Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. ENTP here with an appetite for reading and writing.

I'm a freelance copywriter and writer and I've always been drawn to eating up the written word to synthesize into my own ideas and creations. I read fiction, non-fiction, trade journals, etc.

Is this a shared quality with most ENTPs? This lifelong devotion to learning and the creation of ideas.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I like to read but I don't read what I can . I just read what interests me.
So I can't say I read a lot because most of my friends are not with the same tastes as me in books , so I don't get much recommendations and because we have obligatory reading , I don't have much time left for my own books.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I always keep quite a few books checked out from the library, but I read just what I'm interested in at the moment.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I love reading - both fiction and non-fiction. (I usually read non-fiction because it's more applicable to real life).

Only thing is, I never finish the books. :crazy: As soon as I'm 1/3 through it, I get distracted by another book, and so on.

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
I love to read and tend to finish most books...but I tend to read a little bit...get distracted by another book...get bored and come back to the old book, etc.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I like to think I read a lot :)

What actually happens is I borrow a whole stack of books that I am interested in from the library then I read them all, sometimes with this book and a few hours a next book. I do have trouble finishing books. If I borrow 3 books and read them all at once (not simultaneously). What I find is that I just read over the juicy parts, the parts that interested me in the first place.

If I borrow only one book, I still skim over the boring parts and just read the juicy parts but at least I'll "finish" the book.

Certain books interest me more than others. I don't like romance novels, novels, storybooks. Documentaries, case studies, and personal stories always interest me best. I haven't been reading lately but I when I read, I read around 100 pages per sitting.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
When younger I read at least one book a week. If Pulp was all I had, at least one book a day. Then mostly fiction of differing quality. And also I collected (...collecting you could say) interesting books with facts.

Nowadays I can re-read books of old, and also read/write a lot in my line of work. So I dont read as much anymore. But perhaps 10 books a year (novels/fiction) PLUS fact books and stuff like "Medici-effect" and "Blink". But I now try to write more myself. Fiction/short stories with lots of esoterica for the nerdy, and just (hopefully) good stories for the rest.

As a note I read extremely fast. I "look at" a page and if it is a fact book I quickly can pick out relevant facts without actually reading most of it. I think it has to do with dealing with imagery instead of only words, but I do not know. If it is profound truths about human nature I read it "slowly" so not to lose any aspect of the text. But still faster (they say) than my friends and family.

SIDE NOTE: Copywriting is cool work. But I find thinking "copy" can destroy traditional authoring through reducing the text too much.... Anything you have noticed?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When younger I read at least one book a week. If Pulp was all I had, at least one book a day. Then mostly fiction of differing quality. And also I collected (...collecting you could say) interesting books with facts.

Nowadays I can re-read books of old, and also read/write a lot in my line of work. So I dont read as much anymore. But perhaps 10 books a year (novels/fiction) PLUS fact books and stuff like "Medici-effect" and "Blink". But I now try to write more myself. Fiction/short stories with lots of esoterica for the nerdy, and just (hopefully) good stories for the rest.

As a note I read extremely fast. I "look at" a page and if it is a fact book I quickly can pick out relevant facts without actually reading most of it. I think it has to do with dealing with imagery instead of only words, but I do not know. If it is profound truths about human nature I read it "slowly" so not to lose any aspect of the text. But still faster (they say) than my friends and family.

SIDE NOTE: Copywriting is cool work. But I find thinking "copy" can destroy traditional authoring through reducing the text too much.... Anything you have noticed?
Well, copywriting is an art that aims to make people act through mainly written persuasion in the most economical way possible. Yes, the language used is terse yet potent--every word must pack mountains of meaning and be easy enough for the target audience to grasp and act upon.

Everyday speak may mimic that of advertising speak because it's what people see in most places, but illustrious and complex language that pleases the senses will never leave its rightful home--in areas of high art--because there will always be a subset of admirers to keep that kind of language alive.

Everything is becoming (or it has always been) compartmentalized. Informal writing for speaking style; flowery, beautiful language for sensual stimulation; cold, analytical writing for science; persuasive hard-sell talk for calling people to action, etc.

I don't think any particular style will ever truly be lost; it's just that different ways of writing things will grow somewhat isolated from other. And I want to note that I'm referring to styles or modes persisting, not necessarily content--word choice, subject matter, etc.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well, copywriting is an art that aims to make people act through mainly written persuasion in the most economical way possible. Yes, the language used is terse yet potent--every word must pack mountains of meaning and be easy enough for the target audience to grasp and act upon.

Everyday speak may mimic that of advertising speak because it's what people see in most places, but illustrious and complex language that pleases the senses will never leave its rightful home--in areas of high art--because there will always be a subset of admirers to keep that kind of language alive.

Everything is becoming (or it has always been) compartmentalized. Informal writing for speaking style; flowery, beautiful language for sensual stimulation; cold, analytical writing for science; persuasive hard-sell talk for calling people to action, etc.

I don't think any particular style will ever truly be lost; it's just that different ways of writing things will grow somewhat isolated from other. And I want to note that I'm referring to styles or modes persisting, not necessarily content--word choice, subject matter, etc.
I agree. My thoughts too. Have written SOME copy myself. That was when I saw this....

Another note about copy: I can write in different styles, but when I am "stuck" in COPY-mode, all other styles just dont work. Too much values and information to be packed and .... to "manipulate" the reader. It gets too .... cynical? A manual has a hands-on and direct but honest language. Artistic texts conveys feelings, ideas and emotions. The same as COPY but copy has a more sinister, commercial purpose, normally (and needs to be WAY shorter).

Well, of course you already know all this so what am I rambling about....:)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree. My thoughts too. Have written SOME copy myself. That was when I saw this....

Another note about copy: I can write in different styles, but when I am "stuck" in COPY-mode, all other styles just dont work. Too much values and information to be packed and .... to "manipulate" the reader. It gets too .... cynical? A manual has a hands-on and direct but honest language. Artistic texts conveys feelings, ideas and emotions. The same as COPY but copy has a more sinister, commercial purpose, normally (and needs to be WAY shorter).

Well, of course you already know all this so what am I rambling about....:)
Hehe one could say that persuasive writing is underhanded; and it is. But artistic, emotional poetry is also underhanded in its attempts to make you feel a certain way. I think all writing is manipulative.

I think the writer of any text necessarily communicates with a reader. And thereby he is galvanizing his reader to an end (delight, clarity of thought, call to action, acquittal of an indicted) through whatever means that best suits the writer's task.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Unless it's a book I'm really enjoying, I have the tendency to be reading 3 or 4 books slowly at the same time. I absolutely love to read though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm not much of a writer I prefer to talk about my ideas and use acting and musicals for my creative outlet rather than paper.

I'm a huge reader though. I've yet to meet anyone that knows more about Tolkiens world of Arda than me.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm not much of a writer I prefer to talk about my ideas and use acting and musicals for my creative outlet rather than paper.

I'm a huge reader though. I've yet to meet anyone that knows more about Tolkiens world of Arda than me.

I was an absolute Tolkien nerd when teenager, so BRING IT ON!
I even studied Sindarin and a tad Quenya at one point... oh gosh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts