Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello INTPs!

INFP here. I made the same thread in the INTJ forum, but thought plenty of INTPs may have insight as well!

I'm in grad school and am taking an Information Systems class with very, very little knowledge of what IS is. So far, the class is interesting! But with such little knowledge coming in, I'm having a hard time knowing where to start building a self-propelled interest in the topic. I would love to have more for my Ne to play around with and be able to build a better network of understanding to make connections to what I hear in class. So far, with just the class materials, I have a pretty shoddy net! If anyone is willing and able to help me build an interest, what do you like about IS or what sparked your interest?

I know plenty of other types have an interest in and/or work with this stuff, but the subject sounds to me like IS/IT particularly suits some of the inclinations of INTXs. I have lots of questions, but they're mostly just feeling around the dark for a potential conversation starting point. What's some information tech stuff out there right now that's exciting to you? Are there particular industries that are really being shaped/changed/propelled quickly in a certain direction by IS right now? Why those industries more than others? It seems to be like enterprise IT adoption is talked about like a huge, accepted pain that people endure for the great future benefits, but why aren't people addressing the ease of use issue more or are they? The last one is there because I have some interest in intuitive use and design, so I'm hoping for a possible intersection of subjects

Thank you in advance, INTPs!

(Optional information about the class, if it's helpful: There's no textbook for the class, just academic journal articles and case studies, and the professor's expectation is that we nail down all the conceptual parts to be able to apply them in more of an informed managerial or team member who isn't in IT way [i.e. to know how to choose what type of IS system is appropriate for a company's needs, to know how the different parts function, gain a better grasp of how to leverage an IS system, etc.])

·
Registered
76 Posts
Information Systems? Have you ever heard the saying, "The more general the course, the less you'll learn"? I'm a software engineer and not trying to be a dick(though oft times I come off that way), but you're at a very high level, looking down, without the benefit of knowing what dwells at the lower levels. An analogy might be, "What interests you about the planet earth?" Specifically, what in "Information systems" are you interested in? My youngest son is INFP, so I somewhat understand your approach. Hit me with the important stuff. What interests you the most?

·
Registered
INTP
7,070 Posts
Genuinely all I'm really getting here is:

"I want to be interested in something but I currently don't feel interested in it."

Confused me is confused.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Information Systems? Have you ever heard the saying, "The more general the course, the less you'll learn"? I'm a software engineer and not trying to be a dick(though oft times I come off that way), but you're at a very high level, looking down, without the benefit of knowing what dwells at the lower levels. An analogy might be, "What interests you about the planet earth?" Specifically, what in "Information systems" are you interested in? My youngest son is INFP, so I somewhat understand your approach. Hit me with the important stuff. What interests you the most?
Haha, oh, I know the course is so broad that it's almost unhelpful. Unfortunately, it's a required course in my curriculum! I'm in a dual degree MBA/MA program, and it's part of my MBA. I guess, that's just the crux of it though. It's so broad that I don't even know where to start with developing my own interest. My experience is very, very surface. I've messed around with GIS for fun once when I heard a lab by me had the software. And I've used a couple IS systems in jobs (just to keep track of data and pull a couple of reports). Never had enough of an interest to really pursue learning more, but I would like to have an interest in my class to get the most learning and satisfaction out of the experience.

I think my interest could be developed most easily through the perspective of thinking about future shaping of certain industries, like healthcare. Questions like, how could IS help the U.S. move from being a system that works very well to optimize revenue and profits to one that is more effective per dollar at optimizing patient safety and quality of care? This example just crystallizes the type of interest I have in utilizing tools to make systems better and more fair, but I don't necessarily want to limit other's input with that. Can offer more if it's helpful for you. My understanding of what falls under the umbrella of IS is so limited that I'm having a problem even articulating my questions, so I thought I would start by hearing other's interests to better grasp the bounds and chat more from there. Fully interested in hearing whatever anyone else is following or working on.

Edit: Oh!! I just remembered. My professor started the class by saying that though IS/IT seems to be changing all the time with lots of developments, the economic principles that govern the IS world are the same. That approach seemed really great to me (Plus, I love microeconomics. Makes a lot of sense to me from a decision-making/behavior stand point.). Does that spark anything for anyone?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Haha, oh, I know the course is so broad that it's almost unhelpful. Unfortunately, it's a required course in my curriculum! I'm in a dual degree MBA/MA program, and it's part of my MBA. I guess, that's just the crux of it though. It's so broad that I don't even know where to start with developing my own interest. My experience is very, very surface. I've messed around with GIS for fun once when I heard a lab by me had the software. And I've used a couple IS systems in jobs. Never had enough of an interest to really pursue learning more, but I would like to have an interest in my class to get the most learning and satisfaction out of the experience.

I think my interest could be developed most easily through the perspective of thinking about future shaping of certain industries, like healthcare. Questions like, how could IS help the U.S. move from being a system that works very well to optimize revenue and profits to one that is more effective per dollar at optimizing patient safety and quality of care? This example just crystallizes the type of interest I have in utilizing tools to make systems better and more fair, but I don't necessarily want to limit other's input with that. Can offer more if it's helpful for you. My understanding of what falls under the umbrella of IS is so limited that I'm having a problem even articulating my questions, so I thought I would start by hearing other's interests to better grasp the bounds and chat more from there. Fully interested in hearing whatever anyone else is following or working on.
I hate to speak for all INTPs, but I'm not sure INTPs are the right group to answer the questions you are asking without more detail. If any other INTPs would like to prove me wrong, by all means step up. Good luck to you in all your endeavors.

·
Registered
INTP
7,070 Posts
Dude, empathy. Look it up on Wikipedia, Evolve as an INTP. :)
???????????? Evolve?

Mate I know what empathy is. Maybe you should evolve and look up 'tact'? :happy:

@ALittleSalt I just think it's really down to you to discover something. Maybe it's just the 'INTP' way. I guess in response to your issue, I'll say that I personally just get balls deep into a subject when it interests me. Wikipedia becomes my holy book and I flit from topic to topic until I have a broad basis to be going from. I won't know the fine details at that stage, but I'll know all about it on the surface. I guess that's how I would advise you to get more 'interested' in your subject.

·
Registered
76 Posts
???????????? Evolve?

Mate I know what empathy is. Maybe you should evolve and look up 'tact'? :happy:
@ALittleSalt I just think it's really down to you to discover something. Maybe it's just the 'INTP' way. I guess in response to your issue, I'll say that I personally just get balls deep into a subject when it interests me. Wikipedia becomes my holy book and I flit from topic to topic until I have a broad basis to be going from. I won't know the fine details at that stage, but I'll know all about it on the surface. I guess that's how I would advise you to get more 'interested' in your subject.
All I'm saying is you don't have to be a dick about it. Step off your high horse "mate". We are all just people, each with our own positives and negatives. Just be civil. Is that really too much to ask?

·
Registered
INTP
7,070 Posts
All I'm saying is you don't have to be a dick about it. Step off your high horse "mate". We are all just people, each with our own positives and negatives. Just be civil. Is that really too much to ask?
Haha no it's not too much at all but I didn't really think you yourself were civil when you told me to 'evolve' and look up the meaning of empathy...!

So I took a shot back. :wink:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm... OK. I appreciate the feedback, @HAL and @GhostCrow. That sounds about right now that I think about it. I should start looking in different places and sopping up stuff to create my own interest framework. Out of curiosity: if I came up with a specific thought experiment, that would be more up your alley?

·
Registered
INTP
7,070 Posts
Out of curiosity: if I came up with a specific thought experiment, that would be more up your alley?
Possibly.

Having said that, the INTP forum lately reached its peak for thought experiments when we started discussing the moral grey areas of necrophilia, bestiality, incest and the likes. I don't know how much deeper we can go, haha.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Haha no it's not too much at all but I didn't really think you yourself were civil when you told me to 'evolve' and look up the meaning of empathy...!

So I took a shot back. :wink:
I can't be accountable for your interpretations of what I said. Take it out on me, if you feel it necessary, but don't take it out on someone asking in earnest for our help.

·
Registered
INTP
7,070 Posts
I can't be accountable for your interpretations of what I said. Take it out on me, if you feel it necessary, but don't take it out on someone asking in earnest for our help.
You told me to learn the meaning of empathy and evolve a little. By doing that, you came across as rather belittling.

I just told the OP what I thought. As far as I can tell, it wasn't taken badly either. It was just my opinion in a discussion, after all. That's what forums are for, methinks?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You told me to learn the meaning of empathy and evolve a little. By doing that, you came across as rather belittling.

I just told the OP what I thought. As far as I can tell, it wasn't taken badly either. It was just my opinion in a discussion, after all. That's what forums are for, methinks?
If you felt my statement was belittling to you yet your comments towards the OP were not? :)

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
I can fight and yell with systems all day long; so as long as they don't throw random emotional tantrums or small talk at me like people do. broken code and misbehaving system issues always have ways around it given all the time for analysis and methodologies. people approaches, not so much... must adapt and think along the fly. there's no undo button for retracting mistakes and words with people. with systems, it's dramatically more lenient.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Misunderstandings abound! It's a nice welcome to experience this concern for a foreign feeler dipping toes in this INTP forum! Don't worry about me though. Got some NTs up the wazoo who I love. Was ready for a firing squad of inquiry and response made from genuine interest along with anything else.

·
Registered
INTP
7,070 Posts
If you felt my statement was belittling to you yet your comments towards the OP were not? :)
No I just wanted to be frank and concise.

I genuinely thought that the OP was asking for help on how to become more interested in something. Which to me sounds a bit silly since personal interest is, well, personal!
@ALittleSalt Sorry if I came across too harsh. I hope you understood my point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No I just wanted to be frank and concise.

I genuinely thought that the OP was asking for help on how to become more interested in something. Which to me sounds a bit silly since personal interest is, well, personal!
@ALittleSalt Sorry if I came across too harsh. I hope you understood my point.
Nice!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.