Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like less tech. No smartphones, no data mining, no city-wide WiFi, no websites so full of scripts that you need 50 GB of RAM just to load them. And I would like airplanes and every weapon developed from guns onwards to cease to exist.

And no more automated voice-recognition systems used for customer service. All they do is help obliterate jobs and irritate customers.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I would just like less tech. No smartphones, no data mining, no city-wide WiFi, no websites so full of scripts that you need 50 GB of RAM just to load them. And I would like airplanes and every weapon developed from guns onwards to cease to exist.

And no more automated voice-recognition systems used for customer service. All they do is help obliterate jobs and irritate customers.
You can still buy a dumb phone or go without a cell phone. You can choose not to view websites with tracking. You could live in the middle of nowhere in a country with strict gun laws and that would accomplish your other goals.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
14,891 Posts

I suppose you could go Amish.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can still buy a dumb phone or go without a cell phone. You can choose not to view websites with tracking. You could live in the middle of nowhere in a country with strict gun laws and that would accomplish your other goals.
No, I was complaining about these things' effect on the whole society. For example, my not having a smartphone doesn't fix the issue that people assume everyone has a smartphone nowadays. Some jobs actually require a smartphone, and I just recently had an issue renting and returning a moving truck because the business expects customers to have smartphones. I was asked to take a picture of my driver's license and send it to rent the truck, and when I asked what they did for people who didn't have smartphones, the employee said that hadn't ever happened.

I was at the rental place when they asked for this, so I couldn't have sent the picture from home with a computer. So individual people choosing to not have smartphones can actually make their lives more difficult.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Older Boomer Here, I made the deliberate choice many years ago to be as tech free as possible, So no cell phone, Never have missed it, or paying the bill. No television, what a major waste of time, Do not miss it at all. There is so much more you are able to do without a Television, and from what I see from others I do not miss much. Our one technical item is this Desk Top Computer, It does all I want it to do. It is my outside view to the world, But no Facebook' or Twitter Account, No tracking when possible. My privacy is very important and I will not tolerate invasiveness more then is very necessary. I do find my self feeling bad for others who have not experienced real life without Big Tech looking over their shoulder. I know this may seem foolish to some, But The things listed along with not internet banking or internet paying bills, or no self check out scanning all helps to keep a more stress free life style. Not to say there is not stresses remaining.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
No, I was complaining about these things' effect on the whole society. For example, my not having a smartphone doesn't fix the issue that people assume everyone has a smartphone nowadays. Some jobs actually require a smartphone, and I just recently had an issue renting and returning a moving truck because the business expects customers to have smartphones. I was asked to take a picture of my driver's license and send it to rent the truck, and when I asked what they did for people who didn't have smartphones, the employee said that hadn't ever happened.

I was at the rental place when they asked for this, so I couldn't have sent the picture from home with a computer. So individual people choosing to not have smartphones can actually make their lives more difficult.
Society and out market economies gravitate towards efficiency. Having a smartphone enables efficiency. You can choose not to participate, but you're going to be inconvenienced. Same thing would happen if you didn't own a computer at all.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Society and out market economies gravitate towards efficiency. Having a smartphone enables efficiency. You can choose not to participate, but you're going to be inconvenienced. Same thing would happen if you didn't own a computer at all.
Thanks captain obvious, that's about the same thing my comment said. And thanks for posting a second comment that's not related to the topic.

·
Registered
1NXP549
3,156 Posts
Actually gen z, very much sick of tech. I know it enables efficiency, and electing to avoid tech can be a huge disadvantage. I don't think a technology boycott conducted by a small group of individuals could actually bring the desired outcome. To get the full disconnected experience, wireless networks would have to go. Yes, that would be optimal. Back to the days of the landline, businesses would again operate at a much more sensible pace.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
I'm a bit hybrid, I guess. Born in 1965, so I was 'there' for things like the first ATM and the first digital watch. I joined the tech field in the mid 90s, just before programming shifted to object oriented. I've been working with/for software outfits ever since.

My personal self, I like computers, up to a point. The things that got me interested still have me interested. But I didn't break down and get a cellphone until my dad was hijacked and hospitalized about two years ago. I use the phone, but I still won't sign up for a data plan.*

I have always been ambivalent about my personal enjoyment of them. I like databases. I'm very lucky that they exist. Fuck knows what other work I'd ever be fit for or want to do if they didn't exist. But I question the actual value of many things pretty hard.

*Posted, for facile irony, from that cell phone.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
14,891 Posts

Actually, new tech takes away old jobs, but they usually do create new ones. Other than that, aside from the Dark Ages, humanity has always been tinkering and improving, and probably always will.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,501 Posts
I am happy to have a smart phone. It means that I can always reach someone if necessary. I take long walks and don't always show the best judgment when it comes to timing my return trip. Sometimes, I need to arrange a ride. And I don't have a car so this is a big help. I also appreciate being able to text. Because of my auditory processing disorder, I have trouble filtering out background noise, so hearing on the phone can be an issue. I can always read the text!!! And then, the coolest thing about the phone is that I can stream music!!! I need a soundtrack almost constantly!

And the computer is good. Especially now. I can keep in contact with other humans and not feel so incredibly isolated as I would have without it.

📯

Reactions: lilysocks

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Technology is my life, being an electrical engineer involved with various aspects of telecommunications since way back in '77. I find myself drawn to all sorts of technology, even outside of work. I'm the de facto 'tech guy' for my extended circle of family and friends, younger generations included.

Funny thing is that, outside of this and one other tech-oriented forum, plus FB, I have little to no interest or use for the social aspects of today's tech. Unlike others (like my wife), it has nothing to do with being a technical Luddite... I just haven't ever developed much interest in social media. FB is the one and only platform I even have an account for. I probably wouldn't even have THAT account if it wasn't the preferred method of contacting a particular manufacturer for support several years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts