Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enneagram seems too vague to me and the quiz questions leave too many possible answers for me to feel confident with whatever reason seems to come up. I've received 4,5,6 and 7 before some to lesser degrees but still, such vast differences when taking tests.
Any clear cut ways to proper determine your type and wing?

I find that I'm an ever-changing person through the day and I'm constantly in different states and motivated by different things, energised through the release of creativity/accomplishment in different ways.

For instance, I often feel great when I'm being random, spontaneous, drawing crazy connections, making jokes acting immaturely.
Though sometimes I can sink into my zone and, with mellow music in the background, can create really elaborate, metaphorical, meaningful poetry that I'm really proud of myself for doing.
I have a great desire for sports, to be the best at everything I do. Constantly changing desires, wanting to pursue intellectual goals for however long the inspiration remains.

So how can you really determine your enneagram type is what I'm asking, I'm a little lost?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Just reading what you've said here, I'd go out on a limb and say you're a 7. I'd suggest reading this as a place to start.

Anyways. The enneagram can seem very vague if all you're using is online descriptions (it did to me for a long time), but those generally only cover the surface traits of each type instead of the core motivations that the enneagram really goes into. Authors like Claudio Naranjo, Helen Palmer, Susan Rhodes, Sandra Maitri, and Almaas are good ones to read from when trying to learn about the types in a more in-depth sense.

Personally, I had some trouble deciding between 9 and 2 for a while due to some issues with really understanding the self-anesthetization, but never really went away from thinking I was a 2 for long. Getting one of Palmer's books helped a lot, and then Character and Neurosis (a book practically worshiped by some here) sealed the deal on my type for me. Since then, I've not doubted my type in the slightest, and have seen no reason to start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had the same difficulty determining my type. For the moment I'm going with 5w4, since that is what I got on the test, but I'm still not completely confident that that is correct.

Reading some of the Enneagram books sounds like a good idea, I've been meaning to do that. In the meanwhile I'm continuing my online research into the subject.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Me too. I've at least narrowed it down to a triad (147) but I have no idea what order those numbers are in, their wings, or my instinct stacking. I keep reading and things just get more confusing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quiz questions aren't the best way to understand your Enneagram type. You'll answer quickly, while Enneagram requires a deeper understanding of your personality, instead. As we know, it's mostly about motivations rather than behaviours.

When someone asks me to find his E-type, I usually ask him:

1- What do you avoid? (Maximum 3 answers)
Anger
Need
Failure
Ordinariness
Emptiness
Deviance
Pain
Weakness
Conflict

This helps a lot as a first step.

2- I've found it's very important to understand how does a person feel at his worst: which are the causes that break his personality, which kind of sentiments consume him.

3- Palmer's thought about how different E-types pay attention is quite interesting. Every E-type has his own focus. There should be a topic about this in these forums.

At this point there should be enough informations to understand how to proceed (with other questions based on the previous results or not).

Sadly, Enneagram is quite hard for the beginners and it often requires a person able to introduce you to this knowledge. Once your Etype is found, you can try to make it by yourself.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I find that I'm an ever-changing person through the day and I'm constantly in different states and motivated by different things, energised through the release of creativity/accomplishment in different ways.
That is true of everyone - people, that is. A defining character of human beings is variability.
Will knowin some alphanumeric code make you different? Don't sweat it, Embrace and tenjoy your variability.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I've gotten 7w6 and 7w8. Neither is spot on. I've had 6 and 8 suggested to me. I'm not really sure. I go with 7w6 because I prefer to see myself that way over 7w8. :tongue: This was tricky but socionics was way harder.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Quiz questions aren't the best way to understand your Enneagram type. You'll answer quickly, while Enneagram requires a deeper understanding of your personality, instead. As we know, it's mostly about motivations rather than behaviours.

Anger
Need
Failure
Ordinariness
Emptiness
Deviance
Pain
Weakness
Conflict

I equally avoid failure, deviance, weakness, pain, and conflict. I have trouble determining my heart type, but I am interested what would you say.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would say you have been thinking enough (= too much) about your Etype. The answers may come more easily if you think about your whole life and especially childhood and adolescence (relationship with parents, especially).

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I would say you have been thinking enough (= too much) about your Etype.
Well, this is very true.

The answers may come more easily if you think about your whole life and especially childhood and adolescence (relationship with parents, especially).
Not sure, but then I'd probably pick conflict, pain and weakness.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm afraid we're going to monopolize this thread. You can contact me in private if you like, or open a topic for your identification in the proper forum.

By the way one of the three options will probably be associated to one or more experiences that you remember well. The others are probably driven by your mind.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Anger
Need
Failure
Ordinariness
Emptiness
Deviance
Pain
Weakness
Conflict

2- I've found it's very important to understand how does a person feel at his worst: which are the causes that break his personality, which kind of sentiments consume him.

3- Palmer's thought about how different E-types pay attention is quite interesting. Every E-type has his own focus. There should be a topic about this in these forums.

At this point there should be enough informations to understand how to proceed (with other questions based on the previous results or not).

Sadly, Enneagram is quite hard for the beginners and it often requires a person able to introduce you to this knowledge. Once your Etype is found, you can try to make it by yourself.
Sorry for taking a while to reply! I've been up and down between cities lately.

I would say I avoid weakness failure and conflict the most. Weakness probably being my strongest fear, I don't like to feel in any way controlled or in a position to be taken advantage of. There are many things I'd prefer to endure in order to keep rank so to speak that others wouldn't.
In conflict situations though I can find it difficult to maintain my composure so can feel like I'm embarrassing myself sometimes, which is probably why I can also avoid conflict too.

Does that give you any clues?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had a lot of difficulty determining my type. I thought I had a 9w1 type for a year, a 7w6 type for two years.

Currently, I think I have a 3w4 type. I say think because I was so certain in the past that I am reluctant to be certain now.

The difficulty was that, at first, I didn't even consider the "aggressive"/"extroverted" types. My entire life, I have been told that I am too quiet, and I have come to identify myself with that observation.

Also, I approached typing myself by reading the descriptions and typing myself based on which description I related to the most. I am the type of person who, once I knew the basics of the enneagram, would trick the test to get the answer that I thought was correct. I could see whatever traits I wanted to see in myself. I thought I was answering truthfully.

I realized I wasn't a 9 or a 7 by posting in the forums. I just didn't relate to others of those types and was always wondering if I had mistyped. I felt that I wasn't understanding the enneagram correctly.

I looked at type 4 again because someone was once certain I was a type 4 and because telling me what to do makes me rebel, but I didn't relate to it.

Looking at type 3 and remembering the things I have said and done and some of my more honest posts:

"I lie. I pretend. I act. I play along. I'll be whatever you want me to be. I'll be whoever you want me to be. I'll be perfect, a statue made of glass. You can pull me along by the arm like a doll. You can fill me with whatever thoughts and perspectives you want me to have. I'll do whatever you ask me to. I'll agree with whatever you say. But in the end, there is nothing there. An empty body."

Type 3 seemed to fit. I take traits that I like or that others like, and I try to exhibit them. I mold myself. I consciously change my look, my handwriting, the way I sit, the way I write. And there is nothing worse than being inactive, than doing nothing. Meditating is the closest thing to torture. And I have often thought that I would rather burn forever than live in a perfect world.

I remember when I decided to be apathetic because I admired the trait. But it was never natural. I remember when I decided to be fun. But being fun and having fun are different, and doing fun things was always just another goal. So maybe the 9 and the 7 tendencies arose from these decisions.

So I suggest that you look at what you have done before you knew about the enneagram, what you have said and written. What events affected you the most? Look at your actions and your motives, and you may find your true type.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've got my tritype decently solid (3-5-8), but I question the order every now and then.

Otherwise I have no huge issues.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I've got my tritype decently solid (3-5-8), but I question the order every now and then.

Otherwise I have no huge issues.
Funny, same tri-type same battle.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts