Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if there are any introverted ENTJs - which I suppose would mean ENTJs who have a much more developed Ni than Te, but still gain energy and excitement from social situations. What has your experience been in the world?

The reason I ask this is because I've been doing research recently to confirm I am an INTJ, and the only option I have yet to eliminate is ENTJ. I notice when talking something I'm passionate or interested about, I do gain a lot of energy, and sometimes others get drained by this. I also notice that though I don't like social conventions (small talk), I am more competent socially than most INTJs I know or have seen. The issue is that I'm not sure if these characteristics are part of my type or simply habits I've formed over the years in order to do well in the world. Indeed I do prefer the company of myself than with others, but perhaps this is because I've had negative experiences relating to others through my childhood and have learned to cope in such a way.

E: One more thing: I notice myself enjoying certain intellectual matters (Math, some ethical theory, etc.), but when there is a discussion that is too philosophical and I realize it has no actual practical application, I lose interest. Is this not an ENTJ thing?

Feel free to ask any questions if you'd like to help type me, but otherwise I have one more question of my own: Have you observed any INTJ/ENTJ mistypings personally?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
How clean is your room?

Reactions: bionic

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clean and minimalist. I found it helps me keep a clear mind. If I'm feeling depressed and uninspired it gets dirty for a week or so.

E: Also I'm 19, so I know there's some ambiguity in typing.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
That's ENTJ.

INTJs have messy, but organised (meaning there is a system), rooms. They crave order because they live in relative disorder.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Do you care about literature? Do you often bring it up in conversation? Do you enjoy reading books over news articles?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never liked books because I felt they were a waste of time as a kid, and I didn't like having to invest 4+ hours into something I might not end up enjoying. I don't read incredibly quickly. Now I'm realizing how important reading is and have installed it as a habit in my life. I don't bring up literature in conversations because I haven't read very many books and never seem to find someone else who likes what I like (Catch-22, GTD, The Prophet, etc.). Not sure about books vs. news articles. I'm pretty apathetic about the news and politics, but that's more a personal opinion than anything.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Do you learn for practical reasons or do your learn for fun?

Reactions: -Halo-

·
Registered
290 Posts
I disagree completely. You can be any type and have a messy room, and I fail to see how you can gleem information about his personality simply because his room is arbitrary more orderly than an INTJ room supposedly is. My room isn't super clean, it has a lot of shit in it, but that doesn't mean I'm not an ENTJ. It just means I have a slightly messy room. I like to clean stuff and organize, which is why I am ENTJ, not because of the status of my room. Please correct me if I misconstrued your point.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You misunderstood my point. I was referring to general INTJ behavior, not ENTJ behavior.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you learn for practical reasons or do your learn for fun?
Both. But practicality drives most of what I do. I try to make sure that the fun things I do are also practical. Again, I feel this can be completely different for different people based on what has happened in their life. Anyway, I'd say it's a (edited here:)60-40 split. Most of my interests are based on things I know will probably be useful in life, but I still am interesting in some non-useful things.

Regarding the room, I am very future-oriented and dislike dwelling on the past (I have nothing around my room that is memorable or anything, all that stuff is in a box). Perhaps that's insightful.

E: As a kid I remember I liked to mess with people and say odd things just to gauge their reaction. I still find it interesting today to see how people react to stuff I do, but mostly with closer friends and in more socially acceptable ways. Could just be a way to gather data for intuitive processing, though.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
edit: bad link

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
the most consistent indicator I've seen is if, when you're tired, at your wit's end, etc is do you want to be alone or do you seek other people?

otherwise, we're pretty similar in many aspects.

one other thing, intjs I know get upset rarely, but when they do, they don't often voice their discontent. usually, everyone seems to know how an ENTJ feels.
pi had a messy room at your age.

Reactions: BooMonster

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
This didn't come up with anything.

Then hit "advanced search" at the top of the page and type"ENTJ INTJ" - search titles only

There's pages of threads like this.

·
MOTM May 2014
7,026 Posts
That INTJs aren't socially competent is just a myth. I work at a company with many other INTJs, and the level of social competence and the level of introvertness vary greatly and it's not a linear correlation (or any other type of correlation). People who don't know me well get surprised when they find out that I am introvert.

The order of my home is really important to me. The more stressful my life is, the more emphasis I put on organize my surrounding. I guess that it's a control thing, but since it is not impacting my life negatively, I don't worry about it. My husband is also an INTJ (with a really high introvert level) and he is the other way around - the messiest person I know. (The main cause of disagreements between us). If I had to look for my keys as often as he does, I'd kill myself or go insane!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the most consistent indicator I've seen is if, when you're tired, at your wit's end, etc is do you want to be alone or do you seek other people?
one other thing, intjs I know get upset rarely, but when they do, they don't often voice their discontent. usually, everyone seems to know how an ENTJ feels.
Well, the only thing that brings me to my wit's end is frustrating interactions with other people / bureaucracies. I find it helpful to complain to a friend for a second, but I don't actively seek it and want to be alone and away from the situation.

I've been the president of some high school clubs and I have a certain drive to want to get stuff done, but I find I have trouble inspiring people (though I have had speech problems in the past) and ultimately give up in these types of endeavors. When I'm upset I withdraw, but not necessarily because it makes me feel good but because I've noticed that showing frustration/anger/sadness towards others doesn't tend to help the situation.

Then hit "advanced search" at the top of the page and type"ENTJ INTJ" - search titles only

There's pages of threads like this.
I've done a couple hours of research on INTJs vs ENTJs myself, including what you just said, but I feel I am a unique enough case that personalized advice would be more useful. I could see myself as both, though I'm leaning more towards INTJ.

Edit: By the way, I've seen a lot of conflicting advice, and many of the examples given for both types I can relate to.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
(important enough to merit a double post)

I answered quite a bit about myself in a thread I made before when trying to rule out the possibility of being an ISTJ. Feel free to look here if you would like more info on me : http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/157600-another-intj-vs-istj-thread.html

Bit of potentially useful info: I don't know if I'm a reluctant leader or a natural leader. If I see a situation where I'm well qualified and things aren't going as well as they could (and I care about the situation), I will step in and take charge. I don't actively seek leadership unless it's something I care about and can actually manage to inspire/lead people.

A final comment: I find it hard to answer some questions about my general behaviors and preferences because I find that I often have to do things that don't come naturally to be successful in the world. For example, I have gotten good at small talk and forming preliminary friendships with people even though I don't enjoy it at all.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I'm an ENTJ/LIE-Ni in socionics. It's the more "introverted" subtype. I could literally not talk to people for months if I wanted to.

We seem to have a lot of mistyped ENTJs around here who are actually INTJ. Which is confusing to me since INTJs & ENTJs are COMPLETELY different.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'm an ENTJ/LIE-Ni in socionics. It's the more "introverted" subtype. I could literally not talk to people for months if I wanted to.

We seem to have a lot of mistyped ENTJs around here who are actually INTJ. Which is confusing to me since INTJs & ENTJs are COMPLETELY different.
OK, @bionic, lay it on me-how are they completely different? (very excited to find out your thoughts)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts