Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep, I have a lot of trouble with math. It was my worst subject in school, yet I'm able to understand it on a different sort of level and I see math in everything but would not be able to demonstrate it to others by writing out an equation. It's like trying to read a beautiful, detailed painting to someone...if that makes sense?I understand physics when explained without the use of symbols or equations and when given lots of pictures or images to follow what is being said.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
A few semesters ago one of my professors was trying to explain some law of physics, possibly Newtonian in nature, using an example of a horse pulling a cart. Something about various forces of nature pushing at eachother but in the end his question for us was "in spite of all of these, why is said horse able to pull said cart?"

My answer was that no one told the horse about Newton's laws so he didn't know he shouldn't be able to do it.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
No I sympathize. I was just thinking about something related to this, sometimes I have such difficulty providing the answer for a mathematical (or even physically mathematical) question at times, yet I seem to so easily be able to tackle and discuss philosophical things. I think it has to do with how the rigour is related to the carrying out of the task.

I think it has to do with the fact that our thinking skill is so fundamentally subjective we resist having it channeled into an elaborate dance that may or may not detract from the individualistic thought of it. That is not to say it isn't useful, I've found being good at math makes the rest of my thinking that much clearer to myself and others, and it can inspire certain lines of intuition. But I haven't found it very accessible.... just get through the quicksand, you'll be very strong once you lift yourself out of it. Stuff that use to seem ridiculously elaborate, difficult and tedious becomes absurdly simple.

Reactions: greygohst

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
I was better at physics because it was easier to visualize, and I could logically understand the actual applications of the mathematical formulas. Math is closer to pure abstraction. Of course, if you struggle with math, you won't get very far in physics past the basic courses.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
As said earlier, you're probably better at applied math than you are at context less equations that aren't going to leave your test sheet. A certain level of math is needed to excel in physics, but if you're able to do the computations, math itself probably isn't the issue.
The answer to your question is no though. INTPs aren't inherently good or bad at either, although they're definitely a type that is more inclined to have in interest in these subjects.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've always underachieved in school, largely due to trauma I think. But just like "knowing" who my favorite Ninja Turtle was, I think as a kid I always felt physics was what I was most interested in, and would be the best in - even better than something more "macro" and real-world like biology, which is considered easier for most people.

I'm almost 30 now... so I hope if it's right for me I can get into it in the next year or two.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've always underachieved in school, largely due to trauma I think. But just like "knowing" who my favorite Ninja Turtle was, I think as a kid I always felt physics was what I was most interested in, and would be the best in - even better than something more "macro" and real-world like biology, which is considered easier for most people.

I'm almost 30 now... so I hope if it's right for me I can get into it in the next year or two.
My parents, peers and teachers ruined school for me. All it was in my mind was a competition to be better and smarter than The rest. I hated that. School came with tons of pressure and deadlines and no one seemed to pay attention to my unique or less common learning style. Instead I was just pressured non stop to keep up with the rest, adapt to the conventional learning style and constantly reminded that I will fail in life if I don't finish school and go to college too. I eventually gave up, stopped caring and dropped out. School was terrible for me. Ever since day one. But now that I know myself and don't feel overwhelmed by the pressures of society, I'm on a good path. I'm nearing my 30th as well.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
I was until we got to spinning things at which point logic was replaced by magic.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
To quote Feynman: "Physics is to math as sex is to masturbation."

However, Feynman forgets that physics and sex have boundaries that math doesn't, for example two bodies generally cant occupy the same space. In math and masturbation, that's just called geometric topology, and/or having a really good imagination.

·
Not a Robot
2,152 Posts
Bad at math but great at physics, uh? That's like saying bad at walking but great at running.
But...but I am bad at walking and great at running. I'm less likely to trip or run into a wall. I'm like a bike I guess.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I love physics and math. Though Physics has my heart any time.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts