Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. It's me again.

From what I read here: A lot of INTPs hate parties, people and love books, like classical music, "nerdy" movies like Star Trek, Star Wars and so on.

Comparing myself to them I seem to differ in a lot of things:

-I love to be surrounded by people, but I need my days off. In fact, sometimes I party alone and hang out with strangers for the sake of socializing.

-I hate reading books

-Love hip-hop music on bitches, money and not giving fucks.

-Love the gym and martial arts.

Anyone feel similar? Maybe I ain't even a INTP.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well sometimes it certainly feels like a chore to find a good book. Sometimes I don't bother for weeks at a time, other times I will find a gem and completely invest myself for the next few hours. Can't say that I enjoy going to parties though. I'd much rather spend time with one or two good friends and talk about something. Invariably, I find myself pulling my phone out at parties to quell my boredom.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's not like the two are mutually exclusive ya know? And you don't have to like reading books to be an intp...your preferred style of learning could be visual/spatial and thats fine.

·
Registered
INTP
7,044 Posts
I'm rapidly growing out of that feeling where I 'must' do something each weekend.

Having said that, it's because I'm now studying pretty hard so I don't like wasting time in that way.

I have a strong feeling I'll go back to being a weekend warrior, drinking muchly on Friday and Saturday nights.

Also I used to go to raves, take hard drugs and completely lose my mind quite habitually at one point.

Reading books has never been a pastime of mine. I enjoy learning from books, but I don't just read for the joy of it. If I read more than five books in a whole year, it'll be an achievement.

So yes, I'm one of those INTPs who dislikes books but loves partying. (I don't really 'love' partying though. I just prefer doing things that are more active. Going outside, adventuring, etc. And partying sometimes.)

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Nope. I might use a party or some other social function to just dip back into the humanity pool every now and then but there's no way I'd choose to go to parties over reading on a consistent basis. Though I've never watched Star Trek and I'm meh on Star Wars. And I listen to pop music along with my other music. Stereotypes yeah?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I do like hanging out with people but I need my time alone too. I used to do this thing on weekends a lot where we would make a facebook event page and invite lots of peeps to hang out in cosplay in a park and eat junk food, I think the biggest one was about 60 people? Now that I've moved away from those friends I don't do that anymore, usually just hang out with one person on the weekend, but I'd say that was the closest I got to partying. Books are good too though.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't like parties or reading books. I tend to read stuff from the internet and do some research to find different perspectives on a topic. Books often just give you the one or two perspectives, far too narrow-minded and not enough exploration of possibilities. Unless you read many books on the same topic, but it wastes money and I don't want to get up to visit the library all the time. But there still are some decent authors out there, even thought I haven't came across any yet.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I used to enjoy going out (and getting extremely drunk) and I enjoy some parties as a way to study people, particularly people who I have some interest in knowing about but as I get older the less I like them.

I went out with only 5 people last month, people who I know well and consider to be good friends and I found that mentally draining. I prefer to spend time with people in pairs, except with one friend who is ESTJ, I really like her but she is a bit 'full on' for me and I need another friend there to balance her out, so to speak.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi. It's me again.

From what I read here: A lot of INTPs hate parties, people and love books, like classical music, "nerdy" movies like Star Trek, Star Wars and so on.

Comparing myself to them I seem to differ in a lot of things:

-I love to be surrounded by people, but I need my days off. In fact, sometimes I party alone and hang out with strangers for the sake of socializing.

-I hate reading books

-Love hip-hop music on bitches, money and not giving fucks.

-Love the gym and martial arts.

Anyone feel similar? Maybe I ain't even a INTP.
Not saying any of those things are incompatible with being an INTP but based on this, the vibe I get from you and all of these "Do any INTP [insert random activity]?" threads you constantly open, I believe you are mistyped. You sound like an ES*P. Why do you think you're an INTP?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not saying any of those things are incompatible with being an INTP but based on this, the vibe I get from you and all of these "Do any INTP [insert random activity]?" threads you constantly open, I believe you are mistyped. You sound like an ES*P. Why do you think you're an INTP?
Because I need to be alone too, I can't be exposed to people all the time. I need to disconnect a bit.

Also, I see everything from a logical way. I always ask the whys and the hows and look for past patterns.

If I'm overthinking a lot, I've noticed that physical activity like sex, gym, sports make me feel better.

Also, I don't like to be the center of attention like a ESTP, even though I consider myself very confident.

And I don't know what other insight I can give you, but I think I am a INTP with a 6w5. Do you think otherwise?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Because I need to be alone too, I can't be exposed to people all the time. I need to disconnect a bit.

Also, I see everything from a logical way. I always ask the whys and the hows and look for past patterns.

If I'm overthinking a lot, I've noticed that physical activity like sex, gym, sports make me feel better.

Also, I don't like to be the center of attention like a ESTP, even though I consider myself very confident.

And I don't know what other insight I can give you, but I think I am a INTP with a 6w5. Do you think otherwise?
These are very shallow reasons to type yourself as an INTP. Any type can need their alone times. As for seeing everything from a logical ways, hopefully any type can do that. You see my point. A better way to figure out if you're an INTP or not would be making some introspection and define your prefered cognitive functions. Read this, and see if you can relate. If you don't, read how other types process with their cognitive functions and eventually you'll find out where you belong.

·
Registered
148 Posts

The key thing about intps is that if we think we are overthinking we with think about how we are over thinking, why we are overthinking, and what the benefits/consequences to overthinking are. Oh and on the confidence thing how do you get that?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I like the idea of parties although I haven't been in one for a while because the people where I live are boring snobs so pulling the outgoing mask is pointless and draining

However, I like reading but I am too lazy to focus properly

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The key thing about intps is that if we think we are overthinking we with think about how we are over thinking, why we are overthinking, and what the benefits/consequences to overthinking are. Oh and on the confidence thing how do you get that?
Like @anarchitektur said, there are two ways to earn self-esteem: inner evidence or external evidence.

My inner evidence was fucked up and so was my external evidence. Worked hard on my body, starting to get women, being more myself, being fearless, being assertive, going out alone to party, forcing myself to socialize....etc. It was hard to get to this point. Years and years of ups and down. Now I've pretty much got it all figured out and also my huge body gives me certain advantage over other males in all areas. Sum up that I am a Engineer and speak 4 languages. So it's all win win.

Intelligence came natural to me, but socializing and skills to get laid didn't.

Confidence comes from repeating over and over the same thing. At first you are all anxious, but then it's like something usual because you've done that!

Hope it helps bro.

·
I love my everything
10,949 Posts
I do not like reading (but I like the idea of books). I liked reading when I was younger, but I think textbooks ruined it for me.

I don't like partying much, but I do enjoy most other social activities. I like socializing.

And no to liking mainstream hip hop/rap (like the one you described). Not for me x-P.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The question of course then becomes, "What do you like ABOUT the party?"

To which I would say I like parties for the conversation, if I can manage to wedge my new crazy theory or hobby into the fold. But most people are genuinely terrible conversationalists, you have to find the weirdos in the corners that look like they're having a good time, they usually are.

Small talk makes me gag. My folks always made a point that it was a necessary inflection to maintain relationships by tolerating small talk. I call bullshit. Find the people who have actually had an independent thought in their lifetime.

:perc2:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts