Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just signed up today. I have been going no where for the last 37 years. My headshrinker recently suggested i should do the briggs myers, guess i hit the jackpot with an intp result, especially being a beef farmer from the west of ireland. Has anyone ever been told that they are a mine of useless information?

·
Registered
INTP
7,070 Posts
Has anyone ever been told that they are a mine of useless information?

Haha, yeah I've been told that loads.

I've got a mate who, without fail, will announced whenever I come out with a 'fact of the day'.

Funny thing is, this isn't the first time I've been labelled as a guy who gives 'facts of the day'..!

Welcome to the forum :happy:

Oh and sorry I'm not a farmer. But I lived in the sticks most of my life. I feel I can 'connect' with the life and attitude of farming types, but admit I'm really just one of the folk who grew up around farmy stuff without actually getting involved.

Does it get monotonous doing the work you do? Long hours and all that? Is it your farm, or you just work on one?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Just signed up today. I have been going no where for the last 37 years. My headshrinker recently suggested i should do the briggs myers, guess i hit the jackpot with an intp result, especially being a beef farmer from the west of ireland. Has anyone ever been told that they are a mine of useless information?
Welcome! Yes, I get told that a lot. I also hear, "How the hell did you know that?" often. I imagine most INTPs hear that.

INTP farmer? Interesting. I bet there's not a a lot of those in the world. I grew up on a farm, but did not carry on the family tradition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Monotony? the weather, lack of money and constant money making ideas that are far to grand to ever see the light of day in my world. Tis all mine, the farm, that is until the banks have their wicked way. But that's a story for another day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think farming can actually be decent work for INTPs, though it can be on the boring and routine side. Clever approaches sometimes pay off really well, though. I grew up on an organic livestock farm and have been involved with the business my entire life. Right now I'm involved with selling our meat at farmer's markets and doing bookkeeping, but I've also done a lot of the farming work. We're crazy hippies though.

Culturally, farming communities are boring, but rural people tend to be more down to earth, practical, less concerned with appearances and more concerned with what works. I think INTPs can resonate with some of that. The conservative attitudes and extreme risk-aversion/unwillingness to consider anything new gets really annoying sometimes, though. That and the prevalence of busybodies. Some people love it when all their neighbors and coworkers are very interested in their personal lives. I can't stand it!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Grew up on a farm. Currently working part time there as my dad is quickly becoming an old man. I agree with everything @Drakes said, especially the part where your neighbors just come over whenever they want. That fucking pisses me off. I'm working here, and you come over to distract me? Don't you have better things to do? Gah!
My dad is an IxTJ(probably N, but you could make a good case for S too), and the quiet life of farming really suits him. He's extremely disciplined, and does the work no matter what. That's the one reason I'm not going to take over when he's gone. I don't have any discipline, and I'd let things go to shit double fast.
I enjoy working on the farm part time, though. I make good money, and sitting in a tractor for 8+ a day gives me time to think about a lot of things. Last summer I got through two whole backlogs of podcasts as well.

But welcome to the forum! We always like seeing new faces around. If you enjoy random ramblings that pertain to nothing, and heated debates over philosophy, you will like it here.

·
Banned
8,159 Posts
I'm not a farmer or rancher, but I have designed synthetic sustainable ecosystems that's I'd like to put into practice one day and work all of the bugs out, but get someone else to run when I get bored. I'd also like so redpoll cattle so I can make both cheese and beef and some hogs to make my own prosciutto, but I think that is down the road. The vast expanse of outdoor wilderness has always appealed to me, though.

I've been called a font of useless information. My family used to think I was better than Google. :dry:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I prefer to call it my fountain of useless information.

I'm a gardener, yes. A farmer one day, hopefully sooner than later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts