Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the 6 is what throws for me for a loop in Fi land sometimes. I noticed most everyone here is a 5 or an 8. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
welcome back!

Think i scored evenly on the 5 and 6 score on the enneagram test but that was ages ago. Throw us a link to some test which shows which is what?

Reactions: Indigo Aria

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome back!

Think i scored evenly on the 5 and 6 score on the enneagram test but that was ages ago. Throw us a link to some test which shows which is what?
Thanks!

I'll post a link when I find a good example, but I find enneagram tests to be terribly inaccurate. I test as a 9 or a 5 every time, but I'm a hardcore 6.

Also, I've found that a lot of people who think they are 8's are actually 6's.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I'm not much into the Enneagram, but if I remember correctly, I might have been a 5w6. I've scored as a 5, a 5w4, and a 5w6. I don't know what it all means. :unsure:

Reactions: n2freedom

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I'm not much into the Enneagram, but if I remember correctly, I might have been a 5w6. I've scored as a 5, a 5w4, and a 5w6. I don't know what it all means. :unsure:
I am not that into the Enneagrams either. I always get the same result consitently however, 6w5.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
E6 is a mental type the same as E5 and E7, so I think there are plenty of 6w5 cp's who correlate with ISTP. However from what I have learned, E6 usually equates to someone who thinks linearly. Ergo dominant Ni and Si types.
Fives and Sixes are both Thinking types and, when educated, can both be quite intellectual. It is far more common for Sixes to mistype as Fives, but for some easily understood reasons. Of the two types, Sixes tend to be more linear and analytical in their thinking because they are interested in troubleshooting, in prediction, and in establishing methods that can be repeated. Thus, contrary to popular belief, the world of academia and higher education is more the realm of Sixes than of Fives. Academia teaches students to work with advisors and mentors, to cite sources and back up arguments with quotes from authorities, to follow proper procedures in papers and theses, and so forth–all type Six values.

Fives are much more non-linear in their thinking. They are interested in finding out where established theories break down and in developing iconoclastic ideas that shake up structures and established methods. Fives are, generally speaking, bolder than Sixes in their positions and creativity, but also far less practical. Fives feel that they can only trust their own minds to come to conclusions–they believe that everyone else is likely to be less well-informed. Sixes get frantic trying to find something to trust precisely because they do not trust their own minds to come to meaningful conclusions. The difference between them can be seen in the difference between Umberto Eco ( a Five) and Tom Clancy (a Six), or Peter Gabriel (a Five) and Bruce Springsteen (a Six).

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I found a test that actually types me right. Here it is.
Eclectic Energies Enneagram Tests (free)
I don't go for a lot of the other crap on this site, but they seem to have a good enneagram test.

also, they have quite the description of the 6. It doesn't make us sound like the anxiety-ridden, namby pamby, little bitch boys that other descriptions do.

Conflicted between trust and distrust

People of this personality type essentially feel insecure, as though there is nothing quite steady enough to hold onto. At the core of the type Six personality is a kind of fear or anxiety. This anxiety has a very deep source and can manifest in a variety of different styles, making Sixes somewhat difficult to describe and to type. What all Sixes have in common however, is the fear rooted at the center of their personality, which manifests in worrying, and restless imaginings of everything that might go wrong. This tendency makes Sixes gifted at trouble shooting, but also robs the Six of much needed peace of mind and tends to deprive the personality of spontaneity. The essential anxiety at the core of the type Six fixation tends to permeate the personality with a sort of "defensive suspiciousness." Sixes don't trust easily; they are often ambivalent about others, until the person has absolutely proven herself, at which point they are likely to respond with steadfast loyalty. The loyalty of the Six is something of a two edged sword however, as Sixes are sometimes prone to stand by a friend, partner, job or cause even long after it is time to move on.

Sixes are generally looking for something or someone to believe in. This, combined with their general suspiciousness, gives rise to a complicated relationship to authority. The side of the Six which is looking for something to believe in, is often very susceptible to the temptation to turn authority over to an external source, whether it be in the form of an individual or a creed. But the Six's tendency towards distrust and suspicion works against any sort of faith in authority. Thus, two opposite pulls exist side by side in the personality of enneatype Six, and assume different proportions in different individuals, sometimes alternating within the same individual.

The truly confounding element when it comes to typing Sixes is that there are two fundamentally different strategies that Sixes adopt for dealing with fear. Some Sixes are basically phobic. Phobic Sixes are generally compliant, affiliative and cooperative. Other Sixes adopt the opposite strategy of dealing with fear, and become counterphobic, essentially taking a defiant stand against whatever they find threatening. This is the Six who takes on authority or who adopts a dare devil attitude towards physical danger. Counterphobic Sixes can be agressive and, rather than looking for authorities, can adopt a rebellious or anti-authoritarian demeanor. Counterphobic Sixes are often unaware of the fear that motivates their actions. In fact, Sixes in general, tend to be blind to the extent of their own anxiety. Because it is the constant back drop to all of their emotions, Sixes are frequently unaware of its existence, as they have nothing with which to contrast it.

Because Sixes so frequently fail to appreciate the extent of their own fear, they often mistype themselves. It is common for instance, for female Sixes to mistype as Twos, especially if they are identified with a helper role, but Sixes have a much more ambivalent attitude towards relationships than do Twos, who generally know exactly what they want. Sixes, failing to recognize their anxiety, can mistype as Nines, but Nines have the ability to relax and to trust in others, neither of which come easily to Sixes. Sixes can mistype as Fours, especially if they have artistic inclinations, but they lack the Four's self-absorption. They can mistype as Fives, especially if they are intellectual, as many Sixes are, but unlike Fives, Sixes tend to be practical. Finally, conterphobic Sixes can easily mistype as Eights, but they lack the Eight's self-certainty.
------

E6 is a mental type the same as E5 and E7, so I think there are plenty of 6w5 cp's who correlate with ISTP. However from what I have learned, E6 usually equates to someone who thinks linearly. Ergo dominant Ni and Si types.
I think it's quite the coincidence that two of the most common mistypes for a 6 are 5 and 8. Also, sixes are more practical than 5. I associate 5 with NTP and 6 with STP/SFP. I don't doubt that there are quite a few 5 and 8 ISTP's, but 6 is the most common type there is (and also the type no one wants to admit being... :dry: ), and I highly doubt I'm the only ISTP/6 combo here. Counterphobic 6 also very much resembles 8.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I think it's quite the coincidence that two of the most common mistypes for a 6 are 5 and 8. Also, sixes are more practical than 5. I associate 5 with NTP and 6 with STP/SFP. I don't doubt that there are quite a few 5 and 8 ISTP's, but 6 is the most common type there is (and also the type no one wants to admit being... :dry: ), and I highly doubt I'm the only ISTP/6 combo here. Counterphobic 6 also very much resembles 8.
I don't think E8 would be that close a match for ISTP since the type is generally associated with extraversion. However I do believe as a wing, the ISTP can correlate with 9w8. From what I have read over the years, E6 correlates with all types.

·
Banned
2,283 Posts
I relate to both 6w5 and 8w9. Not one enneagram completely identifies with me as closely as MBTI does.

Reactions: madhatter

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
You are a Type 6 with a 5 wing: "The Defender"
Your tritype is 6w5, 3w2, 8w7.

Your core type (your strongest type) is Type 6 with a 5 wing: Type Six individuals are reliable, committed, and security-oriented. They are natural troubleshooters, and are always aware of potential problems. This makes the Type Six anxious, but the anxiety fuels them to resolve their problems. They can range from loyal to rebellious, depending on where they get their security from – if the security is from within, they can be very defiant… if it comes from others, they can be very cooperative and devoted. When a Type Six is in a growth state, they become calm like a Type Nine. When they are stressed, they can become arrogant like an unhealthy Type Three. You are a Type Six with a Five wing, which means that the committed nature of the Six combines with the cerebral nature of the Type Five. As a result, you often excel at concrete thinking and troubleshooting.

So that's that. The only thing - anxiety isn't a factor. I just like to solve things.

·
Banned
2,283 Posts
So that's that. The only thing - anxiety isn't a factor. I just like to solve things.
Consider yourself lucky. Although the anxiety is a major factor with the six type.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I relate to both 6w5 and 8w9. Not one enneagram completely identifies with me as closely as MBTI does.
What image type (2, 3, 4) do you relate to?

·
Banned
2,283 Posts

·
Banned
2,283 Posts
.@madhatter

Its a toss up between a 2w3 and a 4w5.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. Although the anxiety is a major factor with the six type.
Could that mean I'm mistyped? I'm not too familiar with enneagram types.

·
Banned
2,283 Posts
Could that mean I'm mistyped? I'm not too familiar with enneagram types.
I don't know enough to tell you what type you are. It was more of tossing out a factor.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts

·
Banned
2,283 Posts
Out of curiosity, how do you relate to the two different tritypes?

268 Tritype
468 Tritype
I am probably more of a 682 than a 684. I do have a high degree of protection for those I care for. Although I can also see where a 684 would ring true with me as well....

Reactions: madhatter
1 - 20 of 61 Posts