Personality Cafe banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm on the other side of the spectrum. I almost have constantly 2 images in my mind. One that is coming from my eyes and the other one are "stories" in my head. Even listening to music gives me stories and most of the songs I listen to are without lyrics. Actually a friend of mine made me realise that.

"About bucket head. Heh he is telling a story about people. Meting for the first time ...enjoying each other company, finding more about each other and after a while they start to notice how different they are , that thy follow different paths. That leads to conflicts .. they try to sort them out but only because they still cling to the initial impression of each other and didn't account for the fact that people don't reveal everything to someone they barely know. Unfortunately that wasn't their destiny but they're all human and they're suffering from the loss and many different mixed emotions that they cannot understand."

She asked if there are any lyrics to this and I said that there are none.

That is how I experience music and this song is one of the most tragic love stories that I know.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't think I can "regain" it since I don't recall ever having the ability in the first place. I would like it very much if I could acquire the ability (maybe?).
I wonder. I actually wasn't aware that this condition existed, but it reminded me of a website I ran into a few years ago. I thought it was a bit odd that this guy was talking about picturing a remote location in your mind as an advanced "empath" technique that not many can do, but it's something I do naturally all day.
It's a bit of reading, and maybe it's a lot of nonsense, or maybe it's useful to you, but here you go: The Book Of Storms | Empath 101

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm finding it very difficult to answer that question.

In the world of sensory experience things are divided and distinct. Sight is one thing and hearing is another. Seeing is not hearing and hearing is not seeing.

Touch is one thing and smell is another. The feeling of my hand in water is not the same thing as the smell of spring.

In my day-to-day experience these things are all clearly distinguishable. I experience them as separate things and I have no trouble discerning one thing from another.

But in my memories everything is combined into a single thing. The memory may not necessarily include all the senses, but of the senses each memory includes they are somehow united into a single instantaneous and comprehensible feeling-meaning object.

By 'instantaneous' I mean if I had a red-hot skillet and I dropped the tiniest droplet of water into the skillet, the memory would evaporate more quickly than the droplet of water.

The memories, as experienced, have the invisibleness of a feeling but the content of the feeling can include things like facial expressions, bodily movements, vocal tonality, sounds, internal bodily 'energetic' patterns, and what 'feels like' imagery. It's difficult to describe.

Most of the memories are situations where someone's heart felt off-balance. Either my own heart or somebody else's. A small percentage of the memories are instances where someone's heart shined particularly brightly.

I've been sitting here for the last hour and I haven't found one memory that isn't feeling-centered. The feeling content is the primary element in the memory.

I cannot imagine or remember the taste of pizza but I can experience cravings for pizza. I can feel like I'm in the mood for a pizza
Wow I have never heard anyone else perfectly articulate what I experience. The only difference with me is that I've always had a very strong musical ear which has been reflected through my passion for music. I'm kinda geekin' out over here though because I wondered if there were any other INFJs with aphantasia.

Most if not all of my fondest memories that I still can recall are feeling-centered but eventually with time no matter how hard I try to hold on to some of them they eventually fade and the memory is completely gone. It's a little sad when you can no longer 'feel' the memory. It's quite difficult to describe.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Woah that's so interesting! I can't imagine what it would be like to be a fully present, in-the-moment-at-all-times INFJ.. you're living the dream. Do you ever get lost in your thoughts though? Even without the visualization part?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Woah that's so interesting! I can't imagine what it would be like to be a fully present, in-the-moment-at-all-times INFJ.. you're living the dream.
How is it a dream?

Do you ever get lost in your thoughts though? Even without the visualization part?
What do you mean by "lost"?

The directedness of my attention and the nature of my bodily apparatus means my attention must necessarily exclude some things while being focused on others.

In that sense I may always be 'lost' from another's perspective because there will always be things I'm not seeing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
How is it a dream?
Well I personally spend hours a day in my mindscape, replaying past interactions and memories and visualizing possible scenarios.. which I suppose could be a good thing, but it really takes me away from the present moment and causes me unnecessary anxiety. I'm constantly working to be more present in real life, not in my mind so much.

What do you mean by "lost"?

The directedness of my attention and the nature of my bodily apparatus means my attention must necessarily exclude some things while being focused on others.

In that sense I may always be 'lost' from another's perspective because there will always be things I'm not seeing.
Yeah, I guess that answers my question. By "lost" I was just wondering if you're ever in your own head so much that you are completely oblivious to the outside world.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
By "lost" I was just wondering if you're ever in your own head so much that you are completely oblivious to the outside world.
Not so much in recent memory but I think I know what you're talking about.

I'd never say I'm beyond it happening again but it happened a lot in the past and it happens now rarely or never.

I experienced it sometimes like whirlpools on my visual field. I'd fall in and be dumped out over and over, every day.

While I was 'underwater' I'd be mostly blind to some or all of my field of perception.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I didn't know this was a thing. I didn't think peoples' minds were filled with sights and pictures. That seems silly. My mind is just full of thoughts, concepts, feelings, etc. When I remember something, it's not a visual memory, it's a verbal recollection of events in my mind. I can picture things if I try, but my mind doesn't go there without me prompting it to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I discovered a few years ago that other people can actually see things in their head and I can't.

As far as I know the condition didn't have a name until 2015 when a team at the University of Exeter Medical School decided to call it 'aphantasia' (from the Greek, meaning "absence of fantasy").

Blake Ross (co-creator of Firefox) just discovered this fact about himself and did a nice write-up on it here:

Aphantasia: How It Feels To Be Blind In Your Mind
I'm very late to this, but I found out this was a thing a little less than a month ago. It's blowing my mind too. I'm an INFJ personality type with aphantasia. I was curious if the two have any correlation, one would think HOW we think effects who we are and therefore our personalities.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts