Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to bet that if I like them, at least one or two of you probably does too. I hope! My favorites:

Jane Eyre
The Forsythe Saga
Bleak House
Daniel Deronda
Middlemarche
The Way We Live Now
Vanity Fair (the mini-series, not the Hollywood version)
Wives and Daughters
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Anything based on Jane Austen
North and South
Under the Greenwood Tree
Our Mutual Friend

There's others, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. So if you share this particular quirk of mine, please list some of your favorites. Maybe you've seen something I haven't! :laughing:

Reactions: Lady Lullaby

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I'm going to bet that if I like them, at least one or two of you probably does too. I hope! My favorites:

Jane Eyre
The Forsythe Saga
Bleak House
Daniel Deronda
Middlemarche
The Way We Live Now
Vanity Fair (the mini-series, not the Hollywood version)
Wives and Daughters
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Anything based on Jane Austen
North and South
Under the Greenwood Tree
Our Mutual Friend

There's others, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. So if you share this particular quirk of mine, please list some of your favorites. Maybe you've seen something I haven't! :laughing:
I've made bold the ones I've seen and loved. I'm british and probably the only person in my family who loves british TV.

I also love:

Merlin
Robin Hood
Doctor Who
Sherlock Holmes (new series was on TV this year, modern version)
Little Dorrit
Tess of the D'urbervilles

The list goes on!! I'm sure I'll think of some more soon.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've made bold the ones I've seen and loved. I'm british and probably the only person in my family who loves british TV.

I also love:

Merlin
Robin Hood
Doctor Who
Sherlock Holmes (new series was on TV this year, modern version)Little Dorrit
Tess of the D'urbervilles

The list goes on!! I'm sure I'll think of some more soon.
My dad was obsessed whith Doctor Who when I was a kid. I think I had nightmares about Daliks!

I love the Sherlock Holmes series with Rupert Everett as Holmes. And I cried buckets at the end of Tess of D'urbervilles.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't believe no-one's mentioned the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice yet!!

It's awesome...
Well, I mentioned that I love anything by Jane Austen. I agree, the BBC adaption of Pride and Prejudice is very good. I tend to like the BBC adaptations much better than the Hollywood versions.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: HorribleAesthete

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Miss Marple
Poirot
Mrs. Bradley Mysteries
Wind in the Willows
The World of Peter Rabbit & Friends
My parents have been watching Poirot for a long time. For some reason I just never got interested until recently. I saw one a while back and really liked it. I love Poirot's empathy as well as his intelligence. He's like an NF Sherlock Holmes.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I think so too. A huge part of why I watch all these series is for the visuals^^ I love the costumes, and the scenery/cities.. The last two are from children's books and I watched them up till middle of high school... I remember recording them on videocassette XD Good times

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think so too. A huge part of why I watch all these series is for the visuals^^ I love the costumes, and the scenery/cities.. The last two are from children's books and I watched them up till middle of high school... I remember recording them on videocassette XD Good times
Have you seen the movie Miss Potter? I really liked it, although I always find it distracting when and American tries to play the part of someone British. But overall it was very good. I have a video a bought for my kids of Peter Rabbit stories, and wonder if it's the same ones you were watching as a kid? It was definitely British made.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yes I have both that animation collection and the film with Renee :crazy: If you see a bee in the beginning of the animation, and Beatrix walking about wearing grey suit, skirt, and straw hat, that would be the same^^ My favourite story is the Tale of Mr. Tod

I have grown up surrounded by all these British things..
I think I'd really like to live in the UK countryside/seaside someday

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I definitely want to visit at least! Most of my ancestors on my mother's side immigrated from England. Grandma is still quite English in her ways.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I absolutely ADORE the Forsythe Saga. Think I've watched it three times. It's not something most people my age would watch or even be interested in I think. But I love it.

Reactions: soul searcher

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yes, yes! I love these, too! I no longer have cable, and the only thing I really miss is "Masterpiece Theatre" on PBS, which is where I used to see those.

Recently I saw "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" and thought that it was a brilliant adaptation. I saw "Wuthering Heights" a couple of months back and thought that was really well-adapted, too.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most of these are available on netflix or most likely any other online movie renting company. That's where I found most of the ones I have watched, along with what is offered on PBS.

Reactions: yellowbritt

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hey soul searcher.. I just wanted to make sure, the video you bought was it this one? :proud:
I've seen pictures a long time ago of a stuffed Peter Rabbit and was curious if maybe they have another series.. but using puppets. Here, the style is just like Potter's own illustrations for her books

I did enjoy the movie with Renee.. I love the house that she chose at the very end and those little customs of the day, like having her grandmother with her all the time. I did research on Potter and was surprised about her relationship with the man at the Printshop. I'd only read about the farmer whom her parents disapproved of (again), and that it was with he that she ran away with. I remember getting my hands on a book with all her drawings, botanical studies and also diary entries^^

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Linus:

Yes, that's the one! I love that video, warm fuzzies all over! :laughing:

Reactions: Linus
1 - 20 of 28 Posts