Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so... What kinds of things in this field do you concentrate on?
Do you like theory? Do semantics bother you? Does it bother you when somebody has a poor word choice? Do you tend towards deep prose instead of poetry? Do you like grappling world problems through word devices?

On another note.
I'm just curious, some days I wake up thinking in am an INTJ and not an INFJ... just wanted to hear some thoughts. My interests usually have to have some kind of value/humanistic/greater good bent to it, it is hard for me to get into anything if it seems meaningless.
but in those same ways, I relate to say, the INTJ sex thread and other things of that nature.

I just watched an INFJ/INTJ video and definitely related more to the INTJ person talking.

http://www.infj.com/INFJorINTJ.htm

The lady here actually kind of annoyed me.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
er... yes... I'm writing a lovely paper on medical humanities and graphic novels... I don't necessarily like theory, but I do use it and read it quite a lot. I work with tons of people from all over the world so I am desensitized to semantics and word choice...

why do you ask?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I majored in English literature with minors in history and psychology. I did enjoy reading about the deeper aspects of mythology and religion while pursuing this degree, and I really enjoyed all of the plays of Shakespeare in large part because of his clever way of putting things. I don't feel bothered at other's poor word choices but am enchanted when someone is particularly articulate and has a clever way of phrasing. I do prefer prose as opposed to poetry, but do enjoy some poems to the extent that they can become stuck in my head like a song if they are clever enough and reach me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I write for fun. It's where my non-INTJ side goes to play.

I also beta read for other people too and sometimes that makes me want to rip my hair out but in the long run, I like to read stories. Not an english major though. While I enjoy reading (novels, poems, plays, etc), I would go insane when I need to submit a paper for it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
English minor over here. Writing is my passion in life. It allows me to spin beautiful worlds that could have never existed in reality. I can provoke tears with just a few sentences. Anger in a word. Dread in the slow rhythm of my syntax. It's the most invigorating thing on earth.

Unfortunately words don't spin gold, so I chose psychology for a major instead. It'll do.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have an INTJ friend who has taken several creative writing classes (he's a Chem major and pre-med), though he attributes it to wanting to be well-rounded and my influence :tongue: He seemed to really enjoy them. One of my English professors struck me as an INTJ. I think INTJs, particularly those with well developed Fi would make amazing creative writers. I mean, you guys do count Jane Austen among your ranks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have an INTJ friend who's an amazing creative writer. She definitely has her own unique style, and everything she spins out is incredibly well-worded and dotted with her signature dry wit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm an INTJ writer, though I would never waste the time or money on a degree.

I've written some poetry, but I mostly write prose. I tend toward, long works and my pieces are very character focused. My love of psychology is very obvious in my writing. I'm usually too focused on the characters to notice, but my Ni usually throws in all sorts of societal commentary, it's fun to pick out the things I never intended to put into my writing long after the fact.

On that other note, you should look at your functions. That should make it clearer.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I say yes to all your questions. I'm planning a career as a writer. I think I am a natural writer. I have written short stories, novel and some blogs.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm an INTJ writer, though I would never waste the time or money on a degree.

I've written some poetry, but I mostly write prose. I tend toward, long works and my pieces are very character focused. My love of psychology is very obvious in my writing. I'm usually too focused on the characters to notice, but my Ni usually throws in all sorts of societal commentary, it's fun to pick out the things I never intended to put into my writing long after the fact.

On that other note, you should look at your functions. That should make it clearer.
See I don't get this, what do you mean "waste" your time on a degree... Do you think it isn't difficult enough? And if so, do you have merits that prove otherwise? Sorry I just don't understand this line of thinking.

·
Banned
486 Posts
I had an English minor the first time around and I did spend a fair bit of time in English classes. I am a writer as well, stories are my first love, and it was that which brought me to English classes. I did find English classes often very frustrating because a rather large ratio of them are actually armchair psychology/sociology/political science courses run through the frame of being about English literature. I got exceptionally annoyed with people obsessing over gender issues, political commentary, and the like about novels from utterly different cultural contexts than our own and judging them taking up the entire class. I joined the class to appreciate and study the literature but too often the courses turned into "these authors bad" or see how this authors shows culture is bad. An author shows nothing because they set up their own arguments, they give you the opportunity to see what they see but its a one sided argument.

These classes were often under informed and over opinionated about issues which they lacked any actual education or knowledge about. So an an INTJ I found that to be terribly annoying because my interest in English was in how it was used and wanting to understand it artistically while so many of my classes it was being used as a political tool or excuse to express uninformed opinions.

If you love English as a writer I'd recommend sticking to literature focused classes and getting to know what kind of approach each teacher takes to the art. In addition if you really want to understand stories I'd recommend sneaking in some History classes. History professors are an interesting breed but very often incredibly passionate people. Plus some of them wear sweet bow ties, you know you can trust a bow tie.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,602 Posts
I started out an English major and Philosophy major. I'm aspiring to be a writer.

I think ISTJs are harder to tell apart than INFJs though (citing from the link)

I do think it's rather crap about the science versus the humanistic bent on both too.

INFJ ex and I had very similar views and interests.

The biggest differences are of course Fe and Ti (INFJ) versus Te and Fi.

Why don't you stick around and post some more. It might be easier for us to tell whether you are Fe/Ti or Te/Fi. Then someone can tell you in a (hopefully) constructive manner where they think you might be using different cognitive functions.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Mountainshepherd I can relate to that. The criticism for that is they are trying to incorporate these aspects of literary criticism to stay relevant... While on the other hand, other departments such as History/Philosophy have pushed aside those same types of analysis so it has fallen into the Lit departments. A lot of continental philosophy has fallen into the realm of lit departments in universities who have a strong analytic philosophy department for instance. It is similar to the political theory/political philosophy divide between Political Science and Philosophy departments. I actually enjoyed the creative writing/rhetoric style classes better, for your same reasons of odd teacher bias sometimes or trying to bring in pseudo analysis.

@bethdeth understood, will stick around for a bit. I am probably still an INFJ, but I do relate a lot to INTJ's also, more than any other type. We are in similar boats, have you thought about an MFA after your studies, or do you think you will go the grad school route? Those are my two favorite subjects though I originally did computer science. And no, that shouldn't make me more of an INTJ type, it was just a decent career choice at the time when I didn't know what else to do at 18 being a bit of a computer nerd, I hated it :p.

·
Registered
226 Posts
See I don't get this, what do you mean "waste" your time on a degree... Do you think it isn't difficult enough? And if so, do you have merits that prove otherwise? Sorry I just don't understand this line of thinking.
Personal Opinion Warning: It has nothing to do with difficulty. Getting an English major is plenty of work. However, I personally don't need a four year program to teach me to write and I think most talented writers don't either. (Becoming a better writer requires a lot of practice and a lot of reading, none of which necessarily requires a degree.) I also thinks it's a pretty useless degree unless you plan on becoming an English teacher or, I guess, a reporter. Most people who get a BA in English end up dirt poor and I know plenty of people are happy to be dirt poor English majors, but I'm not one of them. (And really my work in psychology and cognitive science is much more helpful in my writing.)

Writing is something I do because I need it. It's a way of life. I eventually hope to publish my work and I probably will. But the very concept of being taught how to do creative writing is ridiculous to me. (And yes, an English major is about more than just creative writing, but the rest of the major is similarly useless unless you plan on becoming an English teacher or professor.)

Proof:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think it is required either, but I do think it could accelerate your writing, especially if you are bouncing it off eminent scholars in your field and competent class mates. Anyway, just wanted to clarify. However, you could use the same logic for something like History, or even computer programming. Many of the best taught programmers I have ran across are completely self taught. I can certainly say the same for writers. Your thought process is certainly in tune with others, I know plenty of English/Psych Double majors, who went on to grad school in Psych, not English. Psych is not the same, as it is a professionalized field, where even if you were talented you would need the credentials in order to practice.

Reporter is probably better suited with a Communications or Journalism degree, what passes for good writing in the newsroom isn't particularly good, though an English degree would certainly qualify you for that as well.

·
Banned
486 Posts
@jd_ I can see the merit in the direction they intend. My problem is that they are putting the cart before the horse. Talking about things they don't understand and writing that off as an education, rather than educating before they start talking about things. English as a discipline is about talking about talking about stuff, and I'd like them to know about the stuff they are talking about before they start talking about how other people are talking about it.

Philosophy needs to spread out as an application, and I love what it can do in those fields, but it still needs guidance and standards.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wouldn't it be great if philosophy was the dominant majors in universities, and we didn't have to worry about "applying" ourselves into "careers"... I wish we could extend some version of the acropolis to society where we could just sit around and ponder all day

My other theory is that I developed my F side later in life... as I used to kind of reject it, now I reject "harshness" onto others. So it's either I care about others a bunch (fe) or... my Fi mediates the Te. It's truly hard for me to grasp as I am older now. I used to share some of the opinions such as "english" as a not necessary major, but my thoughts have changed on things like that, as my worldview and values have changed. This could be developed Fi... (i.e. quitting a computer programming career to live a life of writing/contemplation)

Anyway just a theory.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,602 Posts
@bethdeth understood, will stick around for a bit. I am probably still an INFJ, but I do relate a lot to INTJ's also, more than any other type. We are in similar boats, have you thought about an MFA after your studies, or do you think you will go the grad school route? Those are my two favorite subjects though I originally did computer science. And no, that shouldn't make me more of an INTJ type, it was just a decent career choice at the time when I didn't know what else to do at 18 being a bit of a computer nerd, I hated it :p.
I haven't really thought about doing anything more through uni. I'm doing library studies at the moment and might consider taking that further. It's not about career, prestige of degrees but more about doing the fuck I want when it comes to access of information. I changed to a double psych degree from the English and Philosophy major. I simply enjoy learning.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,506 Posts
what you need to know as an INTJ fiction writer:
http://phantomshine.blogspot.com/2012/05/writer-analysis-through-mbti.html

Here is another question... How do you guys feel about imagery in novels?
I grow tedious of gratuitous visual details... though, images are also necessary since much of your audience will be sensors. I get around this by making all of my images connect to the theme or symbolize something.

In response to your original post:

I am an English: Creative Writing major, though I wouldn't recommend English to anyone else. Take a few creative writing classes or find a workshop online (there are plenty through various literary journals). Major in something that you like enough and that will get you money. I would follow my own advice, but... by the time I figured out what I wanted to do... at this point, only one year of college left, no sense in changing my major. Well, teaching myself programming to get a job works just as well. Will next year take a few classes on it and get a video game design minor.

Do you like theory? yes
Do semantics bother you? no, and I can't understand those who are bothered by it.
Does it bother you when somebody has a poor word choice? no
Do you tend towards deep prose instead of poetry? I do both. I really care more about the prose, though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts