Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else experience it where you can be really interested in something (like a career path or hobby) but once you start being successful and it no longer becomes a potential it becomes an actual, you lose interest and start looking for something else? I've done it all my life and obviously I can't go through life not committing to anything, but I hate the feeling of being tied to something and even if it's something I've chosen to do, I hate the feeling that I HAVE to do something. It's a very childish aspect of my personality (kinda like when a kid was going to tidy their bedroom but then their Mum told them to and suddenly the kid has no desire to tidy their room and would rather do anything else! It's like that but amplified) and I'm currently trying really hard to stick to something and not run away to start over with something else.

Could it be linked to a function? Or is it simply just psychological- like something to do with fear of failure or not being good enough to live up to expectations?

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Kinda sounds like something you could connect with Ne, I think - Ne is focused on the world of possibilities, so once they become reality - well, that's not where the Ne is focused, so their interest shifts back towards things that are possibilities.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Kinda sounds like something you could connect with Ne, I think - Ne is focused on the world of possibilities, so once they become reality - well, that's not where the Ne is focused, so their interest shifts back towards things that are possibilities.
Makes sense, and this happens to me A LOT. Everything she described, especially the "when I HAVE TO do it, I really DON'T want to do it". MAN! I hate that about myself.

Question, @KillinIt, what's your background? Do you struggle with loneliness at all? Have an feelings of abandonment from time to time? Do you, sometimes, really hate yourself because of your past failures?
I'm trying to see if these link together.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question, @KillinIt, what's your background? Do you struggle with loneliness at all? Have an feelings of abandonment from time to time? Do you, sometimes, really hate yourself because of your past failures?
I'm trying to see if these link together.
I don't struggle with lonliness although I did once have a realisation that because I don't really try to hold on to friendships (for example when I moved to uni, I lost contact with practically everyone back home except my close family. It didn't bother me until I was going home and realised there actually wasn't anyone there (family aside) that I really cared about or was close to).

I've never had any feelings of abandonment and I never hate myself because of past faliures, I use them to encourage myself in the present. Sometimes I think I didn't give 'X' my best shot in the past and had I not let fear get the better of me I could have been doing something totally different and more enjoyable now. So it reminds me to just try my best, that way regardless of the outcome if I know I did all I could then there's no reason for me to regret it even if I do fail

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Does anyone else experience it where you can be really interested in something (like a career path or hobby) but once you start being successful and it no longer becomes a potential it becomes an actual, you lose interest and start looking for something else?
Carl Jung noted this behaviour when he described the Ne-dom.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Interesting, I thought Ne seemed like the most likely thing to be connected but I'm an ISFP (I think) so Ne is waaaay down in my stack
So isn't it time to start reconsidering your type? As you say, you are highly opportunistic to the point where you can't make the most out of what you have. One of those is typical of strong intuition, the other is typical of weak sensing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Interesting, I thought Ne seemed like the most likely thing to be connected but I'm an ISFP (I think) so Ne is waaaay down in my stack
It isn't just limited to Ne doms.
Any introverted Judger (P-types, pretty much) can easily struggle with this since the application of ideas to the real world is really not something we prefer.
It's something I really hate. I'm creative, but only in theory, never in practice.
I am endlessly looking for the answer to be able to stick to something to the end and finish it.
I have an ISFP sister, and no, she never finishes what she starts. Neither of us do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts