Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am starting get interested in the appeal of wristwatches. Anyone here likes collecting them? Oh also tell me too into what got you into collecting watches. For me, I think it's the only type of jewelry I can appreciate looking at and wearing.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I wouldn't say I collect watches, but I have four of them.

My nicest one is a 60s Omega Seamaster that I really like. It's not in great state, the glass needs to be replaced and it hasn't been working lately (probably just needs cleaning). It has sentimental value though (it was my grandfather's) and I like the look. It's fairly understated and classy, and on the smaller side. Modern watches tend to be so freakishly large.

I really like the bauhaus school of design when it comes to watches... I can't afford it at the moment, but I'd like to get my hands on something like this:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It just feels weird when I don't have my watch on. I don't collect them, but I do agree that they're the only accessory I really wear. It's more of a tool I guess, have you ever looked into the new electronic watches. A few of my friends have them and I think it's pretty cool.

If I was born in the 1800s I would definitely have a pocket watch, they're so cool. I just wear a G-Shock now, very durable, had that thing caked in mud and in the pool. Love it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think I am starting get interested in the appeal of wristwatches. Anyone here likes collecting them? Oh also tell me too into what got you into collecting watches. For me, I think it's the only type of jewelry I can appreciate looking at and wearing.
I'm into the aesthetic of watches. Meaning, I don't care for overpriced nonsense. Personally, I've always found beauty in matching asymmetry. Meaning, it looks good together, despite asymmetry. Watches do just that.

I have big, small, gold, silver, leather and plastic watches. Depends on the mood. My recommendation is not to get into the nonsense of expensive watches for expenses sake. In Manhattan, often the ulta-wealthy (people with $100MM+) don't even buy this stupid stuff. They spend $5K on very fancy counterfeits. Only very silly people spend $10K+ on a watch.

In my recommendation, a good starter is:

https://www.bulova.com/collections/mens-watches/products/97b155

I love this watch. It's classic, formal and looks awesome. I have one like this that I wear in the gym. People love it. It's cheap. I bought my on Amazon for $150 years ago when it was on sale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts