Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering whether anybody here has gone to a therapist/counsellor? What type of therapist was it and do you find that it helped?

The reason I am asking is because I know two people who had seen a therapist (not sure what type) for mental health issues and have been very critical about it. I have another friend who said it really did help to talk to somebody and have someone pick at their brains. Obviously experiences are different for everybody but just wondering about your thoughts and opinions on therapies.

(The closest I have come to therapy was when I went to a counsellor once when I was going through a rough patch and I really did not think it helped.)

·
Banned
739 Posts
Therapy helped me the most when I was at my lowest functioning and had nobody else to talk to. After I reached a higher functioning level, I didn't find therapy useful anymore. Especially when I didn't feel like the therapist knew more than me or gave helpful advice. Some therapists can give destructive advice, so you have to be careful that you're seeing someone that can give you feedback that works for you. Therapy is also great for venting, getting validation and just getting things out of your system. Therapists are more trained the average person to listen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It will depend on the personality of the therapist. I just saw a new one for the first time last week and it did not go well. She was a bit too much for me. She would interrupt what I was saying to throw out something she wanted to say and tell me to start doing all kinds of things like working while going to school and making the most use of my time. Based on that first impression, she seemed like an ExTJ. She seemed to try really hard to motivate me which was nice, but I needed someone to listen and understand my issues. My last two therapists were like that, though I didn't stick with them because they didn't seem to be great with advice. They would give basic advice like journaling. I think therapy is great, and regardless of their personality, talking and getting things off your chest is a big relief. For the long run though, you will want to keep trying different therapists until you find one that clicks with you.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I went to see a psychologist. I never really stayed for more then 2 months or so... It just didnt do anything for me. They just told me things I know.
(It was a lower-priced counselling centre, MA student did their residency there. My area is one of the last places where you can be a Psychologist with just a Masters)

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I went to see a psychologist. I never really stayed for more then 2 months or so... It just didnt do anything for me. They just told me things I know.
Same here.

·
Banned
512 Posts
I'm honestly surprised that so many people on this thread have had bad experiences with therapy. Then again, it could just be non-response bias - people who have had good experiences in therapy are underrepresented in this thread.

I have had a few therapists in my life, and not to put down the one's without PhDs, but I found that the PhDs to be much more helpful than the social workers. In particular, I found that the psychologists who had some training in psychodynamic therapy and psychoanalysis to be particularly helpful, but they tend to be PhD-level psychologists that charge a bit more. I guess if you're an iNtuitive type on the MBTI, you would prefer more abstract, psychodynamic therapy versus the more concrete counseling that focuses on habits. But it costs more and takes up more time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Therapy is what you make of it. I found it more beneficial to work through my problems on my own time, in my own way. It wasn't for me, but that doesn't mean it can't help you. At their best, therapists are like a resource, basically. They can't do any more to help you than you can to help yourself, they can only provide you with information. Like @loving2011 already mentioned, therapists can also be harmful- if you fall into the trap of thinking that they must know, because they are therapists than the advice they give you may not be the best advice, but you could think it's true and if it's invalidating or destructive, you know.

·
Banned
739 Posts
There are good therapists out there, but you have to make sure it's the right fit. I think people don't come across the right fits. I also think if you were raised with a severe trauma history, it's good to know that your therapist doesn't expect you to follow every advice that they offer. I told a previous therapist this. I felt obligated to take her advice, even when I didn't agree with it. I came back to her advice saying that the office didn't work. She said, "You could have just said this wasn't a good idea." True, it was my fault for feeling so obligated. Still, I think people should be careful of what advice they give and let people know that they have their own power at the end of the day.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
My parents sent me to a therapist when I was 13. I didn't want to be there. I wasn't cooperative. And sometimes, I killed the time imagining gruesome ways for her to die so that I wouldn't have to see her again next week. Can't really say if therapists are good or bad because I didn't give it a fair chance. That said, I did get sent to group therapy after that. I didn't share in group therapy, but I did find it helpful listening to other people share. Of course, being 13, I gave about zero feedback that it helped. But it really did.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've only gone to one therapist. She was sweet, but if you're looking for someone to actually help you get through what you're dealing with, don't find one that specializes in client-centered therapy. The whole time they'll just be repeating back what you said to them and telling you how, "That sounds like it must have been really rough."

I'm considering seeing someone at some point soon. Hoping to find one with more of a focus on psychodynamic therapy. It seems like it would be more self-revealing and in general more helpful overall. If you're looking for a quality therapist, PsychologyToday has a good search engine. I actually stumbled across someone who was specialized in the Enneagram.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering whether anybody here has gone to a therapist/counsellor? What type of therapist was it and do you find that it helped?

The reason I am asking is because I know two people who had seen a therapist (not sure what type) for mental health issues and have been very critical about it. I have another friend who said it really did help to talk to somebody and have someone pick at their brains. Obviously experiences are different for everybody but just wondering about your thoughts and opinions on therapies.

(The closest I have come to therapy was when I went to a counsellor once when I was going through a rough patch and I really did not think it helped.)
I've been to both a psychologist and a psychiatrist, and they were a complete waste of time for me.

Honestly, it depends on what the problem is. If you have some sort of chemical imbalance or even just an imbalance in your life (behaviors, diet, etc.) and you're not sure what changes need to be made, then provided you get the right psychologist, it can make your life easier. They're generally there to provide resources. If you have something that is physically wrong with you and potentially the cause of these things, then seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist is likely the only way to get tests ordered for you and this can help you gain a better understanding of your body and what's going on.

For me, it didn't work out because I already knew what needed to happen in my life, and they were just regurgitating information I already knew. The psychiatrist was incompetent as well, unfortunately, so that didn't particularly help. In any case though, if you're stuck and you need someone to potentially link you to resources, they're not bad for that.

Oh, and, one last note. If you're in a country that provides healthcare, it's a great way to get bodily exams done for free - and those are always good because they could potentially find problems before they become problems, and it also will give you a clearer image of your own personal health (and areas that need improvement).

If you have any questions about my experience specifically, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I've been to a counselor during a bout with depression while going through a divorce. It was helpful, mainly just to have a neutral third party to talk things through with that had a lot of training on the best ways to deal with things. She got me through the initial stages then I stopped going after I felt like I stopped learning new information with her blessing. I probably got more out of the DivorceCare group DivorceCare - Divorce Recovery Support Groups - DivorceCare I went to later and books though.

In my mind counselors are there to get you through specific situations and to help you develop specific skills. As with any field, there are good ones, and those that just barely graduated. The good ones will coach you through your situation and then turn you loose, and you should learn something along the way. They will push you to do things you're uncomfortable with until you feel comfortable doing them on your own just like any coach.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had one very short-lived experience with a therapist. I was diagnosed with obsessive thinking disorder (basically, they told me I overthink things...lol who doesn't?) I am extremely self-aware, but I get anxious frequently due to my high sensitivity to people and everything around me. Because of my anxiety, I figured I'd try it. The guy ended up getting so annoyed with me, that he told me, "I don't think this is working for you. You can leave if you want." So I did, and I didn't go back. It was such a waste of time. If you know yourself well enough, therapy won't do much. It mostly helps people become aware of what's going on so that they can start problem solving ways to make it better. For my anxiety, I need a re-routing of the way I think. Just talking about what my stressors are doesn't do crap lol.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I went to one who seemed adament about instilling a sense of fear in me, he told me I was sick and I really needed him to feel better. And the pay was 50 dollars for a visit. Yeah, so, I only saw him once

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, I have gone to a therapist, counselor, and psychologist. My current therapist is a family/LGBT youth-oriented one. My former counselor and psychologist are school-oriented ones. The therapist has helped me out of deep jam like depression and suicide. My senior-year high school counselor somewhat consoled with my personal issues, but it wasn't effective as the therapist. My school psychologist was the worst one out of the three because he began to compare my issues and situations with disable students when I mentioned that I was an asexual transgender individual.

It truly depends on the therapist, counselor, and psychologist with how much knowledge, open-mindfulness, and experience they share and cooperate with the clients/patients. Therapy is definitely useful when one finds the most qualified to support them, but it isn't guaranteed everyone will waltz out of the room and start singing I'm Walking on Sunshine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts