Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP 7w8
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sometimes seems like a lot of stereotypes about ENTPs are about how they can be maybe cynical and sarcastic and edgy or whatever. But, I cannot relate to many stereotypes I see at all. However, I am very much an ENTP. I base every single one of my actions of of my personal logic Ti framework. I never act on emotion. Yet, very often I could easily be mistaken as an ENFP by others. Because, outwardly, I may seem to be an ENFP. I’m super positive, optimistic, joyful, and agreeable. (Although I have always loved friendly debates and been attracted to sites like debate.org)

About the debating though, I am extremely non-confrontational and agreeable so I have been avoiding ever debating more controversial subjects these past few years.

Anyways, sometimes I feel like a wolf in sheep’s clothing because on the inside I really am a cold, hard, logic driven person. But, I make the logical choice to be more like an ENFP because it’s a more joyful life hahaha.

Can any of you relate or am I the only “tame” ENTP?

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,889 Posts
It sometimes seems like a lot of stereotypes about ENTPs are about how they can be maybe cynical and sarcastic and edgy or whatever. But, I cannot relate to many stereotypes I see at all. However, I am very much an ENTP. I base every single one of my actions of of my personal logic Ti framework. I never act on emotion. Yet, very often I could easily be mistaken as an ENFP by others. Because, outwardly, I may seem to be an ENFP. I’m super positive, optimistic, joyful, and agreeable. (Although I have always loved friendly debates and been attracted to sites like debate.org)

About the debating though, I am extremely non-confrontational and agreeable so I have been avoiding ever debating more controversial subjects these past few years.

Anyways, sometimes I feel like a wolf in sheep’s clothing because on the inside I really am a cold, hard, logic driven person. But, I make the logical choice to be more like an ENFP because it’s a more joyful life hahaha.

ENTPs tend to be socially ambiverted, but generally have little or no fear of conflict or confrontation.

If you're using Ti as a dominant function then you're probably not an ENTP, you're probably an INTP/ISTP.

https://mbti-notes.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F120611652457
Ne is the dominant function of ENTPs and ENFPs.

https://mbti-notes.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F120104389987

·
Registered
ENTP 7w8
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ENTPs tend to be socially ambiverted, but generally have little or no fear of conflict or confrontation.

If you're using Ti as a dominant function then you're probably not an ENTP, you're probably an INTP/ISTP.

https://mbti-notes.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F120611652457
Ne is the dominant function of ENTPs and ENFPs.

https://mbti-notes.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F120104389987
That's a thoughtful perspective. And you provided a fantastic resource! Really, thanks for sharing that. I loved reading it.
Anyway, I do indeed use a lot of Ti... however... my use of Ne far overshadows Ti. Like by a lot. Let me explain.
  • "tend to have difficulty describing their thought process in words (because it is more experiential than strictly analytical, with ideas always being a work in progress)"
This was stated as one of the downsides Ti dominants face. But, the thing is... I use Ti. I don't live and breathe Ti. So, I can explain my thought process. Because I consciously use Ti. I'm not unconsciously driven by it. But, on the other hand, I live, breathe, love, and die for Ne. Ne is my brain. It would be absurd for me to every think I'm not and Ne dominant in every single way. I experience Ne so intensely that I could never escape it even if I wanted to. But I can turn Ti off. Because it's just like a tool I use. I can set it down.

On another note, I'd be a super bizarre INTP because I am by no means introverted. I mean, I'm not necessarily social but I require a massive amount of external stimulation. For example, during the quarantine I had to stay alone in the house a few days at one point... and every drop of energy and life fled my body after a day. I couldn't even get out of bed I was so drained from being alone. So... that would be quite a strange quality for an INTP to have.

Also, about my non-confrontational quality... I don't fear confrontation. I actually do enjoy it. But I like being liked by the people I like even more. (But my nemesis in high school... I enjoyed confrontation with him)

And I would explain my lack of stereotypical ENTP cynicism and edginess (assuming this is even true?) as the result of my super usual upbringing and major influence from all the ENFPs in my life. I mean, I know I could have it in me if I wanted too hahahah but I don't want to

Final note: I am extremely ENTP. Just a non-stereotypical one. I think of myself as more similar to ENTPs from history like Leonardo DaVinci for example

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,889 Posts
That's a thoughtful perspective. And you provided a fantastic resource! Really, thanks for sharing that. I loved reading it.
Anyway, I do indeed use a lot of Ti... however... my use of Ne far overshadows Ti. Like by a lot. Let me explain.
  • "tend to have difficulty describing their thought process in words (because it is more experiential than strictly analytical, with ideas always being a work in progress)"
This was stated as one of the downsides Ti dominants face. But, the thing is... I use Ti. I don't live and breathe Ti. So, I can explain my thought process. Because I consciously use Ti. I'm not unconsciously driven by it. But, on the other hand, I live, breathe, love, and die for Ne. Ne is my brain. It would be absurd for me to every think I'm not and Ne dominant in every single way. I experience Ne so intensely that I could never escape it even if I wanted to. But I can turn Ti off. Because it's just like a tool I use. I can set it down.

On another note, I'd be a super bizarre INTP because I am by no means introverted. I mean, I'm not necessarily social but I require a massive amount of external stimulation. For example, during the quarantine I had to stay alone in the house a few days at one point... and every drop of energy and life fled my body after a day. I couldn't even get out of bed I was so drained from being alone. So... that would be quite a strange quality for an INTP to have.

Also, about my non-confrontational quality... I don't fear confrontation. I actually do enjoy it. But I like being liked by the people I like even more. (But my nemesis in high school... I enjoyed confrontation with him)

And I would explain my lack of stereotypical ENTP cynicism and edginess (assuming this is even true?) as the result of my super usual upbringing and major influence from all the ENFPs in my life. I mean, I know I could have it in me if I wanted too hahahah but I don't want to

Final note: I am extremely ENTP. Just a non-stereotypical one. I think of myself as more similar to ENTPs from history like Leonardo DaVinci for example
You should read your OP again. You made it seem like you were Ti dom, not Ne dom. ENTPs and ENFPs are both rather socially "ambiverted" We do need to be around people (and I'm no exception) but we can make it on our own for a spell. We don't actually have to interact with people, we just need to be around others, however, I don't know about you, but large conventions overwhelm me. I can go for a few hours but after that, I need to be someplace less crowded. Too much stimulation is every bit as bad as too little. I can go days without people and I am okay with it, but sooner or later, I start to crave being around others. This lockdown has me spun about because my company has me working from home, so I'm really deprived of human company. I would have spent my birthday alone, if my sister and her hubby hadn't driven 6.5 hours to spend it with me so I wasn't alone. I'm not cynical or edgy. I prefer to be witty, satirical, and charming.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Based on visual typology there are actually a lot 'hippy like' agreeable ENTPs about. Fe can manifest as either controlling the social environment or adapting/blending in. As long as your a Ne doms and employ Ti/Fe judgement your ENTP.

·
Registered
ENTP 7w8
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should read your OP again. You made it seem like you were Ti dom, not Ne dom. ENTPs and ENFPs are both rather socially "ambiverted" We do need to be around people (and I'm no exception) but we can make it on our own for a spell. We don't actually have to interact with people, we just need to be around others...

...I’m not cynical or edgy. I prefer to be witty, satirical, and charming.
True I really did sound like a Ti-dom but I think I intentionally made a point to emphasize my Ti so as to explain that I’m not an ENFP. Because, it could be easy to confuse me as an ENFP.

Also, I relate so much with “don’t actually have to interact with others” and “just need to be around people.”
That describes me perfectly. I actually always avoid socializing with people I don’t know but I still like to be around people I don’t know.

And witty, satirical, and charming are definitely other—more positive—ENTP stereotypes that I can relate with more for sure.

·
Registered
ENTP 7w8
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on visual typology there are actually a lot 'hippy like' agreeable ENTPs about. Fe can manifest as either controlling the social environment or adapting/blending in. As long as your a Ne doms and employ Ti/Fe judgement your ENTP.
Hahahahahah I am probably more of a ‘hippy like’ agreeable ENTP. Also that definitely makes sense. I mean, ENTPs do technically have Fe after all

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Stereotypes about ENTP are enforced by those who usually write the most about personal development and are without surprise the least able to reason and think critically about it. And what is more alien to them than the most capable personality of all... The very distorted image of what ENTP is supposed to be starts with a distorted image of extraversion which has to fit their irrepressible disbelief in the non interoceptive nature of reality. So most people here aren't ENTP anyways since the MBTI is part of the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts