Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you differ from SP and SX 8s? How did you figure out your type? What kind of life experiences led you type as a social 8?

I don't think I'm a core 8 but typing as a so-dom has convinced me that I'm 8-fixed and/or 8-winged. At a young age I was much the ringleader of my small group of friends in fun and adventure. But I could also be violent to even my friends. I believe that, along with my failure to mature along with everyone else resulted in me losing friends and becoming more of a loner. I deeply regret hurting anyone.

Still now without a social group I can call my own, I feel the need for power as part of, even better, the head of a group or cause. It gives me purpose and energy, and without that I feel empty.

Does this strike a chord with any social 8s?

·
Banned
176 Posts
How do you differ from SP and SX 8s? How did you figure out your type? What kind of life experiences led you type as a social 8?

I don't think I'm a core 8 but typing as a so-dom has convinced me that I'm 8-fixed and/or 8-winged. At a young age I was much the ringleader of my small group of friends in fun and adventure. But I could also be violent to even my friends. I believe that, along with my failure to mature along with everyone else resulted in me losing friends and becoming more of a loner. I deeply regret hurting anyone.

Still now without a social group I can call my own, I feel the need for power as part of, even better, the head of a group or cause. It gives me purpose and energy, and without that I feel empty.

Does this strike a chord with any social 8s?
My mother is a social 8. In contrast, I am a sexual 8, she is sexual last. There are a number of differences I've observed between us over the years.

I've noticed she is particularly political and strategic in the way she interacts with others. She naturally upholds a certain moral, interpersonal honor code and destroys anyone who breaks it. She's very talented at giving speeches, she's very talented at appealing to the group and winning over the favor of the majority. She takes a very deep interest in the lives of those around her and builds very intricate and broad social webbing, but at the same time can let go of anybody and everybody at the drop of a hat. She's very emotional when it comes to people betraying her or forgetting about her.

I wouldn't say she is concerned with power, it doesn't ever seem to cross her mind. She simply views herself as a very intense and strong person and is not afraid at any moment to stand up to anyone nor to express her full, blunt, unfiltered opinions.

I on the other hand am far less politically inclined. My strength and emphasis lies in one-on-one interactions and I couldn't pick up on social cues for the life of me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
In response to the thread's original question, apparently there aren't very many lol.

I wouldn't say she is concerned with power, it doesn't ever seem to cross her mind. She simply views herself as a very intense and strong person and is not afraid at any moment to stand up to anyone nor to express her full, blunt, unfiltered opinions.
I agree entirely with the emphasis on politics and strategy, though social 8s *are* concerned with power, they just have a different way of accomplishing the same goal. Social 8s are the counter-type of 8 and often have a strong line to type 2, which is visible in a more influence-based view of power.

If I know I can influence a group and swing them over to my view and what I want, I'm effectively in charge of them anyway. I enjoy being formal leader of a group just as well, though accomplishing goals by influencing friends is more efficient and allows me to move on to new things faster.

I suspect this may be the case with your mother, as well. Social 8s have a very different way of operating than Sp and Sx 8s, and they're one of the most visibly different instinctual subtypes. In some cases, they can appear more like an aggressive/outspoken 1 or 2 than an id type. But the 8's core motivations and fears are still there, as is the drive for power in their chosen sphere.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I think of the 8 stackings in the following way.
Self Preservational 8s are the Bears
Sexual 8s are the Tigers
Social 8s are the Lions

I find that social 8s place more value on honor, pride, respect, family, legacy, the bigger picture & power. They are going to have an extended concept of self. Socials will thin more in terms of Kingdoms, Empires, Organizations, Movements, Family, Systems, etc. This is the Don Vito Corleone 8.

We are more empathetic, we tend to see multiple points of view. There is a concern with the bigger forces at play. I also feel like we are generally capable of more reason & intelligence than our variant counter-parts. Our gravity is more towards systems than intensity or resource. Thus we can be more diplomatic as our interests are focused on the group & the bigger picture. I think seeing the bigger picture & operating with grand ideas & the sort can often make us seem 1 like.

As for childhood experiences mine is similar to yours.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
@Oak
I see male lions as Sexual 8w7. they basically barge in, force all the females into submission, kill off all the rival male's offspring, mate with all the females and then sit around while their newly acquired feline concubines bring them food :laughing:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think a good example of a Social 8 is Martin Luther King(social 8w9 to be exact.
Franklin D. Roosevelt is another famous historical figure I often see typed as a social 8. Both are good examples of the type, very idealistic in their goals but pragmatists in how they accomplished them.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I thought he was ESFP 8w7 Sx/So, but I could see that.
@Grau the Great
when I think Social 8 politicians, I think Lyndon B Johnson, Winston Churchill and Mikhail Gorbachov
Johnson was an 8? I thought he was just a sell out LOL I need to stop watching political conspiracies. I thought Churchill was a poet? and I don't know who Gorbachov was... please inform me.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Johnson was an 8? I thought he was just a sell out LOL I need to stop watching political conspiracies.
he actually started his career as a educator of underprivileged youth in Texas and wanted to be the next FDR and reform the hell out of education.

I thought Churchill was a poet?
perhaps (his presence and speaking style SCREAM 8w9 though)

and I don't know who Gorbachov was... please inform me.
Mikhail Gorbachev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Bill O'Reilly and Dr. Phil strike me as Social 8's.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find that social 8s place more value on honor, pride, respect, family, legacy, the bigger picture & power. They are going to have an extended concept of self. Socials will thin more in terms of Kingdoms, Empires, Organizations, Movements, Family, Systems, etc. This is the Don Vito Corleone 8.

We are more empathetic, we tend to see multiple points of view. There is a concern with the bigger forces at play. I also feel like we are generally capable of more reason & intelligence than our variant counter-parts. Our gravity is more towards systems than intensity or resource. Thus we can be more diplomatic as our interests are focused on the group & the bigger picture. I think seeing the bigger picture & operating with grand ideas & the sort can often make us seem 1 like.
This is so me.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
@OakI see male lions as Sexual 8w7. they basically barge in,
w7, w9. Could be either. Definitely not a sexual variant though.
force all the females into submission,
Protects the females on his terms. Besides most male lions treat the dominant female as their equal. He thinks in systems, hierarchies of which he & his pride is at the top & he is the boss. As does the lioness, she thinks in systems & plays her part in it.
kill off all the rival male's offspring,
Out of loyalty to his own bloodline. He does it for family.
mate with all the females
To guarantee the survival of their bloodline. Legacy, Family.
and then sit around while their newly acquired feline concubines bring them food :laughing:
Each lion has their part to play in the pride. The alpha male plays the part of protector, family man, boss & herald of bloodline.The female lions understand their part in the system & play their part therein, the mothers, huntresses, . Lions, like all cats have a leasurely nature. Cats in general are the chill dudes of the animal kingdom. Large cats have an 8 energy, lusty, fiery, vengeful, whilst domestic cats have a 9 energy, comfort-seeking, leisurely, & day-dreaming. I can even go into integration & disintegration if you'd like.Why do you think Lions are symbols of monarchies, countries, kingdoms, hierarchies, etc? It's a social symbol. One of the most blatant ones out there.Tigers in contrast have that sultry sexual nature. It wouldn't make sense to have a tiger as a symbol for any form of societal system. Their energy is too sexual, intense.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
*deleted, too weird*

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Never ;)

Don't be shy, let's hear it.
I wish I could but it was weird. :blushed: I really need to control my weird better.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Alright, I am not 100 % sure, but yeah I think I am 8w7 So

·
Registered
52 Posts
Uh YEAH, chord struck. Particularly the bit about needing a group. And also needing to be the leader of that group. I'm a musician -- my model is basically I'm Bruce Springsteen and I need an E Street Band. That kinda dynamic. We're all in this together...as long as I have the final say. Not even needing to have everyone do everything I want -- I don't care that much. But if I need to flex my power and change a situation, the ability to do so has to be present.

Also the regret about hurting people. I don't know that other 8s feel this as much. Relationships matter a lot to me -- I talk A LOT. But, like @Bay said, the capacity is definitely there to drop people on a dime. I don't feel bad about that if it's justified. Fuck off, is my thought on people who start shit they don't have to, or gossip. But if I was being wantonly uncompassionate towards someone out of my own...whatever feelings...there's a lot of shame/guilt that I HATE feeling that comes later. Well, most of the time. Sometimes the denial mechanism is just real damn effective.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts