Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that most 4s are INFPs. I personally can identify as both INFP and INTP, weirdly enough. However on tests I keep getting INTP. I am a 4w5 and the first time I saw the type 4 description I truly had an "aha!" moment, which I did not experience as much with MBTI. I feel deeply and I express my emotions, and I cry during movies, but I do have trouble empathizing with people close to me. I sometimes even stop caring about loved ones because the intensity of their feelings put me off. It is for this reason that the enneagram resonates more with me, as I am quite self absorbed and yes, selfish at times.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Are you simply mistyped?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I've considered 4w5 before - I'm not the most 5 person around.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well in some cases it is hard to tell.
For exemple i'am INFP because i relate way more with Fi due to my search for identity. However i score very high on T and got as much INTP scores as INFP if not even more.

The same with enneagram i'am 4 with very high 5 wing and i'am sure most people who know me in real life would think i'am a 5 if they knew about enneagram. Except my mother who knows me very well, she directly told me i was a 4 when i showed her the enneagram for the first time!

·
Banned
919 Posts
Well in some cases it is hard to tell.
For exemple i'am INFP because i relate way more with Fi due to my search for identity. However i score very high on T and got as much INTP scores as INFP if not even more.

The same with enneagram i'am 4 with very high 5 wing and i'am sure most people who know me in real life would think i'am a 5 if they knew about enneagram. Except my mother who knows me very well, she directly told me i was a 4 when i showed her the enneagram for the first time!
How about Te vs Ti? Which one do you identify with?
Maybe you're an INTJ.

·
Banned
919 Posts
I would like it, but no way!!

I'am too indecisive and disorganised to be INTJ, as well as too emotional, even if i'am good at hiding it. I'am definately an INFP... sadly.
Lol, don't use stereotypes to type yourself. Identifying cognitive functions is the way to go.

I'm an INTJ 4w5 and I can be quite emotional under the surface, especially when in Ni-Fi loop.

Additionally, I don't think any type is superior, so why saddly...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lol, don't use stereotypes to type yourself. Identifying cognitive functions is the way to go.

I'm an INTJ 4w5 and I can be quite emotional under the surface, especially when in Ni-Fi loop.

Additionally, I don't think any type is superior, so why saddly...
Sadly, because i wish i was a J type and have the ability to plan everything perfectly.

However you are the second person telling me about the INTJ Ni-Fi loop...

Do you have any further explanations or links that have some info on that topic??

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regardless of how many people tell me INTP 4w5 is not possible, I still identify as such.

From what I've read, Enneagram is about motive while MBTI is about how you process information. In my mind, I don't see how those two things cross paths. I can be emotional, yet I put my emotions aside to make decisions, to put it simply. In a way, I do understand how it may be seem as a contradiction, sometimes I feel like a walking paradox.

I'm confident in both, my MBTI's result and in my Enneagram. Of course, there is a chance that I can be a mistype, but until further notice, I'm an 4w5 INTP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm an INTP 4. As a kid, I was more INTJ 5, but that's changed some with adolescence. I still have a strong T because I don't make my decisions emotionally even though I have strong emotions. MBTI is about the thought process behind your decisions concerning interactions with other people, Enneagram is about internal motivation and fears. (Which is why I think the sociologists I know prefer MBTI and the psychologists I know prefer Enneagram.)

They look at different parts and functions of people, so while there can be overlap, there are no hard-and-fast rules.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello! Actually not an INTP, INFP here-- I used to have a huge INxP conundrum because of a very strong 5 wing (4w5), and I often tested as 5w6. I never saw myself as particularly emotional, either, so I thought I was an INTP 5w6 for the longest time based on tests alone. I believe that I had subconsciously already ruled out 4 as an option due to some deep-seated denial, and even after researching into disintegration and integration differences for 4s and 5s, I stubbornly clung onto the idea that I was a 5 to avoid facing the eerily accurate words of the 4 core motivations and fears. I was only able to move past the bias supplied from the internet and my own bias by choosing to accept that the truth would be better than a facade that would help me sleep at night.
The biggest factors in my mistyping was the stereotypes and more superficial information loaded onto each type's description-- I act a lot like a 5, but my core motivations lie with 4. The instinctual variants have quite a bit of an influence in it too-- 4s usually embody a strong sx vibe, and being sp/so kept me in a loop of self doubt back to the more sp-like 5s. Ti doms could only be cold and calculating and socially inept, Fi doms could only be emotional and overly vigorous in maintaining their morals-- it led to serious misunderstandings that people were only one way or another, and thus my confusion on certain apparently only "INTP" or only "INFP" traits in my actions. Opinions had stated that 4 was a despicable type, and that heavily influenced my thinking against being a 4. However, coming to face my miscomings and faults honestly and coming to regard enneagram as 9 types that are merely different and not having one superior to the other has helped me a lot more than joining in and accepting the stereotypes and deciding to keep the self-bias in favor of my ego.

·
Banned
206 Posts
You could simply have a heavy wing since I know plenty of people that live as their wing type. I can see how the 5 descriptions sound very robotic for a 5w4 with a heavy wing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I thought I was INTJ 4w5 for a while, but I realized I use Ti way more than Te, and Si rather than Se. I gotta lot of crap from both grouos saying that NT HAVE to be 5. No, fears, and desires have little to do with how your brain operates. 4 simply turns Thinkers on themselves as a subject of interest like how a 5 might turn to Science or Mathmatics. There is no logical discrepancy or contradiction to studying your own identity in a bit of soul searching, or analyzing your emotions from a scientific perspective.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Not quite an INTP, but a fellow Ti-dom. I believe that I am both type 4 and ISTP without being mistyped.

I agree with those above me who have said that typing as a thinker and a 4 core is not necessarily contradictory because motives are not the same as your brain processes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I type as an INFP, although I’m pretty split between F and T. Popular knowledge dictates that INTP’s are naturally suited to careers in the sciences. I’m good at programming and math, and I get a lot of satisfaction out of gaining deep understanding. I’ve even been offered large amounts of money for work as a programmer. However, I just don’t know if I could stand doing those things for a lifelong career — that’s why I’m choosing a career in music, which I’m equally good at. Nothing compares to the visceral satisfaction I get from writing music. Regardless, I’ve never met an INFP who is as interested in INTP things as I am. So I feel a bit out of place in the INFP forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
An INTP 4 is a contradiction. If you're an INTP you're almost certainly 5.
According to Katherine Fauvre (katherinefauvre.com), I'm a 4wing5. Tritype = 469 ; Instinctual Stacking: Intimate/One-to-One > Social > Self-Preservation.

Also, I'm what Katherine calls an INxP, because my T and F are so close....but I'd say more F.

But you can't have an all-or-nothing, simple minded mentality with human personality....We aren't robots.
There are even Enneagram 7s who are introverted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts