Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I'm really frustrated because I'm trying to find the Beatrice Chestnut social 9 description on the internet, so I could post it here and see if you guys related to it, but I can't.....

Well, if anyone has that book and has read the description, how well do you relate to it?? Maybe later I will just sum it up here based on the book.

Also, how well do you guys relate to the average type nine description? What about the average INFJ description? Do you have any major differences from them?

@rajAs @imaginaryrobot @sneakerboxx @Halcyon @girlinthemoon

·
Registered
334 Posts
INFJ is sometimes described as (or understood as) a hystrionic freak. That's the only one big difference I've noticed. I'm not like that, probably because I'm male (usual Fe issues). Although I enjoy a lot engaging people and understanding their perspectives, it drains my energy (introversion anyone? :tongue:).

I love teaching (it's my job as an Olistic Counselor Trainer, and Enneagram is one of the disciplines I actually teach. Fourth Way and MBTI as well) and helping other people finding their own personal qualities, talents and so on. Personal development is what I mostly love, and I feel "filled" when I can do this with a small-medium sized group of people (from 5 to 10). It's exactly what makes me feel alive, it really gives me a sense of a life worth living. My dream is to create a multi-disciplinar group in which everyone brings his qualities, knowledge and perspective to the welfare and development of human being. It will take place sooner or later!

I haven't read the Beatrice Chestnut's description.

There are so many type 9 and INFJ descriptions that it would take years to describe every difference, so I chose to write down here in a few words what really matters to me, so you can compare it with what's important to you :)

Thank you

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Ok so I'm really frustrated because I'm trying to find the Beatrice Chestnut social 9 description on the internet, so I could post it here and see if you guys related to it, but I can't.....

Well, if anyone has that book and has read the description, how well do you relate to it?? Maybe later I will just sum it up here based on the book.

Also, how well do you guys relate to the average type nine description? What about the average INFJ description? Do you have any major differences from them?

@rajAs @imaginaryrobot @sneakerboxx @Halcyon @girlinthemoon
I actually think I'm Sx/Soc over Soc/Sx now.... Unsure if I should answer anyways. :unsure:

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
how well do you guys relate to the average type nine description?
I relate to a lot of what's said about type 9's and also not at all to other things commonly attributed to us, so I'm not sure? I'll just go through what I relate to and don't off the top of my head.....

Relate To:
- The core fear of loss and separation, like a lot, though I think it manifests itself in a much more extreme way in me than it probably does in other 9's for reasons I'm not gonna get into, haha.
- I also see the core motivation of wanting inner stability and harmony a lot in myself as well, but I feel like that's kind of vague and pretty much anyone you ask would say they want inner stability in some way. I do think it's probably more central to me than non-9's I know though, so I guess that's something.
- I relate to the "spiritual seeker" thing, though maybe not in a conventional way.
- I also relate to the withdrawing into my own mind and fantasies when things become stressful.
- Reeeeeeally relate to the not having a clearly defined sense of self and not being fully present in my body and "the real world", as well as the mirroring and absorbing parts of the personalities of whoever I'm engaging with at the time that comes along with that, and that tendency to really merge and engage with people I'm told helps them to feel welcome and fully accepted when interacting with me? Or at least I hope so, haha.
- Also relate a lot to the not wanting to assert or impose myself on others in any way, even if it really would be in my best interest to do so, though I think I'm becoming a bit better on that front.
- The whole numbing out or going into denial mode and pretending problems don't exist to cope with internal or external stress is basically the way I cope with most things. Hooray for dissociation, weeeeee.
- In that same vein, I'm a huuuuuuuge procrastinator. Really, if I could make a career out of not doing anything, I'd totally be rich.... and then would probably be uncomfortable with that and give it away because 9, hehe.
- Definitely relate to the whole humble/self effacing thing. I remember when I was in like elementary and middle school, I would lie and say I did worse on tests than I actually did so others kids would feel better about how they did, hah. And I also don't know what to do with compliments? I usually just whisper "thank you" and then run away. >_>
- Not sure if this is said in the average 9 description or not but one of the things I see as being predominant in type 9's is a yearning to be one with everything and to feel a deep sense of connectedness and belonging, and I think that it's probably even more central to 9's with strong social and sexual instincts. Or that could be totally wrong. Um, hi.

Don't Relate To:
- I see 9's often described as being cut off from their own emotions and I think I've related a lot to that in the past but not really anymore, IDK.
- I'm definitely more emotionally intense and reactive than other 9's I've known but I think that's to be expected since my two fixes are 6 and 4, which are both reactive types. I have a lot of feeeeeeeeels, okay? (T~T)
- I remember it being said a lot in 9 descriptions that our internal landscapes are like warm summer days with birds chirping and stuff and um, let's just say I reeeeeeeally wish I related to that.....
- I'm definitely not as easy going as the 9 descriptions say, though I often appear that way externally. Internally, I think I definitely have more anxiety and all that fun stuff than the typical 9 but I'm like half 6 so. And I'm not nearly as optimistic as typical 9's, and actually am kind of the opposite of that in a lot of ways. Damn fixes, haha.
- Probably much more paranoid and muuuuch less willing to trust than the typical 9, which again is not shocking with how much 6ness I have in me, heh.

Um, so that's all that comes to mind. Might have missed some things but I think that covers it preeeeeetty well. And before you go "OMG no 9 would spend that long on a post!", it's really just so I can avoid doing other, actually important things. Sue me. >_>

What about the average INFJ description? Do you have any major differences from them?
I dunno, it's been a while since I've looked at MBTI descriptions. I more just do functions now but from what I remember, I think I generally related to the average description pretty well? The major things I would say I don't relate to much are that I don't have typical Judger traits like being orderly or having high expectations or anything like that at all. Dichotomy-wise, I'm probably more of an INFP but I have waaaaaay too much Fe for that, haha. Um, and I think INFJs are usually described as having more clearly defined values and being more sure of who they are and just generally self aware and I don't relate to that as much.....

So um, yeah! I hope this is helpful. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
- I remember it being said a lot in 9 descriptions that our internal landscapes are like warm summer days with birds chirping and stuff and um, let's just say I reeeeeeeally wish I related to that.....
Hahaaa yeah, I came across this a lot in enneagram trainings- they call it the "inner sanctum, where everything is happy and fun" and one guy who was a Nine was like "When I'm stressed out, I imagine myself down by the lake."
So yeah like... I have an "inner sanctum" too, except it usually involves something like me performing heroic acts during the apocalypse and/or alien abduction, dying to save my loved ones, being involved in some hugely melo-dramatic tale of heartbreak and subsequent romantic proposals (essentially a jane austen novel), etc... Really the whole "inner sanctum" thing sounds incredibly boring to me! My Inner Disaster Movie is much more entertaining :)

Um, so that's all that comes to mind. Might have missed some things but I think that covers it preeeeeetty well. And before you go "OMG no 9 would spend that long on a post!", it's really just so I can avoid doing other, actually important things. Sue me. >_>
Goodness I would NEVER say that! :p I would be quite a hypocrite if I did.

But... stop procrastinating!

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Hahaaa yeah, I came across this a lot in enneagram trainings- they call it the "inner sanctum, where everything is happy and fun" and one guy who was a Nine was like "When I'm stressed out, I imagine myself down by the lake."
So yeah like... I have an "inner sanctum" too, except it usually involves something like me performing heroic acts during the apocalypse and/or alien abduction, dying to save my loved ones, being involved in some hugely melo-dramatic tale of heartbreak and subsequent romantic proposals (essentially a jane austen novel), etc... Really the whole "inner sanctum" thing sounds incredibly boring to me! My Inner Disaster Movie is much more entertaining :)
Haha! Mine is more like the Walking Dead where I'm simultaneously the zombies and the person fighting them. It's..... interesting, haha.

But... stop procrastinating!
Okay mom. :tongue::crying:

·
Registered
733 Posts
@charlie.elliot

Sorry it took me forever to respond. Finally had some time to answer this properly.

I'll just answer your general question first. I relate strongly to both the INFJ and type 9 descriptions. There are a few traits/statements within the descriptions that don't quite fit, but overall I know that they describe me well. And when you combine INFJ with 9w1, it really helps to paint a clear picture of my personality. I think I'm probably even more agreeable/flexible than the typical INFJ and focus more on peace/tranquility (whether internal or external).

INFJ (major differences):
-I don't completely agree with "stubborn". Possibly internally, but outwardly I like to think I'm pretty flexible.
-Misunderstood/weird. I don't really see myself as being that different from others or "unique". In general, I feel like I can relate to others easily.
-Avoidance of conflict (in relationships). I actually am fine with conflict in romantic relationships as long as we're communicating well.
-Emotional. I don't really view myself as emotional, and I'd even say I detach from my emotions easily.
-Decisive. Haha, no. I struggle with making decisions. The smaller, seemingly insignificant the decision, the more difficult it is for me to choose. I'm okay with big decisions, but the majority of life's decisions are the smaller ones, it seems.

Type 9 (major differences):
-Avoidance of conflict. (Again)
-Not prone to anxiety. Wrong.. I struggle with this.
-Procrastinate. I've never considered myself to be a procrastinator. I'm not sure if this describes me or not.
-But I can't really find anything else cause it's all so spot on.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I love teaching (it's my job as an Olistic Counselor Trainer, and Enneagram is one of the disciplines I actually teach. Fourth Way and MBTI as well) and helping other people finding their own personal qualities, talents and so on. Personal development is what I mostly love, and I feel "filled" when I can do this with a small-medium sized group of people (from 5 to 10). It's exactly what makes me feel alive, it really gives me a sense of a life worth living.
This perfectly describes my passion in life and what feels meaningful to me. I have said these words before, almost exact, for what I want to get out of life. I also want to teach/counsel people to help them reach their potential, but I haven't figured out my specific path yet. I just had to respond to this though, because it felt like I was reading my own thoughts.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the responses, I guess I'll add mine...

typical INFJ description:
*I'm not particularly moody
*I don't identify with being misunderstood or special- I think to feel ordinary- (though really I am misunderstood quite a lot)

typical Nine description:
*i've never been a procrastinator at all; I get really worried about getting in trouble, so I do everything frantically as quickly as possible (usually w/ lots of careless errors as a result- but hey, at least its done). In school, I think I actually procrastinated the least out of all my friends- (but I wasn't a very hard worker).
*I'm organized for the most part, get places on time, all the type J-type stuff (I ALWAYS know what time it is!! its my superpower).
*I'm really good at making decisions, though it's also in itself a form of laziness; I make the decision as quickly as possible so I can stop worrying about it, without really taking the time to think about it properly.

I'm basically a total control freak-- which I attribute to being a J-type and having a 1 wing... and maybe from 6-ish tendencies left over from low points in my childhood? I start to panic when I don't feel I'm in control... So I keep close tabs on everything.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey! I'm also INFJ 9(w1, pretty sure) so/sp.

There are some things I don't relate to in INFJ and type 9 which sort of explain eachother away I guess. ^^' I mean like, INFJs are supposed to be ungrounded and clumsy and unaware of their physical enviroment and types 9 is supposed to be the most grounded in reality and their bodies. :D I think I'm a strange mix of both of those things, in some ways... Well, I don't think I'll go into detail now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi there!

I always knew there were a lot more INFJ 9s than what is commonly reported. Glad to hear you speak! It's the greatest surprise to hear that there are a lot of teachers here. I too am a happily employed teacher, immensely grateful for my job and my students. Cheers!

I recognize myself in many things that have been said, so I'll try to think of further points of agreement or disagreement.

Type 9 :
I needed the "right action" message in my life.
It isn't hard to identify priorities, not anymore, but it's hard for me not to see them as a jumble of pretty equal importance. It's hard to prioritize priorities and go with the number one first.
I identify with the "suppression of anger" issue, and the sort of underground physical territorial annoyance of someone barging into my personal space. I have this weird belief "I'm already making myself as small as I possibly can, could you have the decency not to make me feel like I should also disappear?"
I wholly identify with understanding many points of view at once. When I first started learning MBTI and the enneagram, I took all the time needed to understand every type in as much depth as possible.

INFJ :
I don't relate to the status of uniqueness. I'm not special and everybody is misunderstood, that's a fact for anyone who takes the time to look at people.
Ni—I love metaphorical speech. I love using images, allegories and symbols to explain and teach. Also, I am quite aware and sensitive to my dreams (which might be one of the benefits of being an INFJ and a 9, good sleep and an easy link to the unconscious).
Fe—I am very much aware of non-verbal cues in communication. I also hate when people are left out.
Ti—I relate to the Ti "hidden agenda". Developing a good rational compass for valid and invalid arguments has been a huge thing for me in the last years.

(just for the record, INFJ 9w1 sx/so)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts