Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now I've been thinking about getting some practical education and getting into the film industry and I'm wondering if there are any people here that are in the film industry or any students in a film studies or practical program.

im basically curious about anything you'd have to say: stories, advice, your career, your personal life, east coast or west coast in both the USA and Canada (i live in Canada) or Europe, ambitions, your current or former school, interests... anything, oh and your favourite movie if you wish.

in about a month, ill be headed to Vancouver to check out some of the schools over there and im starting to get really excited.

Reactions: Kilgore Trout

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Was going to go to film school, but eventually decided to get the education I needed myself, and do it myself. :happy:

I am majoring at a regular school for English and Art.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It's a great field. However, you need thick skin and know that friends may not be your friends if it means moving. Also if you find great friends that are not the type to stab that is better than finding gold.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? What sorta work do you do Jojo?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why do you say "you need thick skin"? Is that mostly the acting part? or even the camera and production part?

and can you explain what you mean by "know that friends may not be your friends if it means moving" please? im not quite sure i understand.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
I think perhaps what he means is that the film industry is a very cut-throat business....if someone can get ahead by leaving you behind, out to dry, they probably will.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Film production student here :) The art department is my true love. <3

Some advice I've been given that I can pass on:
Don't burn bridges. This industry is small.
Be humble. Egos on set do nothing but destroy.
If you feel like if you won't be able to breath without being in film, you're in the right industry. You have to put absolutely everything into this career choice.

ETA: My favourite films currently are Goodbye Lenin, Buffalo '66, Brick, and Secretary. I'm also a gigantic 80s' teen movie geek.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
why do you say "you need thick skin"? Is that mostly the acting part? or even the camera and production part?

and can you explain what you mean by "know that friends may not be your friends if it means moving" please? im not quite sure i understand.
Sorry for the delay in my answers. "Thick skin" is required for the whole industry. Depending on the Directors and producers you will be screamed at, blamed, accused, and sometimes manipulated. That is not always the case but happens often.

This business is "Cut-throat" and sometimes your "friends" may chose a part/position just to move ahead.

To be successful show up early. Always be ready to step up. Be flexible and know every position. The more flexible you are the more successful your film career will be. It is important that you ask questions but it even better to try avoid some while on the clock. Hone your craft... after your shift ask your director/ or even teacher if you can practice more. Or ask more pointed questions. Always be Humble.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Film production student here :) The art department is my true love. <3

Some advice I've been given that I can pass on:
Don't burn bridges. This industry is small.
Be humble. Egos on set do nothing but destroy.
If you feel like if you won't be able to breath without being in film, you're in the right industry. You have to put absolutely everything into this career choice.

ETA: My favourite films currently are Goodbye Lenin, Buffalo '66, Brick, and Secretary. I'm also a gigantic 80s' teen movie geek.
I agree on the don't burn the bridge. However, there can be times you really might have to because some exceptions of really really mean people will destroy your career because they are bored. I have seen it happen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the replies everyone. This information is really helpful.

So, basically, I gotta learn that just because I'm being yelled at doesn't mean that I was wrong in any way. This I'm sure I will struggle with at first. This is the big one.

I would only be worried about being manipulated IF I was unable to realize I was being manipulated. Sometimes I recognize it and sometimes I don't.

I'm a pretty humble person so I'm not worried about my ego.

I typically show up early for a job where I know setup is required. When little or no setup is required then I usually show up when it's supposed to start. I do have a BA in Dramatic Arts and one big rule was that if you show up on time, you're already late.

I guess I need to be more okay with asking questions. I typically get by with just observing, because I'm such a smart guy (humble, i swear!), but I do ask questions for more complicated things. Better to do it once.

I don't like to burn bridges but I am ready to.

But how is a "friend" getting a part/position just to get ahead a bad thing? Are you saying that they get ahead and then would "forget" me?

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
But how is a "friend" getting a part/position just to get ahead a bad thing? Are you saying that they get ahead and then would "forget" me?
They would get ahead but possibly sabotage you to do it.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I took some film courses in college and loved every one of them. After college, I sent applications to most of the big production studios. I don't know what I was thinking.

I'd love to work in the industry as a writer or something similar...actually, I'd be happy with just about any position in the film industry. Need coffee? I'm your man.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You will see some people will go to extreme lengths tou get ahead. Like get you drunk so you won't make it. Be cautious and be aware people's intent. To quote Reagan "Trust but verify!"
Sometimes competition is still competition.

Three movies I recommend that give a little insight. For humor. Anchorman. A lesson learned from Mr. Teleprompter 2. Overnight. about Troy Duffy. I think it was intended to make a very nice person look bad.
3. Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ill go see if i can find Overnight at the Rogers here. I've never heard of it. The other two I'm sure I can find.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm a film production major. I also just started working for my university's student television station as a writer and actor. They produce 3 original shows as well as short films. I'm pitching one of my scripts to them shortly and if they choose to produce it, I'll have even more ideas to offer them.

After I graduate I'm going to start my own production company with my friends. We're going to be jacks of all trades: writing, directing, producing...maybe not marketing, yuck. I'm not going to wait until then to actually make the films though.

Just a heads up: Film school cannot tell you how to make a good film from an artistic point of view. Film school cannot tell you which films are good, which ones aren't and why. Only you and your audience can do that. Film schools that analyze from this perspective are a waste of time. Remember Quentin Tarantino's quote: "I didn't go to film school; I went to films."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts