Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my Ni has developed well so far ,but I don't really know how that happened. I would like to try and further develop this function so if anyone has any theories as to how to proceed I would be appreciative.

note: ( I meditate and I don't plan on taking drugs just so you know.)

·
Registered
180 Posts
@Jawz has a wonderful post about it! I'll see if I can dig it up :)

Well .. as for intuition coaching as you keep putting it, I'll share some techniques my mother used to use with me to help develop my Ni [she probably didn't know what it was ... but it was something she felt had helped her through her life hence she shared with me ... it's just that I was more inclined to use it more differently from her as it was not my dominant function]

- She would share her dreams with me and then we'd sit together with books / people trying to decipher meaning. We got to a point where I actually started having premonitory dreams myself [though mine were less pronounced, and more related to potential events involving people rather than changing life situation]

- She would sit down with me and discuss her intuitions about life, the world etc. She would get these "aha" moments and would now *exactly* what it would take to set things in motion.

- She used to take books and reading only a few pages, ask me things like "what do you think will happen next?". She'd do the same while watching movies. She'd actually pause in the middle and then we'd discuss potential directions the plot would take. I was pretty bad at it initially, but it started coming more and more naturally till I hit the point where I could detail 5 potential plot-lines.

- She'd give me scrap pieces of paper with random words written on it in no sequential order. Then she would ask me to guess the order of the words that she had written on her piece of paper. We'd compare. I got pretty good at it .. because I started seeing patterns and connections in how she herself thought. Over time, I was able to apply this to my school work ...i used to *know* exactly what questions were coming and which were not and how to answer them based on the teacher's expectations

^^ The above are just some examples I can remember off the top of my head. It was just a lot of guessing games, always .. all the time ... I just got really, really good at them. I still play guessing games from time to time - and am pretty good at them. I love going off on random tangents related to people - guessing their past, their present, and potentially their future.

The difference in my Ni and a typical INFJ Ni is that my Ni has *always* been people focused.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Sit on a topic for a while and just work through it; do not be satisfied until you have completed it (unless the concept is too large, complex, or intangible; e.g., God, nature-vs.-nurture, doing that will only stress you out) or made what you consider a reasonable assumption.

Try to find out how things, related or unrelated, correlate to each other. For example, how does the concept of human nature relate to the idea of God? Just ask "why" a lot.

Another exercise I think would be good is analyzing how things might play out. Ne sees how something might be, Ni sees what they might become. Take an event - I like to take potential relationships - and see how what they might become as you pick it apart. Again, correlate different information to each other. How does my trait of [x] compare to her trait of [y]? If we were in a relationship how would that work out?

Overall, just think of different ways to look at things. For example, when I read this thread, I had difficulties coming up with ideas right off the bat. Then when I saw Jawz' post, then I innately thought, "What else can there be? Surely there are different exercises one can do." And from there it took itself naturally...

·
Registered
17,829 Posts
Ummmm ..... so I'm getting quoted for my thoughts now. Hehe ... I made that post just after discovering that I am ENFJ. Wonder how much it applies to INFJs considering my use of Ni is mainly at its best when thinking about people possibilities and outcomes related mainly to where humanity related complexities are involved.

Lost made some excellent suggestions as well. A lot of it is dependant on soaking up knowledge and trying validate the correlations that automatically pop up ... which will allow you to trust it more in the long run.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
This may sound silly, but if you're an INFJ you've been training it more or less involuntarily your whole life. You can't really stop using your dominant function because you'll always revert back to it (seeing as it's the most stimulating function). Wouldn't it to better to focus on developing Ti or Se?

Not what you asked, I know. Sorry. :tongue:

·
Registered
71 Posts
The post that Jawz wrote was really interesting, I've never thought about strengthening my Ni that way. But for me the most important thing was just to learn that it exists and try to place some sort of definition on it. Before I was introduced to MBTI I basically went through life having strong intuition, but I didn't know how to verbalize it or even trust the thoughts that popped up in my head. Only after putting some sort of definition on it and learning to recognize the validity and patterns that Ni deduces was I able to truly begin strengthening it. It finally gave me a platform with which to realize I was onto something in reality with my thoughts, that I could trust my intuition to provide something useful to me. As others mentioned, studying psychology (for NFJ thinking) and physical sciences (for NTJ thinking) further helps because it places an outside structure on your thoughts. On that note, I think the only way to get a strongly developed Ni is to learn to balance it with Se. You have to learn to act on your Ni thoughts that come up, and you have to know that you can trust them enough to act on them. For example, if you think that someone is making a big mistake about some action that they're planning on doing then you need to tell them rather than just keep it to yourself. Basically, balancing Ni with Se is what Jawz described by seeing how your Ni thoughts played out in reality. That helps you build up trust enough in your thinking to be able to act on it.

As for what a person with well developed Ni looks like? I'd say look for someone who has accomplished something of note in life that has explained some complicated phenomenon or pattern that others are able to understand and incorporate into their lives. Or else they've made some sort of mark on the world that others notice. They also tend to write lengthy works which explain some complicated subject or story in great depth. People like Jung and Fyodor Dostoyevsky come to my mind.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The Jawz exercise seems like a great way to start off. I do the same thing with dreams too as well. I also learn to just trust my Ni. In the beginning, it was pretty rough but it got easier over time to the point where I am spot on almost everything that is happening. If I didn't pin point to something, I didn't make a mistake because I believe there is no right or wrong answer to it. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This really feels like guess the future. have you ever tried using Ni for physical tasks. Like I once tried it while making waffles. I told myself Go Ni and i started waiting then I got a feeling like hay open the waffle maker and behold a golden brown waffle.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
examine EVERYTHING on a deep significant level, don't let anything escape your voracious curiosity and scrutiny. Don't let go of something until you own it. Don't become obsessed though, know your limits and be in touch with them. "The unexamined life is not worth living."!! - Socrates

several of my friends who know mbti have been startled by my Ni. For several years I lived almost completely in my Ni because my Fe hurt too much(long sad story).

·
Registered
17,829 Posts
several of my friends who know mbti have been startled by my Ni. For several years I lived almost completely in my Ni because my Fe hurt too much(long sad story).
That seems to be a common theme amongst many INFJ's I've come across. My mom's almost completely rejected her use of Fe for anyone in the world except me and my siblings. And if I ask her, then she also says something similar that "it hurts too much to think about anyone else ."

Her use of Ni is extremely complex and something I look up to. She trusts it more than anything else in the world - but she rarely engages her Fe for anything other than us, or the philanthropic causes she believes in. I wish there was a way to encourage her to leave her comfort zone a little bit more because I she projects her pain onto me everytime we talk.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That seems to be a common theme amongst many INFJ's I've come across. My mom's almost completely rejected her use of Fe for anyone in the world except me and my siblings. And if I ask her, then she also says something similar that "it hurts too much to think about anyone else ."

Her use of Ni is extremely complex and something I look up to. She trusts it more than anything else in the world - but she rarely engages her Fe for anything other than us, or the philanthropic causes she believes in. I wish there was a way to encourage her to leave her comfort zone a little bit more because I she projects her pain onto me everytime we talk.
So are you saying like how the blind hear better because they are forced to adapt so to your mother's Ni has become Like the hearing of the blind man's ear.

·
Registered
17,829 Posts
So are you saying like how the blind hear better because they are forced to adapt so to your mother's Ni has become Like the hearing of the blind man's ear.
I wish I could say that with some amount of certainty -- but her premonitions are exactly that "premonitions". I know the nay-sayers won't agree.

It's just her personal experience. She gets dreams of sickness, disaster, even political turmoil, wars. There have been many occasions when she doesn't react to shocking news the way a person would expect to someone to. She's extremely calm in every way and takes everything in her stride.

I've stopped asking her why nothing bothers her at all -- but she's almost always managed to prove to me that she's seen already seen the event and had already prepared herself for it.

I don't get her half the time she speaks when she does decide to speak about non practical life related matters [very rare] - but she's right so often and has so many perspectives that it's really hard for me to keep up with her.

What you're saying might be a little exaggerated ... but my life with my mother was a philosophy in itself.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wish I could say that with some amount of certainty -- but her premonitions are exactly that "premonitions". I know the nay-sayers won't agree.

It's just her personal experience. She gets dreams of sickness, disaster, even political turmoil, wars. There have been many occasions when she doesn't react to shocking news the way a person would expect to someone to. She's extremely calm in every way and takes everything in her stride.

I've stopped asking her why nothing bothers her at all -- but she's almost always managed to prove to me that she's seen already seen the event and had already prepared herself for it.

I don't get her half the time she speaks when she does decide to speak about non practical life related matters [very rare] - but she's right so often and has so many perspectives that it's really hard for me to keep up with her.

What you're saying might be a little exaggerated ... but my life with my mother was a philosophy in itself.
No I understand I too have seen glimpses of things I can't explain ,but I am sure happened. perhaps one day I too can see as clearly as your mother seems to. There are also those people that you just can't help ,but learn from.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
If Ni is your dominant function you don't need to strengthen it.. You use it naturally. You are advised to strengthen your inferior functions because these are the functions that come to the forefront under stress or when under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or when you spend too much time in your dominant function. The body will naturally force you to use others functions to keep the balance. However your inferior functions are NOT DEVELOPED (Your Dom is as developed as it's going to be.. THAT'S WHY IT'S YOUR DOM FUNCTION) so it's wise to develop your inferior so you don't make a complete ass of yourself.
If your Ni needs developing... YOU ARE NOT AN Ni DOM..

READ PEOPLE.. Stop asking the clowns to run the circus and go read a freaking book about this stuff.

Love Arc.

·
Registered
Infj
1,018 Posts
I think the more I read books regularly the more I was able to predict things, I read so often that I knew what type of person sitting next to me was without needing to have more than a 5 second look at them. I'm not sure if this is Ni but, if you want to be able to predict trends, people, situations in life and see what's in store for other peoples lives before it even happens, then I suggest that you read lots of books. I actually stopped reading books because life almost became way too predictable and I became very bored easily and the only world that was interesting was the ones i made up in my stories. (but I also had a bit of pride too...so that could've helped with the boredom)
i read at least minimum 50 books a year... probably. When I was really young I read more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts