Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holidays everyone!

After what seemed like a good half a year of constant searching, questioning, and introspection, I finally have came to the conclusion I'm an ISFJ. Reading this forum only solidifies it.

That being said, I'd love to know what books everyone has read to have helped them out along the way. It's tough, but I feel like I want to do more cool and meaningful stuff in my life but in ways I keep sabotaging myself/getting discouraged. However, with some reading I've at least become more optimistic, skillful, and optimistic. Here're some books that I've read recently myself that were very beneficial.

I started off with this (the book that made me want to read more books, hence why I'm asking here!).
The Slight Edge- Jeff Olson

The War of Art- Steven Pressfield
Bird By Bird- Anne Lamott

The next few books may be offensive for some here, and I'd highly suggest doing some research prior. It apparently has turned some worlds upside down. I myself have not finished all the books yet, and have only slightly begun the process.
Spiritual Enlightenment Trilogy- Jed McKenna
The Theory of Everything- Jed McKenna

I'd love to read everyone else's suggestions. I'd prefer nonfiction though, but if you have a very entertaining novels to read, I'd appreciate the recommendations!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Self-help books I like are:

-anything by Barbara Sher
-The Unmistakable Touch of Grace - by Cheryl Richardson
-Who Do I Want To Be - by Nicola Bunting (don't agree with everything in this, but some parts are good)

·
Registered
910 Posts
They are technically textbooks, but I found them to be good reads.

Reflect & Relate by McCornack (Interpersonal Communication)
Speak Up! by Fraleigh and Tuman (Public Speaking)
Health Psychology by Taylor

·
Registered
141 Posts
What to say when you talk to yourself- Shad Helmstetter M.D.

What To Say When You Talk To Your Self https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055DW3WA/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_at_ws_us?ie=UTF8

A good book that explains just how much certain thoughts you hold can affect you in ways you never realized. It also shows you how to identify and change them, giving your more useful thoughts to entertain.

This book helped me tremendously with a negative self defeating mindset I had all the years I was growing up. I now am much more confident in myself mostly because I discovered who I actually am, something I couldn't do with self defeating thoughts and feelings kicking around all the time.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Quiet: The Power Of Introverts In A World That Can't Stop Talking- Susan Cain

Non- fiction, title says it all.

Some of her famous quotes :-

"Come out of your shell”—that noxious expression which fails to appreciate that some animals naturally carry shelter everywhere they go, and that some humans are just the same.”

“It's not that there is no small talk...It's that it comes not at the beginning of conversations but at the end...Sensitive people...'enjoy small talk only after they've gone deep'. 'When sensitive people are in environments that nurture their authenticity, they laugh and chitchat just as much as anyone else.”

“Introversion- along with its cousins sensitivity, seriousness, and shyness- is now a second-class personality trait, somewhere between a disappointment and a pathology. Introverts living in the Extrovert Ideal are like women in a man's world, discounted because of a trait that goes to the core of who they are. Extroversion is an enormously appealing personality style, but we've turned it into an oppressive standard to which most of us feel we must conform.”

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Not an ISFJ, but here's my short list out of the thousands I've read.

Financial:
Dave Ramsey material + FPU Dave Ramsey Homepage - daveramsey.com
Millionaire Next Door The Millionaire Next Door: Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko: 9780671015206: Amazon.com: Books

Business:
Good to Great Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't: Jim Collins: 9780066620992: Amazon.com: Books
Built to Last Amazon.com: Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies (Harper Business Essentials) (9780060516406): Jim Collins, Jerry I. Porras: Books
Delivering Knock Your Socks Off Service Delivering Knock Your Socks Off Service: Kristin Anderson, Ron Zemke: 9780814479704: Amazon.com: Books

Relationships:
Click: The Magic of Instant Connections Click: The Magic of Instant Connections: Ori Brafman, Rom Brafman: Amazon.com: Books
Screamfree Marriage ScreamFree Marriage: Calming Down, Growing Up, and Getting Closer: Hal Edward Runkel, Jenny Runkel: 9780767932776: Amazon.com: Books
Screamfree Parenting Amazon.com: Screamfree Parenting: The Revolutionary Approach to Raising Your Kids by Keeping Your Cool (9780767927437): Hal Edward Runkel: Books
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No, to Take Control of Your Life http://amzn.com/1480554979

Skills:
Talent Code Series The Talent Code
First Things First http://www.amazon.com/First-Things-Stephen-R-Covey/dp/0684802031
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change (25th Anniversary Edition) - Kindle edition by Stephen R. Covey. Self-Help Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
- The power of now - Eckhart Tolle
- The alchemist - Paulo Coelho
- The monk who sold his ferrari - Robin Sharma
- Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom
- Quiet - The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking - Susan Cain

1 - 8 of 8 Posts