Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having few notes on notepad which are in Russian and for me it looks no more then a shit which i cannot read until i found someone who is good in Russian and in English both. Do anyone knows any method or any trick to read Russian online? Please do not refer any translator as they sucks out the whole conversation.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well...whenever I want to learn to read a new language...I just sit down and read it. First step is to learn the sounds the letters make--makes it easier to read than just staring at symbols with no apparent function.

Second step is to look for clues in sentence structure and also similar words to those in your own language to get a feel for the general meaning of what is being said. From this, it's typically a bit easier to figure out what the rest of the sentence might be.

Third step is repeated exposure/assimilation. This is helpful. The more you read it, the more it sticks and the easier it becomes.

I used this method to read an entire Danish novel....it wasn't all that interesting, though. Still, the experience is what matters, in the end.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The "trick" to learning Russian involved four steps.

1.Drink a healthy shake.
2.Stand on your head for five minutes immediately afterward.
3.As you stand on your head, say your true love's name 5 times
4.Read 20 pages from Constance Garnett's classic translation of Anna Karenina

You will then be able to read and comprohend Russian for 20 minutes. Your welcome.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well...I think all you really can do is learn the language first and then translate it if you don't trust the online translators.... :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Google Translate is an awesome tool for translation... as well as Babelfish... when are we all going to have our own Babelfishes like in Hitchhiker's Guide?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts