Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Target the other night, and some guy started talking to me in the CD aisle. He asked me about the tokidoki recyclable shopping bag I was carrying, and then we started talking about musical interests and stuff. Eventually, he asked for my number, and I have to say I was weirded out by the situation because this never happens to me! My friend and I had this discussion once about how we both give off this unapproachable look most of the time, so I was completely thrown off that I actually gave him my number, and afterward, I couldn't help thinking...
A. His basket was empty! Does he just hang out at Target to pick up girls?
B. Was he high? I wasn't even looking my best that day! No make up or anything!
C. Who the hell would actually try to hit on me?!

"C" eventually lead to:
D. I need therapy

Am I just over-thinking things?! I haven't the faintest idea what "normal" is sometimes.

·
Banned
3,426 Posts
I'm very rarely, if ever, hit on. So I can imagine how it would throw you off. I would be a little suspicious, but still hope that he's being sincere and honest.

Wait and see if he calls you.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I am a guy so I suppose this kind of thing rarely happens to me.

And I admit its kind of strange of someone right out of the blue asks for your number. We are not used to that kind of snap decisions and we will always wonder if its genuine or not.

Still, its been rumoured that this esoteric beastie called love(or at least attraction) at first sight actually exists.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
yes, I think they're having a joke.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
With the assumption that this has something to do with the fact that you're an INFP, I have some questions for you...This is because I'm trying to figure out Fi as well as Fi>Ne in INFPs.
What, exactly, would be the negative thing, to you, if he was not being genuine? Or was this solely reflective of how you view yourself?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I laughed out loud when I saw the thread title, because I can totally relate. But I think maybe D ought to be:

D) Automatically doubting the moral character of a person who is somehow attracted to you without actually KNOWING you.

I'm trying to be less judgemental about this though, or else I'll never connect with anyone!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Some guy once told me I looked cute in Bi-lo and asked for my number.
I was not cute. I had just come from a basketball game. I was sweaty and wearing mismatched clothes.
I told him that I could give him my number the next time I saw him when we weren't strangers anymore. I thought I was very suave. :bored:

Some guy also followed my sister around at a store one time and asked her to marry him.

It is definitely normal to be suspicious.
For me, though, I like interacting with strangers even if they are playing with me. I seem to have the most interesting conversations with people I don't know.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I laughed out loud when I saw the thread title, because I can totally relate. But I think maybe D ought to be:

D) Automatically doubting the moral character of a person who is somehow attracted to you without actually KNOWING you.

I'm trying to be less judgemental about this though, or else I'll never connect with anyone!
This happened to me yesterday, actually. I was hit on by this one guy who had a history of teasing me, and I was automatically suspicious. He said that he really liked me. His friend told me that he did, and the guy didn't deny it...:shocked: I'll wait and see how this plays out. I don't even like the guy. xD

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I was at Target the other night, and some guy started talking to me in the CD aisle. He asked me about the tokidoki recyclable shopping bag I was carrying, and then we started talking about musical interests and stuff. Eventually, he asked for my number, and I have to say I was weirded out by the situation because this never happens to me! My friend and I had this discussion once about how we both give off this unapproachable look most of the time, so I was completely thrown off that I actually gave him my number, and afterward, I couldn't help thinking...
A. His basket was empty! Does he just hang out at Target to pick up girls?
B. Was he high? I wasn't even looking my best that day! No make up or anything!
C. Who the hell would actually try to hit on me?!

"C" eventually lead to:
D. I need therapy

Am I just over-thinking things?! I haven't the faintest idea what "normal" is sometimes.
Aw, he talked about your recycling bag? I think this is the male version of me; often painfully awkward and dismal in conversation, resorting to pointing out random things and objects.

You will probably keep wracking your brain about his intentions (damn that si!) and I can empathise with not understanding why people could possibily like you. Do you doubt his feelings because of your own feelings about yourself? or because your intuition is telling you not to trust him? I know you say it's not in your experience to be hit on, perhaps that's feeding into this too.

I don't know, it always seems weird someone randomly coming up to you, but I've spoken to a few people about this, and i'm like this too.. generally I tend to initiate friendships etc but it's based off peoples "vibes" (so it's quite uncommon I do this). I come into contact with someone, and I seem to "just know" there's something about them that pulls me in. It's pretty instantaneous. It may seem abrupt and off putting to the other person because it seemingly comes out of nowhere.
Obviously there are some people with crooked intentions, i'm sure you have your guard up naturally anyway, but he may -actually- like you (option E) :D you may prefer to correspond via email and ask him why he decided to talk to you. Be brave... and report back melancolie! :proud:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would not be too paranoid about it since there are guys that like to approach girls out of the blue to look for dates, but at the same time, I can see why one would be thrown off. The empty basket reminds me of loss prevention work.

I remember six years ago, I was hit on by someone, and I figured she had to be joking since no one would want anything to do with me due to my personality, even one person thought the same. Some years ago, I had girls that I want nothing to do with approach me or act funny around me, and this was all because of my looks, its was terrible because all of them had undesirable personalities in my eyes, and I'm hardly interested in dating. If its someone I am actually interested in for once, then it needs to grow from the bottom up if that were to theoretically happen which I don't bank on. Trust is a big issue with me since I don't want to invest in someone I would end up having a fleeting relationship with. If those types that I mentioned got to know me, they would wish they never bothered. I see why one would be bothered if its a stranger you don't know.

·
Registered
112 Posts
so... think of it this way.. how many times have you seen someone randomly browsing cd's and wished you had the guts to ask their number? i know what you mean by it being weird an out of the blue, i would certainly be surprised myself, but that doesn't mean it's not genuine, right? just see what happens! personally, if i was ever to hit on some girl at target who i didn't know... i can guarantee she wouldn't be wearing makeup and probably wouldn't be looking like someone who's expecting to get picked up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just realized that this is true about me. Yeah, I don't trust people who randomly out of the blue hit on me. I don't think about what I think their real motive is - I just don't trust them.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Yes. I don't like the idea that it's something about my body, which must be part of it -> superficial/oversexed. I also sense desperation and the foul odor of extraversion, lol. It's not entirely bad if there's attraction to an "interesting" vibe, as some people are suggesting.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I was at Target the other night, and some guy started talking to me in the CD aisle. He asked me about the tokidoki recyclable shopping bag I was carrying, and then we started talking about musical interests and stuff. Eventually, he asked for my number, and I have to say I was weirded out by the situation because this never happens to me!
He's desperate for some action. He asked his internet friends for advice on picking up girls, and they told him to try the direct approach. "A music store would be good," they said. "Pretending to have the same taste in music works wonders."

The direct approach works at least some of the time, because women are highly susceptible to flattery. Being approached by a stranger is flattering. Just remember that he went there specifically to look for an easy "target." There's nothing flattering about that.

Be careful.

·
Registered
112 Posts
He's desperate for some action. He asked his internet friends for advice on picking up girls, and they told him to try the direct approach. "A music store would be good," they said. "Pretending to have the same taste in music works wonders."

The direct approach works at least some of the time, because women are highly susceptible to flattery. Being approached by a stranger is flattering. Just remember that he went there specifically to look for an easy "target." There's nothing flattering about that.

Be careful.
:dry:

i really feel like this jumps to a lot of conclusions... how could you have any idea that any of that is true?

be careful for sure, but, don't make assumptions out of paranoia... it's these sort of perspectives that make me terrified to ask anyone out anyway. never know if you'll happen upon someone who's already decided they know everything about you.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Except at parties, bars, and other places where people normally try to make connections, has hitting on an INFP ever led to something?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts