Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so

First of all congratulations

Second of all, how the hell did you pull it off?

Is the time, dedication, organisation perhaps better handled overall by a J than a P. Not absolutely, just generally?

·
Banned
554 Posts
can you imagine them as a doctor.

doctor: "unfortunately you've got terminal cancer."
carl: "what...?"
doctor: "but you can be cured. there is a cure out there."
carl: "you told me i have terminal cancer and have 2 months to live, how can there be a cure for terminal cancer?"
doctor: "that's right. but there is a cure. we will cure you! optimism carl!"
2 months later..
- doctor infp attends carl's funeral -
- doctor infp opens up casket and reaches in to touch carls rotting decomposing body and says,
doctor: "you can still be cured. we will find a cure"

we need more people like this in our society and medical institutions. giving hope to the hopeless. remarkable gift.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't have a PhD, but have the opportunity to get one. If you have a good advisor and interesting topic, I think it's possible to stay focused for the time it takes. I'm more concerned it might be unhealthy and not really worth the effort. In the end it would mainly be prestige for me.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

carl: "you told me i have terminal cancer and have 2 months to live, how can there be a cure for terminal cancer?"
2 months later..
- doctor infp opens up casket and reaches in to touch carls rotting decomposing body and says,

we need more people like this in our society and medical institutions. giving hope to the hopeless. remarkable gift.
wow this shouts self confidence to me....no wait its arrogance again

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm doing my MPhil now, and I have the most uptight supervisor and it's taking me forever to finish simply because I keep putting off writing out of sheer stress. I can't think on demand, I can't write when he says "sit down and write" - for me, my writing (personal and thesis) comes in bursts of inspiration, and not if I'm being nagged to death by someone or eaten alive by guilt.

I often feel if I'd been more organised about the thoughts in my head, more structured, if I trusted outlines, I'd be a lot further along than I am now, but then I wouldn't be hit by flashes of genius every now and then. I keep my mind waaaay open for new ideas to float in and I seize upon them and see if I can fashion them into something usable. If I had a pre-planned thesis, I doubt I would want to keep adjusting it to include in new things.

I am in my last semester and should really submit my thesis this June. I finally escaped from the university environment (too cloying) and made my way home, and will write it and hopefully finish it while I'm here. The change of scene and people in my life was very necessary. I was under way too much external pressure.

·
Registered
917 Posts
i only got as far as halfway through my masters degree (with hindsight trying to do a masters in maths just because i was good at it at a-level may not have been my best idea (yes i really did pick it simply because i was doing well with it at a-level, i picked my a-levels (maths, further maths, physics, chemestry) for the same reason, i had no idea what i wanted to do with my life so stuck with what seemed to be going well)

·
Banned
493 Posts

2 months later..

Sorry, your script sucks. We aren't going to make a movie out of it.

·
Banned
493 Posts
I worked in a lab for awhile with students that were trying to get their PhDs.

It has nothing to do with type.

If bs'ing doesn't work, then one must resort to dedication and perseverance.

Yes, some people can bs their way to anything... even a PhD. I don't recommend this though. You'll be the 'idiot of the ___ department' and will probably be asked to do 'worthy-of-being-done-by-a-monkey' tasks.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I did everything that was asked of me in order to get my Ph.D. up to the point where my advisor asked me to contravene my integrity. I walked away having passed my orals and written a dissertation that I was willing to stake my career on. I declined to his request of me to publish his a priori conclusions that were not supported in my analysis in the interest of getting more funding. Nobody won.

The Ph.D. wasn't worth that level of dishonesty to me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't see why an INFP wouldn't be able to go for their PhD.

A PhD is hard no matter what the personality type is; I think it depends on the personal drive, and the school someone chooses (because of politics, etc) more than I would a personality type. Personally, I don't have the drive to do it but I know that I could do it if I was so inclined.

·
Banned
493 Posts
I did everything that was asked of me in order to get my Ph.D. up to the point where my advisor asked me to contravene my integrity. I walked away having passed my orals and written a dissertation that I was willing to stake my career on. I declined to his request of me to publish his a priori conclusions that were not supported in my analysis in the interest of getting more funding. Nobody won.

The Ph.D. wasn't worth that level of dishonesty to me.
Very admirable.

People need to understand that shrewd people are in all professions, even research.

I've actually had my career threatened by a PhD student. She asked me to do a bunch of things for her or else she'd see that bad things were known about me. There were no bad things to be known about me, but I didn't shrug it off thinking to myself, "Is this woman that screwed up in the head?" Yeah, she really was the screwed up. I had to leave the lab because she became verbally abusive and told a big fat lie that got me in trouble and just about almost ruined my career.

This woman recently got her PhD and has become a professor. I really think that's where the school system fails students... When screwed up people like her are allowed to become professors/allowed to become certified scientists.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't know, personally the only field where I would ever be interested in doing a PhD is neuroscience, psychology or neuropsychology

and the thesis would have to be on something interesting on perhaps the neurological structure of the psychopathic brain, or even the different parts of the normal human brain and how they relate to abilities in different areas

But based on my interpretation of the cognitive function Ne and what it does, it's to expansive as opposed to Ni which seems regressive

Ne has a possibility and splits into further possibilities much like a family tree it's divergent and the ideas become less connected to each other

Ni on the other hand seems to me like it's more regressive in the sense it focuses on only the relevant possibilities to the subject matter and pulls them in. It seems convergent.

I think Ne may be great for new insight and brainstorming new possibilities but as far as closure goes, Ni seems like an advantage.

I don't know, could be different for others, I just find as an Ne user for information gathering function, I can never seem to seal the deal, put things into context as everything just keeps branching out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i only got as far as halfway through my masters degree (with hindsight trying to do a masters in maths just because i was good at it at a-level may not have been my best idea (yes i really did pick it simply because i was doing well with it at a-level, i picked my a-levels (maths, further maths, physics, chemestry) for the same reason, i had no idea what i wanted to do with my life so stuck with what seemed to be going well)

That is kind of why I think it'll be unhealthy for me to get a PhD (in maths). :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
That is kind of why I think it'll be unhealthy for me to get a PhD (in maths). :)
if your really interested in it then go for it, personally my interest level just wasnt high enough for the more difficult math at that level my mind kept wandering off the topic instead of wandering on ahead of where i was ment to be (as it had at lower levels of education), basically isntead of my nature helping me leanr quicker my interest waned and my nature made the learning far more difficult.

try to work out what you really want (difficult i know, still not sure myself) if what you really want is to study maths more thne please don't let me disuade you in any way just because it was an idiotic choice for me doesnt mean it will be for you

·
Registered
63 Posts
if your really interested in it then go for it, personally my interest level just wasnt high enough for the more difficult math at that level my mind kept wandering off the topic instead of wandering on ahead of where i was ment to be (as it had at lower levels of education), basically isntead of my nature helping me leanr quicker my interest waned and my nature made the learning far more difficult.

try to work out what you really want (difficult i know, still not sure myself) if what you really want is to study maths more thne please don't let me disuade you in any way just because it was an idiotic choice for me doesnt mean it will be for you

Thanks. I'm already pretty sure not to try for a PhD, so don't worry about dissuading me. ;)

There are indeed aspects in mathematics that interest me, but those most likly won't qualify as a topic for a thesis.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not even near that point in my education, but I do plan on getting a PhD... But, did anyone notice the amount of INFPs here with careers in the natural sciences? Doesn't fit into the usual INFP stereotype... :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts