Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a huge gamer, I love RPGs, puzzle games, fighting games (though I can't play these for too long), racing games and platformers. I never liked sports games, but I don't have a problem with them since they're not forced down your throat in the gaming community. Every time I hear about "the next Call of Duty" game, I feel like punching someone. Zombies too, what's with the zombie craze? I admit, they did make zombies a lot more awesome for the modern world, but Jesus, give it a rest.

Lately, I've gone to retro gaming with my NES, SNES and Genesis because they're much more relaxing and challenging. I love figuring out what to do in the older games, unlike today where they hold your hand every 5 seconds and spend 50% of the game on cut scenes. RPGs are the only games where I enjoy watching a ton of cut scenes, since the story is usually very good.

Anyway, I'm getting off track here. I see literally no appeal in FPS games. None at all. I've seen people play them for hours...I get bored playing after one or two matches. Every game is the same, just with "new maps OMGZZ" and some new weapons.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not hate but it feels uncomfortable. I prefer third person so I can see everything. It's supposed to feel like you're the person in the game, right? But it doesn't feel that way.

·
Registered
451 Posts
People want casual gaming and at its heart fps games will really be the first ones people will go after. They don't require a ton of knowledge, skills transfer from other fps games, it can be incredibly competitive, and some people just find it fun. I for one have slowly weaned off of them but I remember some of my best moments in gaming came from crazy stuff that happened in battlefield bad company 2. It's really incomparable to other games in that regard, you get to be your one man army if you are good enough.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Is your problem with FPS or with Modern Military Shooters(MMS I suppose)?

And yes, zombies each grab a cat and fuck off, I'm sick of them!

The reason old games are better is because back then they actually had to make good games to make money.

·
Registered
INTP
7,037 Posts
The reason old games are better is because back then they actually had to make good games to make money.
Pretty much this.

Same in all fields, I reckon. When things get popular, they start to eject the proper intelligent and creative people, and instead it becomes a team of backslapping, money-making, talkers who decide how best to make a thing they don't even have the skill to make.

I believe this is true because I almost signed up to a 'computer games production' university degree. Luckily at the last moment I noticed there was no programming in it at all, and it was all just about the business, production, marketing and other bullshit. It's these people who decide the way games go.

Rant over.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was a huge fan of sci-fi FPS (hated realistic MMS and always will). For me it was a great way to relax my mind, have fun and get any negative emotions out. There are plenty of complex challenges in real life - this is why I often prefer simple, overly violent games to vent out and clear my mind.

Reactions: ouchies

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
I don't like modern military shooters and generic shooters. But there are plenty of awesome first person shooters out there. My new all time favorite being Shadow Warrior.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I also hate FPS. They stress me out. I feel like I'm always the one spinning around trying to figure out where I'm getting shot from as I quickly die. I'm also not a huge fan of any button mashing games.

Big fan of RPGs but I do agree that the genre has suffered since going more mainstream. They've made the games far too easy so it's just really mental masturbation when you play. If you compare say Skyrim to Morrowind, I think Morrowind is a far superior game. I remember in my youth playing games where you HAD to take copious notes. You could play a game for years and never win it (I'm talking about YOU Ultima 5 and MMII) ... a happier medium is maybe best.

I have a zombie theory. I think zombies are popular now because of a collective unconscious recognition of how disconnected we all are: from each other, our communities, our food, the earth. So zombies ring true with us.

Same for the post-apocolyptic scenarios that are so popular right now. Also a collective unconscious recognition that some of the social/political structures we have in place may be at risk of falling apart.

·
Registered
31,258 Posts
I like certain ones, especially ones where I first started out but now I cannot play them or really most games for that matter. I gave my ps4 to one of my parents in exchange for two iPods.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Love FPS games. I enjoy FPS games with great stories like Bioshock or competitive FPS games like counter-strike. I tend to think about the former as an artform and the latter as a "sport."

·
Registered
798 Posts
I get frustrated and bored with too much button mashing. I like a blend of problem solving, goal oriented questing, decision making and interactions with consequences that advance plot, and. . . killing things. Balance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I love FPS games and third person shooters, been playing them since I stealth installed Doom 2 on my grandmother's DOS system when I was 9 years old. Not a huge fan of console ones because they're so awkward compared to PC controls, but I suffer through the controller for the great ones, like Killzone 3.

Modern military is getting played out, but there are plenty of creative alternatives, like the Bioshock series, Shadow Warrior, hybrids like Deus Ex, and Bulletstorm. If you're on a retro kick, hit gog.com and try some oldies like Outlaws, Dark Forces, Duke Nukem 3d, and so on, or the original Deus Ex or System Shock 2.

That said, I much prefer single player over multiplayer, so if you're talking about appeal to those multiplayer centered FPS games like Battlefield, then yeah, not much interest. I usually never touch a game's multiplayer mode, unless it's cooperative, which I do with a friend.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I like Borderlands, I dislike Battlefield, CoD, Halo, and Team Fortress. Borderlands I find entertaining but I get bored of it after a few hours playing it and I have to do something else.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm not a big fan and a lot of FPS games and related games by the same big devs have themes make me uncomfortable for personal reasons. That being said, games that incorporate FPS can still be fun if done well.

I also fucking hate driving games with a passion. I HATE any portion of a game that forces me to drive.

Generally, platformers, RPGs, and puzzle games are more my style. Also like following indie games.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'm not a fan. I may have become a little bias though after I lost a boyfriend to Halo (being dumped because of a video game was a tough one to get over). Also, I'm not sure if it's because I grew up on 2D games or what, but for some reason I have yet get the hang of 3D movement.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like first person shooters, especially if they are of the "loot and shoot" variety. Far Cry, Elder Scrolls (Oblivion, Skyrim), Fallout 3/New Vegas, Borderlands, Uncharted etc come to mind.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Some are pretty alright, but I'm generally awful at them. I'm a fan of RPGs in particular the Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Persona, and Shin Megami Tensei series. I like good stories, interesting characters, and challenge in a game. FPS and MMS games really only offer one of those for me.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm not a fan of COMPETITIVE FPS, but i like cooperative fps. Competitive just pisses me off. My skills have sharply declined since I've taken on real life responsibilities from moving out on my own. I don't have time to play 5 to 6 hours a day or more like many of these gamers seem to have. Team fortress 2 is about the only one I'll even touch competitive wise. Halo makes me rage quit and Destiny is an like unbalanced Chinese water torture device....I dont see how anyone can really have fun with Destiny's competitive.

I do like Borderlands and Destiny's cooperative (not great, but its fun with a few friends). Mostly I stick to story based games or creative type games like Little Big planet or minecraft. I play a lot of binding of isaac and don't starve together too.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts