Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo, I'm sx/xp (ENTJ type 5 if anyone was wanting specifics lol) and taking care of my body is just NOT a thing I tend to do well. Most notably, my freshman year, I hadn't bothered to eat or drink for 6 days and passed out getting off the bus. More recently, I've taken up a habit of ignoring my (frankly severe) allergies and eating things I know will cause me significant discomfort just because I think the taste will outweigh the risks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
On top of that, I tend to get 2-4 hours of sleep a night partly because I don't need much, but mostly because I just prefer to work late into the night. It's not great for me, I know, and I'm known for falling asleep in lectures CONSTANTLY

Anyhoo, does anyone else struggle with keeping up with your meatsack? I know that taking care of myself is just- ...not a thing I do. I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences or explanations as to why this is even a thing!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with so-last. I think the problem is that people mistakenly equate self-preservation with self-survival. For me, self-preservation has more to do with preservation of the "self" (i.e., autonomy and boundaries and not wanting to "lose myself" in relationships or social groups).

BTW, I identify with sx/sp 5 as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know for sure that taking care of the meatsack (love that!) is often quite annoying. I do like being comfortable, and while I appreciate yumy food, I'm often too lazy to take and plan the time to make it, and just eat whatever is easy. Aka.. those single servings of Tuna in a can with a pull tab.. I've started calling those "FastCans", as the easiest grab and go meal you could ever get.

I also can't be bothered to exercise, and I have to admit, I need a days notice to clean my apartment before anyone comes over, as it's too gross to let any one in. I try to keep up with it.. and it doesn't work out to well that often :(. Keeping up with physical needs is a chore and annoying! Oh, and I am SX/SP/SO.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I've struggled like this my entire life. It's like I'm still a kid sometimes; I basically need my mom to come take care of me, in my mid-30s. Sad.

Yeah, one time I forgot to eat all weekend and then passed out Monday morning while I was trying to give a presentation to my class. I basically ignore my hunger so I'm always underweight. Always sleep deprived. That sort of thing. It's actually getting worse, not better, with age.

I guess I just consider it a pain to have stop doing whatever I'm doing, disengage, and then do something trite like eat a meal or go to the bathroom. I hate interrupting myself. My body serves my purposes, I don't serve it. I think I'd be happier if I didn't have one at all. And thus, my problems.

I think I am social-last, but I'm also an ENTP, and I've been blaming it all on Si-inferior. It's less obvious in the case of others why this is true.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'd call this a problem of weaksauce Si (which, especially according to socionics, an ENTJ would have).

A type with Si PoLR (Si as their weakest, least valued function) has little patience for sitting back and focusing on how they can physically better themselves in the moment, especially if they are involved in what they view as a very important matter. They would much rather try to act on their long-term priorities instead of their physical comfort, resulting in problems such as an inability to be aware or care about present realities, failure to realize the physical or mental strains they are placing on themselves, and being generally unable to relax and take the focus off of their long-term pursuits.
The only way I could see this being So-related was if, like, it was you sticking it to the man and all his "sleep is highly important to your health and sanity" propaganda.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm also an ENTJ and my stacking is Sx/Sp. I don't think it's related to So last.

Two reasons. Si polr. Inability to fully be present and neglect or unawareness of your physical sensations. In your case, neglecting sleep to work late. Si polr and Sx indulgence. Ignoring your food allergies and neglecting the physical discomfort the food allergies will cause your body because you enjoy the taste.

I don't think it has anything to do with so-last. I think the problem is that people mistakenly equate self-preservation with self-survival. For me, self-preservation has more to do with preservation of the "self" (i.e., autonomy and boundaries and not wanting to "lose myself" in relationships or social groups).

BTW, I identify with sx/sp 5 as well.
This is interesting. I don't like the Sp descriptions because it's not accurate for me and I assumed it was because I'm Sx first. Correlating Sp and boundaries is something I've thought about and observed as well. I've noticed So/Sx and Sx/So types with issues regarding boundaries as in they focus too much attention concerning other people whereas I'm Sx/Sp and naturally want to keep people at a distance first.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I've noticed So/Sx and Sx/So types with issues regarding boundaries as in they focus too much attention concerning other people whereas I'm Sx/Sp and naturally want to keep people at a distance first.
What you mention feels to me like an invasiveness of my private space. They claim type 2 is invasive in this way but I think it's more about sp-last. They also claim type 5 doesn't like having their private space invaded but I think that's more about sp. I think the instincts are jumbled in with the type descriptions and that needs to be teased out into better descriptions for both the types and the instincts. Another example is sx-first being confused with type 4.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm a sx/sp/so e5. Sp is my 'normal' function in the sense that I easily behave in a functional/healthy way with sp stuff like keeping my space clean, eating right, exercising, sleeping enough (well, normally, right now sleep is coming in second to schoolwork, but that's only bc I have a very heavy subject load this year). If there is a sx indulgence factor there, it's a quality thing; e.g., high quality 'fleshy' food :) The other thing is that I'm highly systematized with this stuff -- that probably helps to 'normalize' too.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Heyo, I'm sx/xp (ENTJ type 5 if anyone was wanting specifics lol) and taking care of my body is just NOT a thing I tend to do well. Most notably, my freshman year, I hadn't bothered to eat or drink for 6 days and passed out getting off the bus. More recently, I've taken up a habit of ignoring my (frankly severe) allergies and eating things I know will cause me significant discomfort just because I think the taste will outweigh the risks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
On top of that, I tend to get 2-4 hours of sleep a night partly because I don't need much, but mostly because I just prefer to work late into the night. It's not great for me, I know, and I'm known for falling asleep in lectures CONSTANTLY

Anyhoo, does anyone else struggle with keeping up with your meatsack? I know that taking care of myself is just- ...not a thing I do. I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences or explanations as to why this is even a thing!
Everything you wrote here applies to me as well. Only yesterday I almost passed out on my way to the local market when I finally decided to go and get some food (hadn't eaten anything but sweets in three days) because I hadn't bothered to shop for food in a while (and I actually really enjoy food, but shopping and cooking is a burden too great for me, most of the time). I sort of ignore my food allergies too. I sometimes forget a social preservation instinct implies keeping yourself in decent health (probably because I've never shown signs of poor health yet).

I also get 2-3 hours of sleep per night, but I usually take the time to 'recharge' (get 9+ hours of sleep) on the days when I don't have any type of work to do. On those days I am ultra sensitive to anyone requesting to spend my time on them, so I usually end up locking myself in my apartment and ignoring anyone's wish to see or talk to me.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that sx-sp is notably divided in the "pull" between the two drives (self-oblivion during merging; self-care and boundary setting). My younger brother is sx-sp and I can see a sort of oscillation in him like that. It seems like he fairly often willingly but kind of knowingly/reluctantly neglects his body in his pursuit of sx-driven interests, but then he'll have "rest" period where he'll be more devoted to taking care of himself physically. I think he does care about his physical condition and takes some interest in that (it's part of his studies at uni too) but he'll choose the sx until he's really worn out. It's just more fun, more life-giving for him. It lights him up. The sp physical stuff I think helps him feel better but it doesn't really give him drive.

enneathusiast said:
For me, self-preservation has more to do with preservation of the "self" (i.e., autonomy and boundaries and not wanting to "lose myself" in relationships or social groups).
Yeah I see a lot more of that out of him, too. More autonomy, boundaries, privacy, independence of action and thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks y'all for all the input, but I was pretty hasty to type myself as sx/sp because i thought being so meant you had to have people skills......yeah anyways ive done a bit of research and am now stuck between so/sx or sx/so. if you guys want to keep talking about the original topic by all means go ahead but know the OP (me) aint actually sx/sp lol

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I dont relate at all to not eating for extended periods for no reason (though I do do intermittent fasting, sometimes 18 hours or more), eating poorly (Im on more or less keto and dont eat junk) or not getting enough sleep (Y I K E S, I slept for about 7 hours today and it was miserable to wake up, few things are sweeter than getting that whole night's sleep :redface:). To me, all of those things are absolutely essential for my health (long and short term, my sanity and to have any chance of being productive.

What I do struggle with is a perception of time in the short term, I tend to misunderestimate the flow of time and end up either late by a few minutes (or many minutes) or be there early. Ive developed routines for that though, I know that I need to start preparing to leave the house about 30 minutes before class to make it there more or less on time. Idk, feels like I never have enough time to do things in general, everything is a rush. Deadlines up the ass and sorry but I cant pull 16 hour days. Sometimes I envy the complacent people who can just roll over, fall in line and do as theyre told "because they have to." Right now for example I wanted to do some stuff in the workshop but I need to start my evening routine in 40 minutes so thats out the window I guess.

Other than that, look at an sx description and you can probably extrapolate some negative traits, habits or mannerisms, thats kind of the answer to your question.

Edit: about the first part, Im pretty much the opposite of that, I love things that taste good. This has the negative effect of my drinks (doesnt even have to be even alcoholic, I can scarf 300-400 ml of coffee like nothing if its good stuff, especially in the morning) always being empty and that there is never quite enough food around...

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I do take care of my body most times. (Such as showers.) But if I'm focusing on something I tend to forget things. I'm more worried about other people than myself, especially with health.

But I'm having doubts about wether I'm Sx dom or not.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Everything you wrote here applies to me as well. Only yesterday I almost passed out on my way to the local market when I finally decided to go and get some food (hadn't eaten anything but sweets in three days) because I hadn't bothered to shop for food in a while (and I actually really enjoy food, but shopping and cooking is a burden too great for me, most of the time). I sort of ignore my food allergies too. I sometimes forget a social preservation instinct implies keeping yourself in decent health (probably because I've never shown signs of poor health yet).

I also get 2-3 hours of sleep per night, but I usually take the time to 'recharge' (get 9+ hours of sleep) on the days when I don't have any type of work to do. On those days I am ultra sensitive to anyone requesting to spend my time on them, so I usually end up locking myself in my apartment and ignoring anyone's wish to see or talk to me.
I can relate especially the part about sleeping. Right now its 00:37, I have work tomorrow but I can't help myself, being on here is interesting. I usually stay up to 2am...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Self care differs by one's definition of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts