Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
My theory is that since caffeine blocks the chemical that induces tiredness (not sure if that's Melatonin or Adenosine), this chemical builds up while you're on caffeine, making the individual more tired once it wears off. As this doesn't occur without caffeine blocking this chemical in the first place, normal tiredness becomes underwhelming.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My theory is that since caffeine blocks the chemical that induces tiredness (not sure if that's Melatonin or Adenosine), this chemical builds up while you're on caffeine, making the individual more tired once it wears off. As this doesn't occur without caffeine blocking this chemical in the first place, normal tiredness becomes underwhelming.
Yeah, either that or the brain adjusts to have more adenosine receptors since the caffeine blocks adeonsine uptake. It seems like a plausible theory, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences because every single thing on the internet about caffeine says that it decreases sleep. Well, perhaps it does overall decrease sleep, but now that I'm addicted, I need it... that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Yeah, either that or the brain adjusts to have more adenosine receptors since the caffeine blocks adeonsine uptake. It seems like a plausible theory, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences because every single thing on the internet about caffeine says that it decreases sleep. Well, perhaps it does overall decrease sleep, but now that I'm addicted, I need it... that makes sense.
Essentially, yes. The body adapts its habitually decreased sleep into regular sleep, hence its withdrawal induces an increase in sleep. What is unnormal is converted into normalcy, ergo what was previously normal will now be unnormal (in an equal or opposite manner, in this case opposite).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts