Votes: 22 12.0%
  • I'm a Maths retard

Votes: 27 14.7%
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really curious about that because of my really high introverted thinking (Ti) which can categorise me into an INTP. I still have confusion about that because I can be very critical and judamental when it comes to big decisions.

After reading the posts, I wonder what make people stronger in algebra than geometry or the other way round? I like maths too and best at calculus!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm absolutely terrible at math that isn't geometry. I think my Ne helps me there.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I am great at geometry and horrible at algebra.

When I was in elementary school, I was put in the advanced math classes. However, once I hit puberty, math suddenly became harder for me and I ended up taking the same math class many times in a row. This set me back and so in college, I got by with the most basic math requirements they offered, which was college algebra. Never took calculus. Never want to.

·
Registered
196 Posts
im supposed to be doing some calculus at the moment :p
im horrible in math,but i've seen that i can get a decent score on tests if i work hard enough.
it is weird, because i don't seem to have any problem with numericals in physics. and yet the ones in chemistry bring the sh*t out of me.

can anyone explain this??

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've always loved math and been really good at it. Though I voted "Very Good" here because I tend to forget geometry a lot; I have to keep revisiting formulas, properties and stuff (especially with those dang triangles!). Algebra is my specialty ;)

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm pretty good at maths... but it's not what I like the most. I've always liked physics better, and been better at it due to that. Never worked much, been a mess!

Anyway, I decided that I dont want to do math related stuff once I get out of high school... it's interesting and sometimes 'fun' but I've never felt that comfortable with it. I gues we INFP can get pretty good at it (with the Ne) but it's not really our bigger strenght... logical thinking I mean.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I don't particularly like math, but I'm good at it. Algebra is a breeze for me, just have to follow order of operations. It's the problems that ask you to follow this formula then that formula, so on so forth that I can't fully grasp.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Yes, very good at algebra and trigs (scored at the top of my class always - but I cannot say excellent because I was not surrounded by math majors); I am not fond of boring arithmetic, but I could do it. Calculus is interesting as well. At least I am good in something. I wish I am good in languages, oral expression, and writing because this society emphasizes those skills not maths.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes, very good at algebra and trigs (scored at the top of my class always - but I cannot say excellent because I was not surrounded by math majors); I am not fond of boring arithmetic, but I could do it. Calculus is interesting as well. At least I am good in something. I wish I am good in languages, oral expression, and writing because this society emphasizes those skills not maths.
There's a certain beauty that math achieves that language alone cannot. Iambic pentameter and haiku come to the forefront of my mind. Music as well is steeped in math, one reason why some programmers are so skilled in creating musical pieces. Then there are the times in history when various civilizations would worship the stars, chart the movements, and come up with fantastical stories of the cosmos, creation, and death. If you've got a talent for math, revel in it ;).

On topic for the OP: I'm not very good at math, pre-calculus level and trig is the apex of my understanding. Even then I have to brush up on it, or I lose the understanding. Bleh. Geometry was my strong point, and I'd like to take a statistics course sometime. Understanding how to interpret trends would be a tremendous help with some of my reading that I do.

·
Registered
ISFP (ESI-Se)
735 Posts
I'm really good at geometry and visual math. If it makes sense I'll understand it.. but more abstract math like linear algebra and calculus... I fail at unless I put in lots of effort.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love love love love math -- I'm great at Geometry and pretty decent in Algebra, took Business Calculus and that was fun. I would think the INFP wouldn't be so good at things like Algebra and Calculus, but the logic in math is something I've really come to enjoy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Math was one of my best subjects in high school because it was formulaic and therefore easy to puke out the correct answers on tests. Calculus and trigonometry were pretty tough for me though.

But I always liked English and history a lot more. The only thing I could see myself doing with math is programming video games (which is still something I would really like to do someday!)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I really curious about that because of my really high introverted thinking (Ti) which can categorise me into an INTP. I still have confusion about that because I can be very critical and judamental when it comes to big decisions.
I am critical and 100% logical ... that typed me first with INTP until after sometime i find INFP explains a lot of points in my behavior …
but not all INFP descriptions fits me .. may be something in between ...

and yes Excellent in math ..

·
Registered
46 Posts
For my college personal statement, I wrote about how I intended to major in mathematics. I was a pure math major for a while before switching out to physical/biological sciences. I enjoy the subject and see beauty in the logic of math. Still, I voted average on the poll because I know there are tons of people who are MUCH better than I am.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I was excellent at mathematics when I was younger and won several awards, one of them for a regional competition. I cannot emphasise enough how much I thoroughly hate math though, haha. I hate working with numbers in general. They seem dry and boring. The polar opposite of numbers for me is words -- I can't get enough of pretty much anything to do with language.

My math skills have suffered since I've been out of school. I just have no interest whatsoever and don't use it in my day-to-day life for much of anything besides financial matters. I'd say they're just good... sometimes leaning more towards average. My brain is like a sieve now when it comes to remembering all but the things I'm most passionate about.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I excelled at math in high school, but hit hard on a ceiling with university-level algebra and calculus. I had a lot of trouble understanding and applying the concepts and theorems, it all just seemed like arcane wizardry to me. I'm fine with linear algebra, geometry and trigonometry though, and quaternions still elude me somewhat.

Reactions: FIREICE
1 - 20 of 120 Posts