Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the time, I'm proud to call myself an introvert. I have my hobbies and my likes and dislikes and I love solo activities. There's nothing wring with not being a party animal or social butterfly. However there are certain times when I realise my tendency to stay within myself has negative effects. Tonight I went to a formal and event and I hugely enjoyed getting all dressed up and looking good, loved the food bit and the music....but I realised I don't really connect with anyone and circulate very much to the point where at times I just felt like I didn't belong. I've never felt like this before and it's made me realise that whilst there's nothing wrong with being an introvert, I can't isolate myself. I always related to a quote I saw that said 'alone but not lonely' but tonight I did actually feel kinda lonely. Any introverts every experience this?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
My whole life. I always feel like I don't belong anywhere.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Sometimes I'm able to fit and join the crowd when I'm in a really happy mood. While I wouldn't consider myself a super party animal I honestly enjoy the spotlight sometimes. However there are sometimes where I don't fit in and I just stop joining and just watch and observe. I really hate when that happens but I have no choice if I instinctively know I'm going to be awkward.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
I'm going to be honest. Yes, I do feel isolated sometimes, but I think I isolate myself, even though I may think I would like to join the crowd. If I analyze the reasons why I haven't really made many friends, I realize that it's not because people don't like me or whatever. It's because I don't start conversations with them, when they talk and I am not interested, I zone them out and talk to someone else that I actually like 1 on 1 (or in a small group), and I sometimes just reject social norms and find a distaste in my mouth for certain things that are social norms but I myself feel is "fake". So in short, yeah I isolate myself. It doesn't feel good sometimes, but I think there might be a good reason from a personal values perspective. However, on the flip side, if you want to feel included and like you belong, sometimes you need to open your mind to other peoples' perspectives and be welcoming of differences. Really depends on what is more important to you.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nah, I give 0 shits about being alone, most of the time I only notice I'm "secluded" from others after someone tells me something along the lines of: "hey, what are you doing alone over there? Join us!"

I don't miss interacting with random normies at all, you shouldn't either. Events like the one you mentioned are only worth it if you have some company, maybe a boyfriend/girlfriend or a close friend you usually hang out with.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Most of the time I don't mind spending a lot of time alone. I don't even think about the fact that I'm alone, it just feels very normal and comfortable. But there have been some seasons where I've felt really isolated. The strange thing is, they were usually when I was surrounded by a lot of other people. For example, I interned at my church for a year and I felt so isolated for those months, I think because there were so many people going through the same thing I was and yet I didn't really feel close to any of them, which I guess I had expected to.

It's like seeing people belong so easily with each other is what reminds me how it's often more difficult for me, and takes a lot more time. But in seasons where I'm not around that, I don't really ever feel isolated. I guess it's the inevitable comparison that gets to me.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I don't think I've ever really considered myself isolated. I have no interest in connecting with strangers and never feel as though I am missing out when surrounded by them, yet on my own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts