Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always understood how languages operate for the most part and am quite adept in learning them rather quickly....
I currently know 3 languages and am working on my forth one
I'm not sure what I like about languages but I find them intriguing

·
Registered
725 Posts
I am a language person, meaning that's the part of my brain that works best and the math part is very weak, and that's what interests me most in life, and that's what my professional choices have always been based on. But it's not learning different languages, it's just an interest with how language works as a communication tool. But now I wish I had pursued it more directly through linguistics.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have no idea as to all the languages I've tried to learn over the years. I've got a failing fluency in Indonesia, survival Mandarin and Cantonese, barroom French, and so many others that yes, I've got a thing with languages.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not a linguist, but my doctorate is in education with a focus on the foreign language learning of children.

I have picked up Japanese by living here, but haven't put in the time or effort to study the language "formally".

·
Registered
53 Posts
No linguist here. Language is one of my weaker skill sets. I figure it took me a lot of hard work to learn English well, and don't want to make that effort again. Sure, I know enough basic Spanish to understand and be understood in a rudimentary way, but that's it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I can speak 'up' (a variation of english where you place the word 'up' before every vowel sound) fluently, I'm learning German and I used to do Japanese but it wasn't available at my new school. I pick up new language rules easily and same with maths but I don't enjoy either subject much so I don't do well.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I was good at French in the first two years of high school. I actually really liked the idea of learning another language until I had a class. :dry: The teaching of it was incredibly dry to say the least.

I do have an interest in learning other languages though. That'll be on the back burner for quite some time unfortunately.
German in particular, I wish to learn.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I absolutely love languages, and I deeply regret not paying attention in school when they tried to teach me French. I still know the basics, but if someone threw me into France I'd have to rely on finding someone who could speak English.

English is my second language. Norwegian is my first. So far I've tried to learn a third language well enough to have a decent conversation (whether it be with someone else or myself), three of these attempts being Polish, Sami and Icelandic. I'm still attempting to learn Icelandic, though. Not giving up yet.

If everything goes down the toilet I might just have to try learning Esperanto. Just for larks.

Reactions: LegendaryBoobs

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I absolutely love languages, and I deeply regret not paying attention in school when they tried to teach me French. I still know the basics, but if someone threw me into France I'd have to rely on finding someone who could speak English.

English is my second language. Norwegian is my first. So far I've tried to learn a third language well enough to have a decent conversation (whether it be with someone else or myself), three of these attempts being Polish, Sami and Icelandic. I'm still attempting to learn Icelandic, though. Not giving up yet.

If everything goes down the toilet I might just have to try learning Esperanto. Just for larks.
Norwegian..very interesting...
I'm learning Swedish as a fourth language and so far so good.
As for French, I never liked the grammatical aspect

Reactions: Mwuuh

·
Registered
72 Posts
Norwegian..very interesting...
I'm learning Swedish as a fourth language and so far so good.
As for French, I never liked the grammatical aspect
Swedish is lovely, I think. Understandable to some degree, but then, all of a sudden, a word that doesn't sound like anything and might be the most important word of the sentence. This is when English comes in handy.

I like the "musical" aspect of Swedish and Norwegian. Get the tone wrong, and all of a sudden you have peasants on your pizza (rather than beans), or a bad-smelling duck (rather than breath). :laughing:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why does Norwegian have a word for bad-smelling duck?
It does not. I simply stated the fact that if you pronounce a certain word in the wrong pitch, you might actually be saying another word than the one you wanted to say. In this (Swedish) case, "anden" both means "the duck" and "the breath", all depending on the pitch on the first syllable.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Aaaah, I get it, both the duck and the breath are smelly :proud:

I've heard it's the same thing in Cantonese. The only Cantonese I've been though is how to compliment her female on her breasts. (Un)fortunately, I never got the pitch right.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts