Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I was a little kid I've always really liked instrumental music or music with lyrics in languages I don't speak. Because of this I have a taste for new agey music many people find odd. I feel like this is primarily because I think the lyrics make the music feel like it belongs to the singers instead of me - they have a specific message that's hard to ignore and I prefer applying the music to my own life, feelings, and fantasies.

Also I tend to dislike musicians and live music in general probably due to envy - these people make a living and gain popularity for being creative and showcasing skill and I'm jealous.

Anyone else have thoughts on instrumental music?

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I love both music with lyrics and instrumental. I just love music in general. My mother said I have ever since I was a baby.
One type of instrumental that is highly underrated or just not considered because it's niche, is video game music. I've heard so many interesting, beautiful tunes in VG music that I wish people would take the time to listed even if they don't play video games. Also movie OSTs.

I also like music in other languages because different cultures have different melodies that the West just doesn't offer or can't even think of.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I wouldn't say I categorically prefer instrumental music to stuff with lyrics (I'm estimating that about 70% of the music I listen to on a regular basis has lyrics of some sort), however I have found for a long time that the sound and feeling of music is way more important to me than lyrical content. I find myself paying less and less attention to the words in a song as the years goes by. I do enjoy a good lyric from time to time and notice when I'm moved deeply by an insightful or touching lyric (and I used to write my own lyrics a lot), but I do connect more to music and the beauty of sound than lyrics. There's something about the vibrations, man ~

edit: and yes, I LOVE listening to songs in languages I don't understand too!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I listen to a lot of Broadway soundtracks or songs that tells stories with their lyrics. Although I love instrumental music, it's a lot of fun crafting comic panels or blocking for characters in my head that I can tweak and change to invoke certain emotions. I swear if I thought I could make it, I'd be a director or a film producer. I guess I'll just have to settle for being a playwright author, ha!

Back to the topic at hand. If I'm listening to instrumental music, it's almost always medleys from shows, movies, or video games, especially of the horror and fantasy genres. Music from these three sources are tailored to stir specific feelings, and adding my own choreography for imaginary people or reflecting on real memories and thoughts while listening to these is something I find to be incredibly energizing and focusing. During the best of times, swaying along to instrumental music is better than a shot of espresso.

Edit: I'm noticing a trend, but I too love songs in foreign languages. Without the muddling of grammar and words, a listener is free to hear the emotion behind the words. My favorite parts in Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 consist mostly of moments when they all sing in Russian. I don't know what they're saying, but I want to sing along and be as happy and celebratory as they sound!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ever since I was a little kid I've always really liked instrumental music or music with lyrics in languages I don't speak // I feel like this is primarily because I think the lyrics make the music feel like it belongs to the singers instead of me - they have a specific message that's hard to ignore and I prefer applying the music to my own life, feelings, and fantasies.
This falls so closely in line with my own experience and preferences with/for instrumental music.

I do like music with lyrics, but I'm incredibly picky; I don't like shallow, generic, pop lyrics in the slightest, or anything romantic for the most part (pick another damn subject planet Earth...), and sadly that dominates a lot of modern music that I come across. Your thoughts on the 'ownership', as it were, in music with vocals is something I identify with massively. I'm currently in the middle of writing a series of fiction novels, and I'm always listening to music that evokes an audio-visual experience in my head, and I want it to feel a very particular way - vocals usually create some kind of context, and that often puts me off (sampling vocal snippets in electronic music I can deal with, however - they're practically instrumental).

Also I tend to dislike musicians and live music in general probably due to envy - these people make a living and gain popularity for being creative and showcasing skill and I'm jealous.
On the contrary, I probably value the qualities of good live musicians more so than studio recorded; in a world where you can be made to sound god-like thanks to audio production technology, I rarely sign off as 100% satisfied with an artist unless they can kill it live. Also, I'm a singer/songwriter myself and I perform on occasion (I used to do it a lot, but now writing takes priority) so I'm fortunate enough to have only admiration for live performers; it's a pretty daunting and difficult world to get into, let alone maintain, so I just have a ton of respect for them.

I hope that insight was of some interest to you!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I love both music with lyrics and instrumental. I just love music in general. My mother said I have ever since I was a baby.
One type of instrumental that is highly underrated or just not considered because it's niche, is video game music. I've heard so many interesting, beautiful tunes in VG music that I wish people would take the time to listed even if they don't play video games. Also movie OSTs.

I also like music in other languages because different cultures have different melodies that the West just doesn't offer or can't even think of.
The only video games music I can say I like (except GTA or something) are the Touhou series and Persona 4 lol No other games get me humming along like it's the latest banger.

Maybe this doesn't count, but back in the day, you used to get garage instrumentals and people used to just skank out to them lol. I'd love to go to a garage rave just so I could see that cus it sounds amazing.

Reactions: Eren Jaegerbomb

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
The only video games music I can say I like (except GTA or something) are the Touhou series and Persona 4 lol No other games get me humming along like it's the latest banger.

Maybe this doesn't count, but back in the day, you used to get garage instrumentals and people used to just skank out to them lol. I'd love to go to a garage rave just so I could see that cus it sounds amazing.
Try listening to the MOTHER 3 ost, great variety and pretty good quality for a gameboy advance game. I mean the GBA having one of the worst sound chips out there...

I like some RuneScape, DKC and Pokemon (not all of it) music as well.

Also, this always gets me pumpin' :laughing:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Vastly prefer is an overstatement, strongly appreciate is more fitting. The instrumental part of music certainly triggers a deeper reaction and connection in me, nonetheless lyrics can be beautiful as well. Depends on the genre, depends on the band, heck, depends on my mood :D

·
Registered
398 Posts
I strongly prefer instrumental music, but I still like both.

I like ambiences, techno/trance, instrumentals(like piano, or rap beats by themselves) and 'Epic Music' like stuff they play in the movies that get you pumped up or make you feel deeply in some way.

·
Banned
2,129 Posts
I like both but at times find instrumental music more.. uh, "dietetic." Ya, know, low-cal, easy on the brain, less earworm afterecho, etc. I listen to synthwave a lot, for instance, bc it's not too saturated with phat distorted rhythm guitar chuka-chukas, but more slick akin to hi-tech AOR. Not much envy there, though, since by default, most of my life I've listened to music non-native to me, most English in vocals, although, even today, and perhaps because of my lack of comprehension back then, as a child, even now I'm unconsciously oblivious to the vocals and message. Whereas the people I hear, even INFPs tend to lean towards the message, the heartwrenching, tearjerking story told, instead of the overall quality of the sound production, instruments, composition, harmonies, ze hook!, etc. One INFP girl asked if I knew, aside the exotic stuff I referenced first, some more, ehem, "mainstream" bands, something more familiar of today. I said "U2," pffh, I could even tell anything more modern, maybe Snow Patrol... like who cares? Listen to some djent at times, some instrumental ones as well. I don't how people can be so shallow to turn away from the music itself and focus only on the poetry of lyrics. There has to be some blindness to it since the songs they reference have autotuned vocals, very simple musical compositions, everything electronically laid down rather than manually played to show some real talent, some funkyness (Extreme), playfulness, variation. How can they take that lyrical message seriously if the singer has obviously sold his soul to the musical industry and perhaps she doesn't even have any talent for music. I'd rather empathize with their message if encountered it in a poetry anthology. But yet again, perhaps the way that was composed in the lyrics had also been very naive to begin with, having scarce rhetorical figures, or over the top grand poetic images.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I enjoyed lyrics more when I was younger. Now I listen to instrumental music more because I find it expresses something more subtle, at times deeper. It feels more like it's getting to the root of a certain feeling or perspective; it's also definitely more fun for the imagination.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts