Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been much for math. There have been times when I'd enjoy some part of algebra or geometry because I actually understood it, and thus the equations were just little puzzles to figure out, but most often it seemed as though my daydreaming tendencies caused me to hate math class, for I would so often miss important bits of information that thus rendered me mathematically useless. I think I also have a pretty lousy work ethic. Once I had to really force my way through a geometry class to get credits for my senior standing (back in high school), so I buckled down and got a B in a summer class for a semester of geometry that I had not yet taken. That made me feel pretty good. But ordinarily, I am more interested in figuring out more "philosophical" or psychology related things. I understand the use of math in understanding our world, and for that reason I wish I was more mathematically inclined, but generally I am quite happy to not have to do any math.

Any other INTPs who are not so interested in mathematics?

I am one of those language/psychology/philosophy INTPs--the liberal arts college INTP. :p

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I always found math extremely boring. I, too, was more into the humanities. I was a History and English major- both completely worthless majors. I sort of wish I took more science oriented classes.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I was always a math fiend (I was in math olympics from 7th-11th grade), and when I was younger, I wanted to be an accountant. Now I'm in calculus, and all math related dreams have gone up in flames, but math is still one of my favorite things. Philosophy and psychology were/are up in my favorites next to math.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Math results up and down like a mutha fuckin yoyo. I’m somewhere inbetween.

Not rigourous enough for math, not give-a-crap-about-information-presented-in-extensional-form enough for anything pertaining to the humanities.

Juuuuusst right for not-give-a-shit-about-anything.

Fucken no man’s land everywhere.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've never been that good at it or had much of an interest in math at all. I don't even really know why that is. Maybe its because I never saw the practical application of most of the math I was learning. In high school I always found myself saying "When am I gonna use this?" I guess I'm just unable to really engage my mind into it.

Reactions: baba yaga

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
Like everyone's basically been saying, not all INTPs are good at math or really care to delve into math. I care about statistical math and that's really about it. Note: I enjoyed calculus but I don't remember a damned bit of it.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I'm similer to you OP. When the math 'clicks' it is fun until I grow bored of whatever system it was I learned and it entertained me. Once I have tested it and played with it to my heart's content, I am ready to move on. But highschool math does not give enough explanation to let your Ne run wild. Hopefully when I take Calculus (which my friend says I will love), the amount of thinking will keep me busy and entertained. Currently, I hate trig with a passion. Too many steps, too tedious, and only to solve for all the angles in a triangle if you are only given sides when I could IRL just measure two of the angles.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
Math results up and down like a mutha fuckin yoyo. I’m somewhere inbetween.

Not rigourous enough for math, not give-a-crap-about-information-presented-in-extensional-form enough for anything pertaining to the humanities.

Juuuuusst right for not-give-a-shit-about-anything.

Fucken no man’s land everywhere.
That puts us squarely in the "computers" camp.

·
Registered
657 Posts
In high school, I absolutely hated it. I dropped it as soon as the curriculum allowed me to.
I think my problem with it in high school had a lot to do with the way it was taught. It seemed like all we ever did was learn some step-by-step procedure, then get a set of 20 problems for homework so we could have drudgery at home as well as in class. Ugh.
Another frustration was that they didn't check whether you'd learnt things properly or not. You could pass the exams by memorising things, but maths doesn't work like that. You won't properly understand a concept if you never understood the smaller concepts that it's built on.
I'm currently studying linear algebra and calculus at university, and I regret not having the background from high school (it's making calculus an absolute bitch). However, the bigger problem is my lazy-ass INTP approach to study. Studying maths is a skill in itself.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Reactions: nadjasix

·
Registered
190 Posts
Count me in the group of Math haters that can be really good when I take the time to learn it but otherwise I just don't like numbers.

It does come in handy from time to time at work but mostly I don't care. I seem to get really into history but only when I'm interested in something. And even then I can remember the fact that things happened, I can remember around what time it happened, but I'm not good at remembering exact dates. With history I tend to always think about what life would have been like back then for the average person.

·
Registered
815 Posts
But highschool math does not give enough explanation to let your Ne run wild.
Agreed. Driving teachers nuts having them explain the intricacies of concepts has always been one of my hobbies. Math is too much "do this, and you get that," and not enough "doing this causes this to happen because...".

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
Agreed. Driving teachers nuts having them explain the intricacies of concepts has always been one of my hobbies. Math is too much "do this, and you get that," and not enough "doing this causes this to happen because...".
If they taught math conceptually from grade school, there'd be a lot more math majors in the world. It's really interesting once you get to the higher order abstraction, which is cool because it does actually apply to stuff...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts