Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a typical ISTP in that I love to do things with my hands. For example, I love to cook, and to sew things - I'm a pretty good seamstress even if I do say so myself! The thing I find really difficult with both of these is coming up with the project, or idea, in the first place. With cooking, I can cook almost anything without much difficulty, but I never know what to do and end up doing endless stir-frys because I can't think what else to do, even though I've never seen a dish outside a top class restaurant that I couldn't cook. It's the same with sewing - if my sister bought some material and asked me to make something out of it that she wanted, I probably could. But I would never know what material to buy, or what would look good, or have any idea what to make! I end up just altering a lot of things that I already have because it's like the decision is already made (if something needs to go up, or in, for example)

I know my examples might not be the standard ones but do you other guys ever feel like this? It's so frustrating for me, especially living with a very original/creative INTJ dad.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just take what tools I have and try different combinations to create something of my own.
Toss in some Ni and Fe and you'll be creating in no-time. Pumping stuff out like an INFP won't exactly happen; however you'll find that you're exceptionally expressive with different methods at different times. It's just grasping inspiration when it hits and using whatever medium you think it would work best with.

Seeing the way colors contrast and giving attention to that will really help bring a piece together. That, and I try to make something abstract, then add details. I'll spew out something random onto a sheet of paper. If it looks decent, I can add detail and the picture will sort of grow into itself. On one thing, I may spend quite a few hours just drawing and redrawing a certain part of the picture I think needs attention. However, this is mostly with what I want to be the focus of the image.

It's a process of working and reworking an aesthetic image from your mind to communicate a thought or emotion. :]
Hope this help you!

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I don't use tools very much, my creativity has more to do with giving ideas for stories to authors at fanfiction.net, and just recently, making threads in the istp forum. Sometimes I can come up with my own ideas, but more often I need some sort of inspiration from someone or something. And I also wish to give video game developers some ideas for video games, but I'm not sure how to do it completely safely.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm not 'creative' either. Whenever I try to create something it tends to be a jumble of things I already know. The results may be good, but they just aren't innovative or new and I feel like I'm just copying and modifying someone else's idea.

I think I use my Ti/Ni in a bad way when trying to think of the future. Instead it is better to use Se to go out gathering facts and Ti/Ni to analyse those facts (like go looking at different clothes and analyse what you like about them, what colours go well together, what designs or fabrics look bad). Then just act on impulse - run down to the fabric store, buy the first material or pattern that strikes your fancy and take it home and try it out. Having already analysed what doesn't work will hopefully stop any impulsive bad decisions.

The worse things that happens with creative projects usually just ends in them being binned and using up time and money, but then at least you learn another thing that doesn't work. It's like real life school.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Yes, I have this problem, especially with drawing. I found I must draw my inspiration from other images, and then adapt it. It does feel like copying, which annoys me.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I came to terms with the fact that I'm not creative eons ago. I can take any idea and make it work, but I don't get a lot of ideas myself (not artistic ones, that is). So, pretty much what everyone else said. :)

When I was at art school I frequently found myself at a loss for ideas. I'd usually end up painting abstractions of train wrecks or burning buildings. High on sensory, low on creativity.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'll echo the ladies^^. Every now and again I'll have a flash of brilliance but, for the most part, I just build off of the ideas of others. It's quite frustrating at times.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Same thing. I can't create, but I can copy the reality.

About sewing - I have watched Project Runway for funs and some technical ideas, studied a bit about color charts ( Determining Your Seasonal Color Palette ) and the body type thing ( Shop Your Shape - How to dress your body type female body shapes ) and I now think I might have a clue what would look good on me. "Fashion" is still odd, of course, as much of "art" but I have found that if I study the background rules (that is, if I can be bothered to) I might learn to use them. In photography I haven't got past the rule of thirds, thou.

In short - find someone/something that explains the theory in a short and concise manner and see whether using it would help. With some simple rules and some observation of how others have done it (succeeding or not) I can fake "creating".

·
Registered
743 Posts
When I was at art school I frequently found myself at a loss for ideas. I'd usually end up painting abstractions of train wrecks or burning buildings. High on sensory, low on creativity.
:crazy:

I once doodled a picture on a high school maths test of a B-52 bombing a bunch of stick figure men... that was fun to explain to the teacher. :laughing:

Like other posters, I'm at my best when taking something pre-existing and making something new. I used to get some kudos from my teachers in high school for my creativity on some assignments, but even then I was working in the framework of the assignment's instructions.

Anywho I read somewhere that Se deals with "opportunities" while Ne deals with "possibilities", so... yeah.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can't draw, can't write a song, can't make something out of thin air...so on the surface, creativity is a huge challenge.

Where my strength comes is taking an object, song, event, etc. and integrating some spur of the moment ideas which usually come out of nowhere (and don't sound very good at first) and with the help of others, we're able to create something unique and useful.

...and if anyone ever asks me who I did it, I can usually respond "It came to me in a dream". And sometimes that even happens too!

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I've always thought of creativity as a collaborative process anyway. Some people have ideas, and some people have technical ability. The ones who have both are called Picasso, or something.

I used to get some kudos from my teachers in high school for my creativity on some assignments, but even then I was working in the framework of the assignment's instructions.
Hehe, yeah me too. And I grew up with an ENFP idea-generating-machine as a parent, so getting my ideas from her was always the path of least resistance.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Tell me about it. I play piano and my INFP friend told me to create something. For so many times, I told him I can't. I can only play songs other people already played. I can only re-create existing songs.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
look for pictures. We use Se for our inspiration. When I'm utterly bored and have no idea what to do with my life, I go to some adventure store and look at brochures of expeditions and extreme sports. Magazines too.

The only time I can be creative is when something is right in front of me, and as rousse stated, my creativity is usually a collaboration of everything I like into something new.

So if I'm cooking and I have all the ingredients in my eyesight, I can draw new creative ideas much faster. Maybe you're the same way.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Maybe you're all looking at being creative in a limited sense? Creativity does not just entail novelty. It also consists of variety, adaptability and taking an existing circumstance to change into something different.
I just happen to be really good at fixing things and it allows me to be somewhat creative, getting around to figuring out a better way to get the task done.

I almost always put a certain amount of personalization into whatever I do, which in some ways is a form of creativity. The things that I like to do, especially my hobbies, I don't follow the crowd. I prefer to go in my own direction or I do it my own way, which I consider to be minor expressions of creativity.

Now if it comes to creativity such as in art or poetry, those things will only surface in me when my emotions are on a different plane. I get really poetic or artistic if I fall in love with a women and I may even feel motivated to make her a gift, something with my two own hands as opposed to just simply buying one.

Take for instance this bicycle. To the average person it's just a bicycle, but to me it is one of a kind. There isn't another bike in the whole world that has exactly the same mix of components and parts as this bike. Getting it all together required fitting an unusual collection of old and new parts together, a collection of standard and non standard parts, which definitely took a certain amount creativity.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You gave me some ideas to spread my creativity, thanks to all! I have the same problem as most of you, I'm bursting with desire of creating something but no idea what. When I want to draw, I usually redraw a thing I have drawn already 15 times; this is why I'm thinking of taking a drawing class this school year. I tend to feel such need in doing something with my hands all the time that I wanted to work for a removal company so I would pull the heavy boxes around :D But I really want to try art now.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I think in the end you're all saying you are creative, but not in the traditional connotation of the word. I generally use my creative abilities in resolving problems, by taking a prior experience, using it as a template and resolving the problem. It seems idea was creative to on-lookers, but I don't necessarily see what I did as creative since I had done it a thousand times before and it simply seemed the most pragmatic solution to the existing problem.
You gave me some ideas to spread my creativity, thanks to all! I have the same problem as most of you, I'm bursting with desire of creating something but no idea what. When I want to draw, I usually redraw a thing I have drawn already 15 times; this is why I'm thinking of taking a drawing class this school year. I tend to feel such need in doing something with my hands all the time that I wanted to work for a removal company so I would pull the heavy boxes around :D But I really want to try art now.
I think we all doodled during class, that really turned out spectacular. But drawing is only one avenue for creative exchange. AEIOU makes great points and reminds me of each time I had watched Paul Tuttle, Jr. his creativity is impeccable. The point is the creativity will come with whatever we are passionate about.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just happen to be really good at fixing things and it allows me to be somewhat creative, getting around to figuring out a better way to get the task done.

I almost always put a certain amount of personalization into whatever I do, which in some ways is a form of creativity. The things that I like to do, especially my hobbies, I don't follow the crowd, I prefer to go in my own direction or I do it my own way, which I consider to be minor expressions of creativity.

Now if it comes to creativity such as in art or poetry, those things will only surface in me when my emotions are on a different plane. I get really poetic or artistic if I fall in love with a women and I may even feel motivated to make her a gift, something with my two own hands as opposed to just simply buying one.

Now, take for instance this bicycle. To the average person it's just a bicycle, but to me it is one of a kind. There isn't another bike in the whole world that has exactly the same mix of components and parts as this bike. Getting it all together required fitting an unusual collection of old and new parts together, a collection of standard and non standard parts, which definitely took a certain amount creativity.

Edit: I'm the same way.
I get crazy bursts of creativity when I'm all into a chick. Poetry, drawing, ideas for paintings, music, everything. It's like vomiting my N into whatever medium it wants to be put into.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts