Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I remember reading some posts in a thread around here about dreams, and it got me researching dreams on the net, and then I discovered lucid dreaming, and it sounded like fun, so I started keeping a dream diary three days ago, and this morning I had my first lucid dream. It was fantastic! I think I was only lucid for about 10 seconds in the dream, but it was enough to realize that I could fly and do whatever I wanted (create a column of fire and pass through it w/o getting burnt, etc). And it was a total rush upon waking up that I actually remembered so many details of the dream!

So, anyone else into this stuff? : D

·
Registered
197 Posts
I get them sometimes, when something in the dream triggers me to be aware of it, and I can influence its direction. I find also I only remember a dream if I awake during it, and upon waking it is very quickly deleted from my memory.

·
Registered
17,697 Posts
Usually my dreams are lucid. I had one just last night .. where I managed to control my own actions as well as "bend" the world around me.

I can exercise a certain amount of conscious thought control in a dream. But I suppose it depends on how I'm feeling during the dream itself. If it's a dream about adventure, then I can control my actions to a degree. Like I can "make things happen" but I can't control the outcome or "what comes next".

If it's a nightmare, I can control it to a point that I know exactly at which point I should wake myself up.

My dream memory is very strong where I have a collection of at least 5-10 dreams that I remember as clearly as though they were real life experiences.

I also get episodal dreams where if the dream doesn't end one night before I wake up, I'll have it again the next night and the next night till the events in the dream come to a natural conclusion. Some dreams have stayed with me since childhood which I have over and over again.

If it's a dream about lost loved ones or people who've hurt me then that's a dream I can't control at all. I usually end up becoming confrontation in those dreams and I find myself venting my unresolved feelings at the people in those dreams as though they were real. I usually wake up in a pretty bad state afterwards and the feeling lingers for a day or so.

I dunno if that's Lucid dreaming ... but whatever it is ... my dreams are vivid, full of life and colour, extremely detailed and a way for me to experience worlds that I never knew existed :) It's an extension of my unused Se in sub-conscious reality.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've had a decent bunch of Lucid dreams. Including one where I woke myself up. I flew too high, it was before I could control that.
You see... I'm afraid of heights. Not a good combination, I think you can all agree.
My rule of thumb these days is "Do gravity work as normal?"
If yes, then I'm awake.
If no, then I'm dreaming.

I've tried creating things when lucid dreaming, but I've never succeeded. Making things burn for one thing, never worked.
Have managed to walk through a wall once, otherwise that destabilize the dreamworld to the point of me waking up.
I've managed to teach myself (don't ask me how, trial and error) the trick to not try and affect it too much, because that activates too much of my brain and I will wake up.

All in all, Lucid Dreaming is an interesting and fascinating state of mind.

·
Registered
402 Posts
When I would eat 6 eggs/days everydays (I did so for over about a year) I would also had an impressive memory. I would remember my dreams every mornings and would frequently have long lucid dreams.

I would have lucid dreams before eating that much eggs as well, but much less frequently.

When I stopped eating that much eggs, my memory gradually went like average over two weeks and I stopped having lucid dreams that frequently.

When I realised that eggs contributed to memory that much, I told that to my mom. She told me chicken was reputed for raising one's memory.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've only had it happen a handful of times.
I usually remember my dreams well. I used to keep a dream journal.
But my dreams tend to be the opposite of lucid. They feel very real and intense; I'm totally unaware that I'm dreaming.
I like studying different sleep states. I often start dreaming before I am actually asleep. I close my eyes and see images or the plot line of a dream starts running through my head before I can see it and I am still half awake.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think there's two kinds of lucid dreams - for me at least. There are those that happen when I'm not fully asleep, and the dreams are of things I'm thinking about, pondering, stressing over, etc, and I can change anything I like in these dreams. I find it a little frustrating the way they are so fluid actually, I like my dreams to be like a good story.

Then there is the other kind, where I'm pretty sure I'm properly asleep, and I can control myself in the dream but I have very little control over everything else in the dream. Those dreams are more of intense feelings and such, any visual representation of the dreams is more a response to the emotions - the focus of the dreams is more on the emotions and feelings and the visuals are a byproduct. Those are the ones that end up having some connection to reality in some way, often many years after I've had the dream.

·
Banned
956 Posts
I remember getting into lucid dreams for the first time and then trying it for the first time but I tried so hard that I would semi-wake up during my sleep and feel my face all scrunched up with concentration. >=p heh.

I have had about 3 lucid dreams in total, though all of them were quite short.. and each was influenced by external things I think. the last one I had, I kept having false wake-ups so I kept waking up in the same place like 3-4 times and going about my day until something strange strikes my attention. That one was interesting. And I couldn't ever control my surroundings either, just myself.

·
Registered
397 Posts
When I would eat 6 eggs/days everydays (I did so for over about a year) I would also had an impressive memory. I would remember my dreams every mornings and would frequently have long lucid dreams.

I would have lucid dreams before eating that much eggs as well, but much less frequently.

When I stopped eating that much eggs, my memory gradually went like average over two weeks and I stopped having lucid dreams that frequently.

When I realised that eggs contributed to memory that much, I told that to my mom. She told me chicken was reputed for raising one's memory.
Say what.

I've only had a lucid dream once. I was biking on a really smooth bike path. That made me happy. :)

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Not an infj but I have something to contribute.

I have experienced many lucid dreams. At one point in my life I had perfected it. I'm not sure why I really can't do it anymore, but I can tell you about when I could.

I started by researching methods on it, online. I found all sorts of suggestions like try to sleep when you aren't sleepy.. sleep when caffeinated, sleep with the lights on, sleep with your head on a hard surface.

I tried all of these things, and for me, sleeping during the day when caffeinated really worked well. (I was in college at the time and on lots of caffeine anyway.)

Prior to this, I had gotten to the point in my dreams where I knew I was dreaming. I would usually just wake up after that realization. All I can say here is practice makes perfect. I put myself in a mode where it was easier to hover between the conscious and unconscious state, and now it would just take tons of trial and error until I got it right.

It went from being able to know I was dreaming, to stay in the dream and explore. I could (and still can) wake myself if things get too hairy. My tactic for this, is to become aware of my shoulder as I am dreaming, and jerk it with all my might.. making it feel like someone is shaking me awake.

I developed more and more control in my dreams the more I practiced. I can't name the parts of my brain/how they were used.. it was just an awareness that came with practice.

I began to realize that I had control over things in my dreams. I could change the scenario (I can still do this a bit) by affecting things around me.. ex: flying away, moving huge bricks between me, and an attacker.. or anything else I imagined.

I once actually reached a point where I was godlike in my dreams. I could start out with a completely blank slate, and design the scenery, the happenings.. the only thing that I could never get exactly right were peoples faces. Those came out a bit distorted.. sometimes in a terrifying way.

I have a tip for flying in lucid dreams. This allowed me to master it, and stay afloat rather than start to lose altitude or end up somewhere else. To go higher, you imagine the things that you see below you looking smaller (and in reverse, to go lower imagine them closer). To reach a destination, focus on what it looks like, and closer.. closer.. (but don't forget to go between checking your altitude, as you picture your destination - because you want to stay up). I have had the most beautiful dreams of flight.

For a long time, I also had a 'safe' place that I could retreat to, when my dreams got too terrifying or out of control. It looks very much like the icon I use for some posts here (and its why I saved the photo when I found it). Its a long beach with very orange, heavy sand. The waves don't rush up onto the shore, but gently slide on, and off the shore without creating a wake. There are very tall, smooth rocks spread down the shore.. not as defined as an obelisk, but somewhat ornate. There is nothing behind me, and nothing ahead of me but these rocks. Different colors.. different shapes, as tall as me. I walk down this peaceful beach and run my hands over them. Calm. There is a gentle breeze. The sky is mostly clear, with a few clouds strewn about.. cumulus. Non-threatening.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Sometimes, but they always seem to end abruptly just as they're getting good. My subconscious is like "Stop it! I'm trying to tell you something!" and I tend to wake up.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My dreams usually end lucid, which is annoying. Alot of the time I'm not quite conscious enough to realise I'm dreaming, and when I try to control my actions I usually go in circles. Not literally walk in circles obviously, but I just do alot of the same thing over and over, like I'm stuck in that part of the dream. When I realise I'm dreaming, it's only a few seconds before I wake up and I can't hold onto the dream anymore :(

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
My INFP brother tried different techniques in order to cause himself to lucid dream (he hasn't succeeded). I never understood why. I'd rather not know I am dreaming and have dreams that feel like reality (unless they're nightmares). Just makes it more interesting to me like a movie hehe. I think it's cool though how some people can do all this intricate creation in their dreams.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My lucidity doesn't include changing the world (i.e. Inception abilities), but it does include being in control of myself. Its like, based on the world that my mind has absorbed, it has created a whole other place for me to go and steel myself against the world.

I've ... died in my dreams a few times. That's the only time I've gone back with a rewind button and done things differently, but usually it breaks the continuity of the whole thing and I start waking up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been pretty obsessed with lucid dreaming for a while now and I recently had my first semi-lucid dream (it was very short, but very vivid). Just the thought of having a world where you can literally do anything you can imagine sounds extremely appealing to me. You can literally experience your personal fantasy world as if it were waking life, while having full control of it at the same time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts