. In large groups I tend to take a back seat because more often then not there are a few people who are much louder than myself that dominate the conversation and I can't be bothered to compete. I can also be quiet in small groups.

It really depends on:

1) The conversation - if we are talking about a subject that I know a lot about, that interests me, then I will be very talkative.
2) The people I'm with. If I'm with people who I mentally 'click' with then I will talk a lot, and find that I can bounce my ideas of them and they can bounce their ideas off me and we have a lot of fun.
3) Again, the person I'm with. I've had one to one conversations before and found that I haven't had a lot to say. Sometimes these silences are comfortable and other times they're not. I've also been in one to one conversations where I've felt completely comfortable, so much so that I can just ramble on and on forever haha.

Sometimes I just prefer to listen, especially if I'm with a talkative person who is talking about ideas and possibilities and has a lot of interesting things to say. I find myself watching them instead, in those moments I actually allow myself to look at the person...really look at them and notice them physically, which is something I hardly ever get chance to do.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I believe it's possible for an introvert to be extremely social. The more their extroverted side is developed, the better. I haven't take the tests in a while, but I never got 100% or even 80% introversion.I think it was 60%+ introversion. In any case, I am indeed introverted, and no real extrovert of any kind, and I cannot even fake it. But I am extremely comfortable talking my head out with somebody that I am comfortable with, making jokes, etc., in such manner that if people see us talk, they would think I am no introvert. However, I'm not a parties/club guy, and deem that I will never be, but that's fine. Like many above, I love one-on-one conversations. So if I am approached by a stranger, I will talk to him/her, unless I am giving an extremely creepy/selfish vibe. I have a natural smile, and love to make people feel comfy from the get go. So while it's not natural for me just to open up to a whole stranger, if a stranger approaches me, I am very warm and welcoming. Anti-social I am not, despite my apparent quietness-it's just that I am an introvert at heart, and don't like too loud/rowdy places.

On a related (but not really) note, this is perhaps one of the reasons I express myself through my image. While many INFPs like to avoid standing out (they have their own good reasons) I like to "speak" through my image. It not only speaks about who I am and what I believe in, but also is my kind of "hello, here I am" to my world. My introversion needs to get some outlet of expression without words, and I feel the way I carry myself, from my clothes to my mannerisms, are part of my social interaction-as I've said before, our image sometimes speaks louder than any introductory words.

·
Banned
748 Posts
I can identify with a lot that is said here. I think I'm more shy and less introverted, but still more introverted than extraverted, if that makes sense.

I love talking in groups of people I kinda click with but I have to sort of trust these people not to think inside the box... And I don't trust a many people to that, especially not strangers. It would be easier if I had this love-me-or-it's-your-loss attitude but that's not (yet) the case.

Also, approaching people is something you can learn. It just takes a little courage but you're not unable of doing it. I think it's especially easy if the other person is a bit shy so you can help them open up without needing to worry about yourself.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I can identify with a lot that is said here. I think I'm more shy and less introverted, but still more introverted than extraverted, if that makes sense.

I love talking in groups of people I kinda click with but I have to sort of trust these people not to think inside the box... And I don't trust a many people to that, especially not strangers. It would be easier if I had this love-me-or-it's-your-loss attitude but that's not (yet) the case.

Also, approaching people is something you can learn. It just takes a little courage but you're not unable of doing it. I think it's especially easy if the other person is a bit shy so you can help them open up without needing to worry about yourself.
Hah! I have that "love me or it's your loss attitude" (without arrogance) but still can only take the spotlight in a small group only if I already am super comfortable (they are "my kind of people"). Otherwise, the rare times I am in a group I will try to stand out little by little through my bad puns/jokes. :p But I really don't mind if I am not liked, 'cause who cares? They lose the opportunity to get to know a person that would most probably have enriched their lives (it's sometimes sad too, because that person might have enriched our own lives as well.)

Approaching people is indeed something that can be learned by all types of people. I find it that it is not lack of confidence with me, but that I need to be extremely motivated to approach somebody I do not know, and not everybody I meet makes me want to jump over my introversion to get to them, hahaha! And much like you, I like shy or otherwise introverted people because I can identify with them, and I feel I can approach them with kind, soft words. I feel that extroverts should better approach me first, hahaha! Despite our introversion, I think we can all be at least decent at approaching people-for me, it's a matter of motivation: do I WANT to approach that person anyway?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
i would like to become an extroverted infp
like not necessarily become an enfp (not a big fan of extroverts), but rather an introvert who is not afraid of conversation
You can. ^^ Make it a life cause and work on it? You have plenty to offer to others in conversation, especially as an INFP.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
@EarthBoy I agree with @IcarusDreams, I don't know how old you are, but I've found that the older I get the more confident and outgoing I am. Going out places and hanging out with friends, meeting like minded people is a real boost for confidence and helps to get me out of my head. :happy:

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm very social, but I usually become bored with most conversation.
Same here when I'm with predictable people. But I do enjoy the random angles of intuitive company.

The extroversion I've challenged myself to have to do more with jobs and activities. I've traveled to different countries doing mission work, teaching English, and doing work/exchange. I've also performed in front of crowds and next month I'll be doing the same with Sea World and Disney. It's not like I absolutely love doing these things (I'd probably rather sit at home and read or work on my art projects), but I always feel the need to challenge and stretch myself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Extrovert / Introvert in the MBTI sense is how you handle energy, not if you are social or not.
Extroverts GET energy from interacting with their environment
Introverts USE UP energy when they are interacting in their environment
It also says which is your dominant function (Ne-Fi vs Fi-Ne)

Introverts without some time alone (or with only one other person that they are very comfortable with) will become nuts. Extroverts who spend too much time without interaction will go nuts too. (lucky for them, they can interact with their environment even if there aren't people around)

USUALLY extroverts are more social because since they NEED the interaction they have a very strong drive to go socialize. This doesn't mean that they are good at socializing, just that they are more likely to. Social introverts are people who like the interaction, but still do get tired by it. They also will not enjoy interaction for the sake of interaction, it has to have a meaning to it.

To sum it up : in a MBTI context, extroversion / introversion is about handling of energy. These words do NOT have the same meaning as in "popular culture" and "everyday use". "Extrovert INFP" has no coherent meaning, because you are using two different reference points in the same sentence :
"extrovert in the popular meaning of this word, but INFP in MBTI" starts to make sense.
and "social INFP" is the real thing.

BTW, the fact that large groups suffocate you and that you like one-to-one are a DEFINITE signs of introversion (in the MBTI sense once again).

I know that there is a social stigma on "introverted" but this is only when you use that word in popular culture. Introverted in a MBTI context is just not the same thing.

(similarly a MBTI "judger" will not necessaraly be judgemental, and the MBTI meaning for "intuition" is miles away to what is meant in everyday talk ...)

I hope this clears things out for you. What stops you from being extroverted is that you are not extroverted (in the MBTI sense). What makes you want to be "extroverted" is the popular positive connotation of this word when not used in MBTI.

Good news for you, you can be a social INFP, that's cool for everyone.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
@hollymolly, that is me to a t. I am working on it. But in a room full of strangers, I get tongue-tied and drained. With a small group or 1 on 1 I can feel very comfortable being chatty.

@Cresto, I try to remember that. Thanks.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I guess I have phases. There are times I'm very hyper and chatty and bouncy and there are times when I'd rather stay quiet in my corner. I wish the bouncy times would happen more frequently, because I find a lot harder maintaining a conversation in my down time - even if I WANT to force myself to talk, I just get lost of words.

I think I'm social, but I'm also strongly introverted. It's delightful to know someone with whom the conversation just flows naturally, but it's kinda rare. :( Most of times I'm unsure of what to say, worrying about the impression I give and I have a really hard time sharing my interests or ideas - even though I want to discuss them, I can't because if I perceive the other person isn't quite interested (or is just appearing to be interested to be polite but not really getting engaged in the conversation), it really puts me off. :rolleyes: Sadly this happens more frequently than I'd like.

Group conversations are fun when people actually listens to what I say and don't keep interrupting each other. :D Another thing that really puts me off.

Sorry if I went off topic, just felt the need to vent about this. .___. It's something that's constantly bugging me.

I've also developed a relative easiness with small talk. It doesn't annoy me and most of strangers that approach me starts with some small talk. I can answer nicely and try to improve the conversation to something more interesting, if I see an opening. :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I can relate! I'm definitely an introvert, but that doesn't mean I don't like to talk. Like you, I don't usually initiate a conversation with someone I don't know well, and I am quiet in large groups. But with people I am close to, there's nothing I'd rather do than ramble and speculate for hours.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually introverts can be very talkative when the subject interests them and / or they are with people that they feel good with.
You may notice tough there is a tendancy to monolog more than go back and forward : introverts will often either listen / observe a lot, or say their thing. It's usually more about getting out something from inside than about the interaction itself. This is not a rule obviously - just something that happens more often than not.

I guess I have phases. There are times I'm very hyper and chatty and bouncy and there are times when I'd rather stay quiet in my corner. I wish the bouncy times would happen more frequently, because I find a lot harder maintaining a conversation in my down time - even if I WANT to force myself to talk, I just get lost of words.
Well, this is a skill. The difference between you and extroverts is that it uses up your energy. Just like anything though, it get easier with practice. A good example is to have default rehearsed phrases and questions for when you are a little bit lost (yes, canned). This kind of stuff can get you by until you feel comfortable without them, just like having stabilizer wheels on your bike until you can ride it on your own.

I know there is this idea that canned stuff is not authentic blah blah blah, but the real authentic thing is that you want to connect with people, so a little help on the content from time to time is just as authentic if not more because of the underlying meaning of it.

Examples of standard things : short stories or anecdotes, jokes, questions such as where did you grow up, what are your dreams, where do you like to travel, what do you think about (insert recent event such as irene tornado), what are your hobbies, do you play sports, ... It no rocket science, just stuff that you get used to until you create your own patterns (we all have some anyway, so why not build them consciously?) ...

And when you need to, there is no shame is going a bit alone. Just be sure to get back to the person if you felt they were interesting ^^

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Because of the spectrum not of the bipolar view (unlike Jung's) of introversion/extroversion attitudes, it is not wonder that even an introvert shows some degree of extroversion. I think that rarely one will test 100% introvert, but this might depend on which Internet MBTI -like test version you take, because they vary in a complexity and types of questions asked. I would trust real MBTI instrument- the complete one from their website, but it is rather expensive to take. Small groups could be exciting for me if we all share common values/goals. Large groups drain my energy. I prefer to work in a silent atmosphere most of the time. Long talks with only one person could be draining if I am required to talk about something that is not positive or interesting.

I am extroverted when I talk about something interesting, creative, spiritual, etc. with a person who is my genuine friend.
I am extroverted when I have to persuade a mortgage company to cut the crap and transfer my call to someone who will help me.
I am extroverted when I do not understand something, and I need a clarification because my job might depend on it.
I am extroverted when I need to help someone in a dire need, and when I fight for people who I love.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know what you mean. If I go to a party I tend to pair up with someone but then worry I'm cramping their style, or I get paranoid that people find me odd or annoying (perhaps that bit's just me though).

I love talking to people one on one, but find people consider my observations quite strange or avant-garde or perhaps just plain pretentious, still, I get on well with folks so can't really complain.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts