Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's strange to be a 'feeling' type so strongly - well it's not strange but it is, if you know what I'm on about - to make decisions by the values in your heart and thought out intensely by your head; and then to be a strong 'thinking' type by this test!

·
Banned
144 Posts
It's particularly difficult to understand but it is possible to be an INFP 5. MBTI focuses on how a person processes information while Enneagram revolves around the motivation of a person.

For instance, I feel strongly about the poor socio-economic conditions here in my country (a Third World country, clearly) but I handle it in a systematic way by applying direct solutions to that problem such as joining organizations that have livelihood and housing projects. Both my Fi and me being a 5 are evident in this case. Having Ne also enhances the cerebral nature of 5's. It comes in handy in terms of thinking creatively. It's as though being a 5 serves as a funnel/filter to the numerous ideas that INFPs have.

Reactions: Kamani00

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I'm INFJ - so, close. :) I agree that being an NF and a 5 balances things out somewhat. I'm also a sexual instinct. I think both the sexual instinct and the NF drive me to seek out others more, since I really care about connection to others - which definitely off-sets my instinct to withdraw. I can see myself, if I were an NT (I hypothesize), just cutting people loose and going about my life, because its easier... but I can't do that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
INFP 5w4 here as well. Type 5 kind of explains why I mistyped myself as INTP at first. Even though I make my decisions based on my values and gut instinct they are still informed decisions. I do lots of research and want to get to the bottom of things. My values are so ingrained into to my thinking that I didn't even realize how much they guide me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not really familiar enough with Enneagram Theory to be comfortable stating whether or not it makes sense (I feel like it does), or I've been typed correctly as a 5. It feels right, though, and it resonates with me (especially with the added depth of wings and tritypes).

I'm an INFP that, on tests, at least, scores about even on Feeling/Thinking. Typing as a 5w4 (9wx, 4w5) is just another extension of that (to me.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm an INFP with 5w6. Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read about type 5's. Being an INFP, it seemed so odd how I could be a type 5; it just seemed to clash. As The Purple Theory said, it's probably what motivates us. I find myself to be motivated by trying to understand what is unknown.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good to know there's actually some of us :happy:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Reactions: stepltm and Helnax

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't really know much about Enneagram, (I know it's based off of motivations, and fears, stuff like that) it's all sort of confusing but I took the test because I was curious and it came out as 5w4. 5's have a fear of inadequacy I've heard? I don't know... But apparently I'm a type 5!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am INFP and 5w4. I think it makes a great combo. I can be sensitive when I need to and also quite knowledgable. Before I took the MBTI I did not know I was a feeler and I would have guessed the opposite, that I was a thinker. But now I see that I am kind of a Feeler but that is not a side of myself that I acknowledge or share with the world. I hate when people speak from their emotions and don't use any logic and common sense. My mom is an ENFP and often likes to present her feeling/POVs as factual evidence for things. I CAN NOT STAND THIS. I love facts, especially bizarre unusual ones. I tend to remember these facts better than I remember peoples names. I also love to research things that I find interesting, if something is not interesting to me I will not do it. On the other hand I am also a feeler. I have A LOT of emotions and tend to feel things deeply but never share those feelings with anyone because I see them as illogical. If I get a "feeling" about someone or something I will not address it or share it until I can make sense of it with logic/factual evidence. With both of these sides to me I feel like I present good evidence and am quite insightful. I understand people an their emotions and empathize with them and at the same time I love facts, research, psychology, sociology, medicine and science and believe that I am quite intelligent.

·
Banned
196 Posts
Most INFP's who think they are Type 5 are actually Type 4 or 4w5.
I am not sure if such thing as INFP type 5 exists in reality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I consistently test as 5 and 9 which correlates to my MBTI results of INTP/INFP. The fact that we have a pyramid of type influences rather than just one helps with self identification. I like learning about perspectives from both the 5 and the 9's POV.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have done and redone the test and it keeps getting 5w4, but I'm not sure if it's accurate. My F function is very strong, so I find it contrasting I'd be a 5... Well, it makes sense in a strange way.

·
Registered
725 Posts
i've tested as 5, 5w6, 6w5, and 6w7
still not sure which i identify most with, but for now i've settled with 6w7

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm an INFP. I've read the Type 5 description, and I relate to it so well that I can easily see myself as a Type 5.

Type 5 fits the INFP description very well. Remember that to be a 5, you don't need to be solely interested in investigating the physical world. Type 5's can also be interested in investigating the world of ethics, values, and the like. This is why some famous philosophers have been typed as 5's.

I think that many INFP's tend to internalize every little experience or observation that they make of the world around them, and try to see how it helps them come to a better conclusion about what needs to be done to make the world better or to further a cause that they care about. I know that I find myself doing this all the time, and I'm urged to keep a diary to record all of these reflections that I have. I often feel like- and I think that many INFPs can relate to this- I'm building some kind of model in my head for the perfect society, and the little observations I make in the world around me help me to add little tweaks to it here and there. The main reason I am so interested in philosophy is because I like to find comparisons between my own humble little model and the thoughts of great thinkers of the past, and find inspirations from them for this model.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts