Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love nature and have always been very outdoorsy. Actually, I was a Boy Scout, which I have very fond memories of as a kid.

So I was wondering ...

1. Would you consider yourself outdoorsy?
2. What kind of nature do you like to experience? Ocean, mountain, desert, etc.
3. If you have one, please post a picture/link of a place in nature you enjoy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=browns+lake+comanche+wilderness&tbm=isch&imgil=tNmfadzsZcOTnM%3BAAAAAAAAAAABAM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.allestespark.com%252Fnature%252Fcomanche_peak_wilderness.php&source=iu&pf=m&fir=tNmfadzsZcOTnM%2CAAAAAAAAAAABAM%2C_&usg=__op4Y0nFshCYOre3TOqTfVdsd5iI&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiL5-Tc9tzNAhVS-mMKHZPzBVYQuqIBCG8wCg&biw=1366&bih=643&imgrc=7at26BWPjnYBuM#tbm=isch&q=browns+lake+comanche+wilderness

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx ♀
1,195 Posts
1. I like to stay indoors and be alone for the most part, but I do enjoy some outdoor activities like horseback riding, hiking through national parks/historical sites, and even walking my dog through the local state park on occasion. I sometimes like fishing or even just riding on a boat, but these aren't everyday activities for me, and I wouldn't want them to be if I had the choice.

2. I like wooded mountains. There's something so mysterious about them, and I kind of lose myself when I walk through them. I also like being in the middle of a lake out on a boat, away from land; the breeze is really nice, and it makes me feel so free for some reason.

3. I've been many times, but I still find fascination in the Great Smoky Mountains (this part is in Gatlinburg, TN).

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well I was a girl scout for + 10 years, even went to a school that had it as it's theme

I love being outdoor! Sadly I don't do it as much as I'd like to, but I sure do dream of doing a lot of outdoorsy things! However I crave new and exciting stuff, which I can't afford, and I can't really be bothered to run around and enjoy the surrounding area the way I used to anymore...

I did one short-ish backpacking trip, and I cannot for the life of me understand why I haven't done any since, because I loved it! I felt so zen!

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
1. Yeeesss!!!!
2. Everything! Doesn't matter! Let's go everywhere!

My parents are nature lovers, especially my ISFJ father, because he grew up in a small city in southern spain in the 50s, he never had tv or any other entertainment except go outside and be exposed to the elements. The city where they lived was surrounded by a river and lakes and fields, so my dad and my grandad would spend most of their life outdoors collecting wild edibles from the fields (asparagus, fennel, fruits, etc) and fishing in the river. My father, being an Si-dom, internalized all of this and correlates nature with his father and the nostalgia of childhood. And he passed this outdoorsy love onto me. My parents bought a caravan in the 80s, and so I grew up traveling Europe in the caravan with my parents and sister, sleeping in the middle of nowhere, and washing myself in rivers and lakes, no technology back then. We would camp near lakes and eat the fish we caught and use oil lamps at night and look at the stars and take care of the bonfire. I love that my parents raised me that way, I was so happy in nature.

I go out everyday even if it's just for a walk. I can't be home all day, it drives me crazy. And on days when I feel to tired to get dressed and go out, I sit in my little garden surrounded by all my plants and look at the sun or the stars, depending on the time of day.

Hiking is something I do every week, I love it so much. I've done it my entire life. That's why I love living in a small town, not in a city.

Reactions: NAP

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts

No. I like nature but haven't really pursued doing stuff in nature.
I grew up in a semi-rural area, but our house was in a suburban style neighborhood. At most, I'd go for walks on trails in these little hills behind our neighborhood. I didn't like walking in fields without trails because the grass was itchy and bugs would bite me. I admit I could be too prissy for nature growing up :p. I was mostly an indoor kid who read and drew cartoons.

I also confess I have always hated camping. I'm down for a day spent in nature, but I want a hot shower, clean bathroom and comfy bed afterwards. I don't want to lug a bunch of stuff to try and make it comfortable either. And please, no public restrooms, or even worse, "going in nature". I am a fan of modern conveniences, as beautiful as nature can be. I like to feel clean and comfortable.

No one in my family is very sporty...they are all bookish types. Some things we'd do outdoors: apple picking, exploring tidepools and sand dunes, and short & easy walking trails. My parents liked gardens, orchards and arboretums better than wild nature. I probably would prefer to read or sketch in the shade of a beautiful natural area than do something very sporty, honestly. I can just sit and do absolutely nothing outdoors and be very content.

I like it all, visually speaking. I don't make time for it though. Right now I maybe go for a walk in the park once a week, at best. I like visiting the nearby vineyards, but I don't go into them (just view them while sitting outside with a glass of wine, haha).

I haven't even made it to the beach this year yet and it's only about 45 min drive away. I like the ocean a lot and like to swim in it.

I want to visit the Southwest USA more. I've been to New Mexico a few times because my family hails from there, and I love the purple mesas. I want to check out Utah too. I'm a fan of the desert and natural formations. I've yet to go to the Grand Canyon and want to see that and Antelope Canyon in Arizona:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I like aspects of the outdoors and nature, but not enough to call myself "outdoorsy". Being out in comfortable weather, or in beautiful surroundings, that I enjoy. I grew up by the ocean and have a special appreciation for hanging by the water in the summer. I can't get enough of the beach vibe. But as others have said, I am not into rigorous athletic activities. An easy walk is great, but I don't need to go on a strenuous hike. I'll enjoy an evening bonfire and some smores, but I'd rather not camp overnight. As a kid I was definitely more imaginative, playing with dolls/building toys and doing crafts, rather than being outside with a ball or a bike. I suppose that has carried over, whereas I use the outdoors as inspiration rather than to provide direct enjoyment.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I love nature and have always been very outdoorsy. Actually, I was a Boy Scout, which I have very fond memories of as a kid.

So I was wondering ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=browns+lake+comanche+wilderness&tbm=isch&imgil=tNmfadzsZcOTnM%3BAAAAAAAAAAABAM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.allestespark.com%252Fnature%252Fcomanche_peak_wilderness.php&source=iu&pf=m&fir=tNmfadzsZcOTnM%2CAAAAAAAAAAABAM%2C_&usg=__op4Y0nFshCYOre3TOqTfVdsd5iI&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiL5-Tc9tzNAhVS-mMKHZPzBVYQuqIBCG8wCg&biw=1366&bih=643&imgrc=7at26BWPjnYBuM#tbm=isch&q=browns+lake+comanche+wilderness
Hello! What a wonderful question :) Even though you're retired and this was posted over a year ago... I want to play.

1) Yes and no! I love being outside, but with the right people and sometimes only by myself.
2) I love water. I feel a spiritual connection to water. Also, I love the woods.
3) Okie :)

·
Banned
7,896 Posts
Not outdoorsy at all, but I do like to take short walks, go on an occasional very short 'nature walk' and leave the hiking to others.

I played outdoors as a kid because I'm a Boomer and we all did, although my oldest brother and older sister -- both STPs -- were outside as much as possible and so was my ESFP younger sister, and heck, my ENFP baby sister (I have nicknames to keep them straight in my head--big family, complicated, too).

I went camping but I didn't like it much. I remember enjoying--after it was done--the challenge of putting up an old family tent that a boyfriend had with no instructions, and it was huge...

My son bowed out early on and his best female friend (six years old) stuck it out, helping me. At the end, there was one pole left over and I felt frustrated because I couldn't figure out where it belonged... until my boyfriend came home and said, looking at the tent, listening to what I told him, "That's an extra piece, you did fine."

I liked to go out as a kid alone and examine insects, watch birds, find unexpected flowers. I loved dandelions and didn't think of them as weeds--I used to wrap several in aluminum foil and enjoyed giving the bouquet to my Mom. When the dandelions went to seed I enjoyed blowing on them, delighting in how they went wispy and floated up and away...

I enjoyed watching fireflies and hammering nail holes in jar lids, keeping the fireflies inside with grass and watching them glow.

I liked identifying Monarch butterflies and telling them apart from Viceroys. Grasshoppers were a favorite, and many caterpillars.

So many spiders, I loved them all.

And ants, just watching them work, carry the wounded away, communicate by touching.

I got to see June bugs mate: They do it in the air, then fall to the ground, rest for a few minutes and fly off in opposite directions.

So, it's the study of nature more than being out in it that I love, although The Pacific Ocean, watching the waves, walking barefoot on the sand, the smell of it, hearing it... is an exception:

I find all kinds of water sources soothing or exciting, and thunderstorms, electric storms--and even as a child--tornado weather excited me.

It's the 'participation,' however, I can't do and don't/didn't usually want to do, maybe because my body wasn't up to it, who knows.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,600 Posts
I'd love to be outdoorsy!! I will be someday. I can't go out alone now because my family is worried about me getting raped or murdered when I'm by myself in a secluded area. They don't even want me to bike alone! I don't want to go out with friends because they won't understand. It will be too much about them instead of what we're discovering. I need to get some better friends, obviously, but that takes years.

Classic camping and hiking in a temperate climate would be fine. Biking on gravel trails is great too. I love beaches, especially ocean beaches. I just wish there weren't any people there! They always find a secluded beach in the movies... I want to go somewhere, not have to carry a bag or equipment, and I just want to be quiet and watch the animals.

·
Banned
7,896 Posts
@ButIHaveNoFear

I don't know where you are in the world, but in San Diego, California and adjacent to it, in La Jolla--really large places, you can go either very early or very late and not have to deal with many people, e.g. in the early morning it is mostly surfers and they are focused on getting in and out of gear or already out on the waves. And really late, there are some groups or couples with bonfires and such but not many.

So, if you can find one person who would like it quiet and you and enjoy that, go for it--even if it is years down the line. :)

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Love hiking. Oregon is fantastic for that. I'm not outdoor-handy, at all. If I had infinite time/resources I'd like to go fishing more. Just catch and release. Fishing is all about doing nothing, in the best way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts