Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like the NT's are brainiacs of the world. I mean, damn near every scientist, or great inventor has been an NT. NT's in general are known for their intellect. Personally, so many of my NT friends that I know are so intelligent that I feel like a idiot while being around them. Does this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I don't feel dumb when I'm around them cause I know I'm not *ego fills the room and balloons to fill the entire house*. But I often feel like they think I'm dumb or childish. o_O

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's probably just because certain things are more appealing to certain personalities. Knowledge and proficiency in science/logic are commonly recognized indicators of intelligence. These things are more likely to interest NT's (T's in general, really), and thus, NT's are more likely to have a greater ability to argue and larger warehouses of knowledge. This makes them seem intelligent to others (and they're quite possibly proud and aware of this fact), so they might flaunt it, intentionally or unintentionally.

The bottom line is that a lack of academic proficiency does not equal lesser intelligence. You probably just apply your mind elsewhere. Ex. tending to the emotions of yourself and others. It probably sounds like BS/patronization, but getting along with people is important for success. Maybe you don't get a 99 in calculus, but when that one person who sat next to you in that one class that you happen to befriend moves up in the corporate world, he's gonna remember his fun NF buddy, not the annoying NT that always knew all the answers.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It seems like the NT's are brainiacs of the world. I mean, damn near every scientist, or great inventor has been an NT. NT's in general are known for their intellect. Personally, so many of my NT friends that I know are so intelligent that I feel like a idiot while being around them. Does this happen to anyone else?
The short answer is no. Those kind are fun to lock horns with.

Surely there's something you excel at, and you can show your NT friends what you're made of ;)

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I don't put them on pedestals.

"NT" does not = genius. And genius does not = "NT"

I'm around plenty of ST scientists whose capabilities and competence go beyond that of the NTs' in my field.

Oh and Nate, one of the worlds leading (innovative) neuroscientists is Susan Greenfield, who is an enfp. She's the lady gaga of neuroscience (you should see the clothes she wears) but that's besides the point. NT's are no doubt driven to understand and accrue knowledge in many areas. And they don't like being known to be intellectually inferior (wheras you may be a little more relaxed in this area). If you as an enfp, have the same drive, like Susan, to glean information, I don't see the problem in being able to engage in dialogue with them. Ne can take you far.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Not really unless they say or do something that's supposed to make me feel dumb like laughing at me not knowing what they are talking about or being sarcastic or something.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I don't feel dumb when I'm around them cause I know I'm not *ego fills the room and balloons to fill the entire house*. But I often feel like they think I'm dumb or childish. o_O
I don't feel stupid either - I'm smart in a bookish way and know as much useless theory as the average NT. Math and science don't scare me *ego overtakes danse macabre's ego balloons and smothers them*. I do feel that some NTs fail to recognize when anyone other than an NT is smart. I think it's common for NFPs to not be taken seriously though.... Even teachers/professors would be surprised to find me one of the best students, I suspect because of my demeanor and appearance, which are spacey and girly, respectively.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
If we were trying to make you feel stupid, you'd experience something akin to mental rape.
...sounds kinky. I'm gonna go commit mental rape. I will be intellectually dominant!

Nate, some NTs act stupid...I'm one of them :p

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Nope. I don't get what they are saying half of the time, so I can't really judge whether their ideas are good or not:laughing:. Actually I am referring to the XNTP here. My main thought about everything is "wait, what has that got to do with anything?"

As for XNTJs they just seem privy to some information that I do not have my hands on. Gimme that information you hoarders of secret insights!!

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
NFs and SFs often invest their lives into areas that involve helping other people develop their potential. Society though celebrates an individual's achievements. Little acclaim is given to all those people who supported that individual in process.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Being NF with a rather strong T I regularly look over the fence. I dont think its anything to do with intelligence rather than intellectual curiosity compounded by the 'oh shiny' principle.
It is often frustrating to me to have so many different subjects inside my head but no one in RL to talk to about them. Thats why I spend so much time on the net.
I do however enjoy time with people who are enthusiastic about their own chosen profession because I can learn from them. It doesnt matter if that is an astronomer, a boat builder or a Fender stratocaster salesman. That is where my multidisciplinary predilection pays off because I am not often at a loss for words to say or questions to ask.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm almost always able to keep up with my NT friends, and I often surprise them with my own intellect. I'm one of those people with a lot of interests and I research random things as a hobby. I also have very good critical thinking skills and I remember almost everything I read. That, combined with my NF ability to be great at thinking abstractly... Well, let's just say I know that I'm not a dumbass, and so do my NT friends. :proud:

I do, however, feel like a dumbass when I'm hanging with SJs. :sad:

477 Posts
NFs and SFs often invest their lives into areas that involve helping other people develop their potential. Society though celebrates an individual's achievements. Little acclaim is given to all those people who supported that individual in process.
I disagree. As an INFP, I'm very individualistic. I think FJ's are the ones that tend to be highly focused on others' achievements, because of the Fe primary or auxiliary.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Well, obviously. My younger brother is so damn smart that I feel like an idiot around him. It's not a nice feeling, especially when you also value knowledge and don't have anything other than intelligence to base your confidence around.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts